+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery in February, NEED SOME ADVICE!  (Read 1736 times)

ArthriticHip

Surgery in February, NEED SOME ADVICE!
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:23:10 PM »
Hi Everyone - I'm scheduled for hip resurfacing in my left hip end of February with Dr Peter Brooks. Question: I've heard that it is beneficial to get your leg that will be operated on in as good a shape as possible prior to surgery? Was hoping you could give me some feedback on this. Given the arthritic pain I've had in my left leg for the past several years, the leg has become out of shape as my other leg has compensated for most of the activity work load. Your feedback is much appreciated.
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

Joe_CA

Re: Surgery in February, NEED SOME ADVICE!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
Hello AH,

Before my surgery I asked similar questions. The first responses were to simply improve your fitness in general, meaning your lower and upper body. This was good advice, as I really needed my shoulders and arms to be strong for activities like getting out of a chair/bed for the first couple of weeks (I had bilateral surgeries, so I didn't have a good leg to use). So I continued to hit the gym prior to the surgery date. Did a lot of weight training on all body parts where I could. Because of my arthritis, I could barely do exercises like lunges, but I tried. I did everything I could, and I believe it helped in my recovery (that, or I was just lucky). So hit the gym if you can, and try and get all of your muscles tone (and you can concentrate on your left leg a bit too). A stationary bike might be a great idea as well.

Good luck,
Joe
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

ArthriticHip

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:21:42 PM »
Great advice Joe, thanks for the response!

karlos.bell

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »
 :) Hard stuff. If you work at the exercises sometimes it makes it more difficult for surgery due the muscles are stronger so the operation is harder. A balance I would say not too much not too little. 8)
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

ArthriticHip

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 03:43:59 PM »
Thanks Karlos, I appreciate it.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat