+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: anyone having revisions?  (Read 2200 times)

ricol

anyone having revisions?
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm just in the final stages of coming to my decision to have a resurfacing with Dr. Su, rather than a THR also by Dr Su. Surgery set for August 9th. I'm 41yo active male, have been worried about long term effects of metal etc. vs the prospect of reduced activity with THR and the risk of dislocation and early and multiple revision.

I've read some posts about a few people on the site who have had to go for early revisions. I'm very sorry to hear that.

I was wondering if there are any of you that have had a successful long term outcome with your resurfacing who are now coming due for an expected revision. Wondering what your stories are.

Thanks very much.

Joe_CA

Re: anyone having revisions?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »
Hi Ricol,

"expected revision"? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of folks here who have had their hip(s) resurfaced for 10+ years, and who chose excellent surgeons like Dr. Su,  will fully expect their devices to last their lifetimes. Let's see what they have to say... :-)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:09:21 PM by Joe_CA »
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Saddlepal3

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 06:09:34 PM »
Funny you should ask...I had my right hip resurfaced in 2006 and it was a success. Just this year, I am running into issues. Important to know that I am a small frame female and my femoral head was 44mg. Given that, I have done remarkably well for a high risk group.
If Dr. Su believes you are a good candidate for a resurfacing, I’d believe him. Go for it!

MattJersey

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
Saddlepal, how would you describe your issues?

Can you relate them to anything, excessive use, particular injuries, a fall ... Are you still in good shape and looking after it, keeping it strong and tight (and flexible!)?

Hope issues pass and you enjoy a further 12 years!

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Saddlepal3

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 06:54:52 AM »
Matt, You can read my story under the topic “Surgeon disagreement.” It’s related to the fact that I am in a high risk group. Most surgeons no longer do resurfacing on small frame females. I actually feel great. Am not an “athlete” but I work out daily. I had routine blood work done in April. When the levels came back elevated, I had an MRI. Results were reviewed by several of the top resurfacing surgeons: they noted fluid build up around the joint and 3 recommended revision. I have that scheduled for September.

MattJersey

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 03:41:28 PM »
Ah, ok, sorry (forgive my poor memory). Ok, well good luck with the revisin., I hope you're back with an equally successful out come from it.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

karlos.bell

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 02:05:39 PM »

Hi ricol.
Yes me.  FAI and on crutches for 8 years total of 10 years off work. Back at  work running life etc is a lot better.
Metal levels.
Chromium 0.191 PPM or 191 NPM
Cobalt  0.147 PPM or 147 NPM. (nano)
Fitting is by the most successful method  I can see for low levels.

I hope that is correct.
Long term effect I think will be nil or near enough...………. 8)
Cheers K
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:07:00 PM by karlos.bell »
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat