+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I Found a Kitten in the Road Today  (Read 6187 times)

blinky

I Found a Kitten in the Road Today
« on: September 01, 2015, 02:22:18 PM »
I found a kitten in the road today.

That has nothing to do with my hips, I know, but was a welcome distraction.

I was on my way home from the gym, where I had been lifting weights and doing abs to get ready for surgery, see this is hip related, when I saw something in the middle of a busy intersection. I figured it was just socks or rags, but no, on closer inspection, it was a kitten! I couldn't just leave it without checking if it was alive, so I hit my hazard lights and jumped out of the car, being careful to get the attention of the other drivers who would otherwise run me down. When I bent down to check, the kitten scurried away (alive!) but only partway across the road. Damn! If it had crossed the road I would have been off the hook. Now I knew it was in decent shape and still in danger.  I went in pursuit and scooped it up and took it back to my car.

Went home, unloaded perishable groceries, yelled until son woke up to help me find the kitten, who was now somewhere in the car (where?), put it in a box and get it to the vet for evaluation. The vet looked it---her---over and said she was fine. Six weeks old.

So now she is living in my shower until I ascertain if she is lost or abandoned. I think I have a new pet....

(FWIW this happened to me three years ago at an even busier intersection. That time the kitten had been hit by a car, had a broken leg, and was harder to capture. But we did catch him, and several thousand dollars later (!) we had a new pet. I am a sucker for kittens.)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: I Found a Kitten in the Road Today
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
Hi Blinky

Big Heart - bad hip!  Good for you.  Great when folks help the four legged critters.  Been There and done that.  Usually not in a lot of traffic.  Glad you were able to save the little girl.

I have done our local shelter website since 2001 and understand it all. 

Your post gave me a chuckle. Enjoyed it.  Good luck with the little kitten.  PS:  Gave your post it's own topic since many interesting items sometimes get overlooked in the discussion group.

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:19:44 PM »
Thanks Pat!

Three cats isn't too many. is it? Last child leaves home in a few days and the kids are teasing me that I will become a crazy cat lady once they are gone.

I told them I was giving each cat his own room. Hey, we have the space now.

TotalWus

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »
I'm a dog person but they're not allowed in my building. We adopted this guy at 8 weeks old and the size of a teacup from a gym bulletin board in 2001. He needed some radio-iodine therapy last year and he's slowing down, but still hanging in there.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:56:02 PM by TotalWus »

blinky

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »
Aw! What a handsome guy.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat