+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: time to get it resurfaced....competitive BJJ future?  (Read 20243 times)

Dannywayoflife

Re: time to get it resurfaced....competitive BJJ future?
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 05:14:46 PM »
Flexible no stubborn defiantly! The lack of flexibility was my main symptom. I couldn't even dress myself but was still rolling on the mats I just had to alter my style ;)

Just done a really hard judo session actually ;) went real well ;)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

surratt

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »
Thanks Chuck...yeah i dont even notice it while doing jiu jitsu...its when im walking around all day at work.  Taking time off jiu jitsu doesnt seem to help either bc the very act of walking destroys it just as much it seems.  Yeah Im on a roll  here training, making gains faster than i ever have and training with the highest level school ive ever been to...so to stop that momentum will be tough.  But the pain is getting so bad that im actually getting to the point where im looking foward to getting the surgery so i can have a pain free life back.....Its hard to explain to someone that it feels like someone is stabbing your hip 24 hours a day.  They dont see you making faces so they think you are fine.

You are correct though i am going to have to get mentally use to the fact that im out for almost a year and i cannot comprimise this surgery bc i want to start training early.
Bilateral Hip resurface Dr. Gross
12/13/17
12/15/17

hernanu

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 08:07:58 AM »
And they won't ever know how it feels, Jeremy. That's a road only those of us who have shared it know.

Another thing to consider is that as good a shape as you're in right now, your form may eventually be affected by the pain.  I noticed that in fighting, I was changing my approach, favoring techniques that were more brute force than my usual evade and counter, since those required quick movements that brought the pain.

The injury you have is not obvious. If you see someone with a cast, or fresh stitches, you acknowledge it and accept that they are in physical trouble. Others see us with outwardly fit bodies and wonder about the pain. Especially in a discipline where pain is an accepted part of each bout.

You are the best judge of what you want to accomplish and when it's possible. There are several martial artists here who have gone back to different activities, including MMA, BJJ, etc.

Whenever you decide you're ready, that will be the right time for you. It's major surgery, so it's not to be done lightly. Whichever you choose, we'll support you.

The only caveat is to keep track of your body with a surgeon so that you're still able to have an HR. Waiting too long can make you ineligible, but that's something only a surgeon can help you with.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

surratt

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »
Awesome...yeah hearing everyones stories and how they try to explain it to other people and it doesnt quite work makes me feel at home...no one has been able to understand except for people on this forum and i am thankful for that. 

Ughhh...i havent heard back from Dr. gross yet so I hope i havent done too much damage in the joint to make me inelligible...i guess ill find out soon enough.  I wasnt aware there was a point of no return. 

Man if this pain was to go away and i got a little bit of my hip mobility and flexibility back my performance would be way better.  Not to mention my overall attitude not having to deal with constant pain and the idea that my body is falling apart and crippled basically.

I wnt on a date the other day and she wanted to walk around the mall of georgia which is huge...i had to shut that down bc walking around all day just isnt an option all the time.   Dealing with the fact that your body cant do such a simple task makes you feel weak....so getting rid of that will be a blessing in itself
12/13/17
12/15/17

surratt

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »
You dont want to burden people with your problems and they dont understand anyway... so i can already tell the recovery process will be a lonely one in which I have to figure out on my own how to stay positive and productive....im glad i found this site bc I know it will help in my weaker moments
12/13/17
12/15/17

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »
Jeremy you will find this is a great place to vent and get advice in your recovery. There are several like minded members on here. Feel free to pm me anytime bud always willing to lend advice or an ear to a fellow martial artist

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »
You dont want to burden people with your problems and they dont understand anyway... so i can already tell the recovery process will be a lonely one in which I have to figure out on my own how to stay positive and productive....im glad i found this site bc I know it will help in my weaker moments

I don't think it will be that lonely. People surprise you. They may not know how you feel, and the more dense of them will be callous, but some will be relieved not to see the pain in your face any more.

Lean on the people around you, you may be pleased at who offers a hand, a receptive ear. I had three people really come across for me. Some that I thought would didn't, but all you need is some sincere people.

We will definitely be here for you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

chuckm

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »
David, you have a real poser of a question there only because the recommendation came for the famous Mr. Ronan Treacy.

My understanding is the indication for Hip resurfacing is to restore an active lifestyle. At 46 I had my left hip resurfaced. The pain had started to creep into basic life activities so I had no doubt about the surgery. But if I could go back in time I would have had my hip resurfaced years earlier when it first began to affect my soccer (football).

I was the same way as you when I first saw my surgeon. I told him I was OK if I kept to an inactive life. I only had problems when I became active, especially soccer. 

In the beginning I would limp for a few days after soccer . But that became limping for a week then two weeks until finally the discomfort would never leave. My body could no longer deal with it and my body was really twisted by then. 

Since you have bilateral FAI (I had it too), you already have permanent loss of your range of motion. So even if your hips suddenly feel good over the next year, you have to avoid activities that cause the bones to bang into each other (impingement). Those activities are usually the fun sports that require lots of motion from the hips.

What's it like after resurfacing? My resurfaced hip is great! I went right back to soccer (football) right where I left off. Only now that hip allows my leg to move where it should. And now I really see the effects of FAI on my other still native hip. I also had terrible back pain that is totally gone now with the new hip.

My advice is to be sure that Mr. Treacy understands that you really want to get back your active life.

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

surratt

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
wow reading this post 4 years later, im scheduled for bilateral with Dr. Gross in 3 weeks.  Training got to be too painful a few years after this post and i settled into 2-3 days a week and focused on other stuff.  i guess im ready to get it done now.  not looking forward to recovery but ill find other things to focus on until im fully healed.  Although im a little nervous as to how long this will keep me out of work, I planned for 8-10 weeks financially but i am a Auto tech for lexus and im on my feet all day so any longer than that will hurt me financially
12/13/17
12/15/17

packman

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »
In my op. , 8-10 weeks is pushing it to stand all day. Listen to all the advice about not rushing your recovery but listen to your body. Most athletes get a little over zealous and think they can “play thru the pain don’t be a baby etc.”  This is structurally different. It depends on your weight and fitness level too. My guess is if you choose this route you will be periodically standing or leaning  on one good leg for rest. Hopefully no heavy lifting of parts or tires.
I’m looking to upgrade my 10 year old excellent pristine gs450h so if you can get me $20k off an LC500.....
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

surratt

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2017, 08:02:59 PM »
bilateral done!  Im almost on week two.  At this point im planning to go back to work at week 10, i may have to push it to week 12 though depending on how i feel.  No way to know at this point, but that job requires me to be on my feet 8-10 hours a day.  Plus im lifting tires, to be fair I roll the tire up my leg and use momentum so its not like im lifting dead weight.  I dont have much of a choice, I simply cannot take 6 months off of work, I will do my best to guard my hip but at the 12 week mark ill have to get back to work.  Lol and good luck on that LC
12/13/17
12/15/17

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz