+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5th hip surgery, hopefully my last  (Read 4160 times)

Jace_Dees

5th hip surgery, hopefully my last
« on: October 11, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »
had some unfortunate luck with my resurfacings.   I had a bilateral set of re-surfacing starting back in 2007 and 2008.  Since then 3 revisions.  left side the acetabular cup came lose, so had that redone in 2011.  Then metallosis on the right side.  Had the femoral head cap replaced in 2012. now in 2015 right side had metallosis again, had it replaced with a poly total.... no more metal on metal for me.  I think they stopped selling them in the US.  Hoping my blood tests shows all is good with the new hip and no need for #6 on the left side.   Dr. Pritchett did all my surgeries and he is still the best choice for complicated cases as well as first timers.   I think the ortho devise companies need to come clean on the risks.... lack of testing... and what they really know.   

Metal on Metal may not be the best option for all.   

MattJersey

Re: 5th hip surgery, hopefully my last
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 02:04:01 AM »
That is pretty exceptional against the backdrop of positive stories on here. Sorry to hear this, and hope your fifth is your last.

Were there any special circumstances? Other aspects other than just OA? Maybe some dysplasia? AVN?

It would be interesting to hear.

Good luck.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

blinky

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:15:17 AM »
You have had a rough time of it. I hope this is the last revision you need, and am also curious about any complicating factors in your case.

Jace_Dees

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 01:29:34 PM »
Going on 5 weeks post surgery, no issues and the new joint is feeling pretty good. 

With the prior surgeries or conditions there was no dysplasia or issue with dislocation.  The issue I had with the acetabular cup was I think around the porosity of the mating surface.   It just did not adhere and came lose.   I must say it was a constant ache for a year plus before I had it replaced.  The right side was both revisions were due to excessive metal particle being released.   My body did not like that and I had metalosys both times.    Instability of the joint, pain walking or bending down plus noise in the joint.   I am hopeful with the plastic joint. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear