+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swelling question  (Read 8094 times)

ironwill

Swelling question
« on: May 10, 2015, 05:18:43 PM »
I am a 30 year old athletic male 6 days post birmingham hip resurfacing on my right leg.  Swelling is my only problem.  I use a compression cuff machine for half the night and a little during the day.  I started wearing compression socks to the knees and I ice constantly.  I walk frequently and can get across a room unassisted but use a walker most of the time. I know everyone is different but when does the swelling go away and not interfere with function.  Also, getting out of bed is the hardest thing to do. 

Miguelito

Re: Swelling question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
Hi Ironwill,

I don't remember exactly when the real swelling goes down, but I always describe log-leg as lasting about a week, so I would guess about a week, so I am hopeful you are almost in the clear. Of course, if you are really concerned, call your surgeon's office.

While you technically just said "getting out of bed", I agree that in and out of bed is the hardest thing post-surgery. What worked for me (and I really only discovered it late in my first recovery) is the inchworm method. It was a huge improvement for me. Basically just worming your way from and to the foot of the bed using your good leg and your arms. When going to lay down, you sit at the foot of the bed, as far back as you can, lay back, and then begin the worming your way back. Getting out do the reverse.

Nothing ever hurt worse than trying to get out the side of a bed, especially without a rail.

Good luck!

Mike

RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

JHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:15:32 PM »
If I recall correctly my swelling was at the worst right about where you are, and was very minimal by the end of the second week. Looking back at my old posts this is what I said at 3 weeks: "Localized swelling I think is pretty much gone, and I haven't iced in over a week if not longer."
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:49:21 AM »
I agree with JHippy on the timing.  I am day 13 post-op.  I had no swelling at first except for a little fluid around the incision area.  Then all of a sudden at about day 5 my operated leg began to swell from knee to foot.  I became concerned because of a family history of DVT so I contacted Nancy and asked for some guidelines.  She reassured me that this is normal as you begin to walk and exercise more.  The fluid begins to respond to gravity.  My swelling has never been painful or limiting, and as of yesterday (day 12 post-op) it has completely disappeared.  Hope this helps.

P.S.  I have been using Miguelito's method to get in/out of bed since day 1.  I did modify it a bit and placed a large garbage bag at the end of the bed.  I sat on this and slid around much more easily.  I got rid of the bag a few days ago and have no problem at all now provided I take it slow.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:00:48 AM by Comfortably Numb »
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

ironwill

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Good news is that yesterday my right quad was 3 inches bigger than left and today it is only 1.5 inches bigger.  Yay! Progress!  I did have my first formal pt session yesterday and today is the 8 day mark.  As for getting in and out of bed I have used a band around my foot to pull my leg in and out of bed.  I have mastered that now.  I only have to bother my wife the first time I get up so she can reattach the compression cuffs which I used for half the night. 

I don't know if this is related to swelling but I do think it does.  I wake up every 2-2.5 hours to pee at night and this didn't happen until the swelling really started.  I am hoping the peeing lessenes soon so I can get good sleep. I go to surgeon in 8 days for 2 week appt. I am hoping for big changes by then. 

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 01:05:14 PM »
"I don't know if this is related to swelling but I do think it does.  I wake up every 2-2.5 hours to pee at night and this didn't happen until the swelling really started."

I noticed the same thing at first.  I use to never get up for the bath room after going to bed, and then all of a sudden after surgery I was going 2-3 times per night.  Last night was the first time that I didn't have to answer nature's call.  Also my swelling is now gone, so you may be on to something.  From day one I've had a 46 oz. juice jar at bedside so I don't have to get up at night.  Once I got that thing mastered, I barely knew I was awake. 
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

woldaudio

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 12:44:18 PM »
Ironwill,

Had my second BHR done 30 March 2015. This one had a lot of swelling as compared to the first surgery. At post-op visit about 2 weeks after surgery,  the surgeon drained fluid from the incision site and all is well.

Ant

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 07:16:37 AM »
Hi, I'm a 47 year old former footballer on day 7 had BHR right hip. Started getting swelling above knee on day 5, been icing loads of walking about the house, get up from sleep every 2 1/2 hrs had waterworks since swelling starting to get bit worried if swelling stays the same next 48 hours will contact surgeon see if it may need draining. Has anyone had sore Achilles at night in bed wakes me up every night not manage to get a decent night's sleep since op.

petemeads

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 10:41:21 AM »
I was very swollen for a week (log-leg as someone else describes it!) but did not ice as it was never mentioned during my treatment. I put on half a stone (7lbs) briefly which must have been due to the fluid buildup but peed most of this away by two weeks. Some nights I had to get up five times to pee... My surgeon did not fit a temporary drain during the op, I see on the videos that McMinn does and probably others do. For me the whole thing worked out fine but I was glad to get over the disturbed nights.
I see you have read about the staples- not a worry!
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear