+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: ice Hockey Goalie Update  (Read 3732 times)

Gibby

ice Hockey Goalie Update
« on: July 12, 2016, 12:17:16 PM »
I have been playing ice hockey as a goalie for over 50 years. I am 57 and playing a the highest men's league level in my area. I have severe OA in both hips. I still play but have to consume 4 Advil before a game and a couple after. I am athletic, 6"2" and 220 lbs. Over the past 4 to 5 years i have not been able to get into a butterfly position because if the OA and hip impingement in both hips.

I have investigated arthroscopic hip resurfacing surgery with Dr. Marc J. Philippon from the The Steadman Clinic, total hip replacement and hip stem cells.  Due to the OA I was not a candidate for arthroscopic hip resurfacing surgery, THR would eliminate my ability to play ice-hockey goalie again, and stem cell is far less effective in the hips than in the shoulder and knee.

I have scheduled my surgery with Dr Gross, in November 2016 and the second hip on January 2017. My goal is to be able to continue playing goal at my current level within 9 months of the second surgery.

Has Dr Gross done hip surgery on any ice hockey goalies? The old goalie post is 4 years old. Anyone that is an ice hockey goalie can you share any updates since your hip resurfacing surgery? It sounds like 9 months is reasonable from a physical standpoint, but the mental barrier may be greater? Any new feedback.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:18:49 PM by Gibby »

Puckeater

Re: ice Hockey Goalie Update
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 11:34:20 PM »
Just had bilateral resurfacing with Dr. Su. I too was forced out of the butterfly after about 40 years playing, and became more of a Phil Esposito.  I went in for surgery on a Thursday came out Saturday and was hobbling around my house on Sunday without my crutches. I'm 50 and the Same basic size as you.  You should consider bilateral. I will post as I get deeper into the recovery and hit some milestones, for now totally pumped with where I am 3 days after surgery.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat