+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: 3 days post op  (Read 10614 times)

Todd

3 days post op
« on: January 10, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »
39 years old and just had my left hip resurfaced on Wednesday in Stillwater, MN with Dr. David Palmer. The whole event was actually enjoyable and the care I received was exceptional.  Each day since I have felt better as far as movmement and stability. I do have some back pain that I would guess is related to compensating for the bad hip for so long, or from less activity since surgery. Any thoughts?  I've got some swelling that seems to move throughout my quads and hamstrings and I am perpetually icing to try to bring it down.  I reduced my percoset meds from 2 tablets/4hrs to 1 tablet every 3 hours as I'm not really feeling pain.  I do have a perpetual headache that is bugging me though.  Any relationship between reduction of pain meds and the headache?

I will be doing my right hip in 8-12 weeks, and am looking forward to a long active life!

todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: 3 days post op
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »
Todd,

It sounds like you are progressing well and you sound as nuts as I am.... I actually enjoyed the experience to a degree and the care I got was really great.  Of course waking up with a log attached to my hip was not fun.

You are going to have discomfort in those muscles for probably another week or so, it seems around day 10 or so things improve a lot.  Your headache might be due to the meds that were given to you during and before your surgery, many patients have had luck by increasing their fluid intake to flush out your system.  I doubt short term pain meds would cause a withdrawl headache, but then we're all different.  I've never done well on pain meds, they knock me out, my wife has in the past taken 2 tylenol 3s and been fine, one will put me out for hours.

Keep up the ice, if you have pain you're not a wuss for taking pain meds.

Take care.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Todd

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 05:03:15 PM »
Thanks for the info Chuck.  How long ago did you resurface?  It's pretty amazing in hindsight at what hip pain did to me.  Just thought I was getting old...when the pain finally got unbearable last year, I actually had an xray taken, and the doctors said "wow".  Now I know why it had hurt so much.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back into shape, running, playing and such.  What a great site this is!  I am planning on taking it slow and steady. 

todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:32:45 PM »
"The whole event was actually enjoyable..."

REALLY?

LOL, I got good care, but "enjoyable" is not a word I would consider using to describe the experience...  :o ;D

The swelling goes down faster than you imagine, ice is your best friend there.

I was on oxicodone for pain management, no negative affects at all.  Talk to your doc, maybe the perk doesn't agree with you?  I found myself needing less and less pain meds at about the 3 week mark, now at 4 1/2 I take just one pill at night to help me sleep.

I was really afraid all the laying around at first would trigger some back problems, but so far so good, nothing yet. [Fingers tightly crossed]

Be sure to check back in with us when you get the other side done; not a lot of info anywhere on how that experience goes so close to the first surgery (you did say 8 - 12 weeks?).
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »
Hi Todd

Congratulations on your new hip.  Glad to hear things went well in the hospital for you.  I know people think it sounds strange to say the experience was enjoyable - but my experience in Belgium was the same.  Great care and I had a wonderful time recovering along with a bunch of other surface hippies.

It will take your body some time to heal and rid itself of all the anasthesia and meds.  I would guess they are causing your headaches. Sometimes bloodthinners can cause headaches and sweats too.  You might want to ask your doctor for some different pain meds to see if they are causing your headache.

I was lucky and only need Advil after leaving the hospital.  Maybe you don't need strong pain meds at this point.  Each patient is different.  It is best to talk with your own doctor.

Your recovery will take time.  The swelling and incision uncomfort will eventually dissapear.  Each person heals at their own rate. There is no way to push or rush your recovery.  Your body is now in control.  It does, however, help to have a good postivie metal outlook - which you seem to have.

Good Luck and be patient. You will have a great summer using the new hips!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Todd

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:15:35 PM »
Mudpro,

8-12 weeks for the second is the minimal recommended time that I was told by Dr. Palmer.  I will certainly let the healing process dictate the actual plan, but apparently that is the expected.  We'll keep you updated.
Enjoyable--yeah, maybe not enjoyable, but I guess I am really excited to have a "normal" existance again.  It has been hard waiting, so to finally have the procedure done brings me to the next segment of the journey.  Exciting..

The nurses asked if I needed to buy a sock assist tool, but I told them I've got 4 kids who can do that.  They've been super in helping with the little things that are a lot more difficult to do these first days.  We've got a 2 hour Ice pack rotation with the freezer, so it's been  a continouous effort on that front.
todd

Todd

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »
Pat,

Thank you for what you have done here!  I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to search for answers for you and others previously.  I'm excited to give the hips a real workout this summer.  We'll let them find their way in their own time.

todd

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »
"The whole event was actually enjoyable..."

REALLY?

LOL, I got good care, but "enjoyable" is not a word I would consider using to describe the experience...  :o ;D

LOL

Well I did say we were nuts.

Thanks for your posting Mud.  I always like to read what you have to say.

Todd:  My surgery was August 6th 2008

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Tarhoo2

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 06:09:54 AM »
Todd,

Congratulations on your first BHR.  I've had BHR's on both hips -- 3-1/2 months apart (12/18/07 and 4/4/08) -- and look forward to returning to activities I haven't done for years, like running, in April (my OS' protocol is 12 months for high impact activities).  I was able to play golf again by the end of July.  I'd be happy to share my experience with you.

While I can't really say I enjoyed the surgeries, I would say the experience was very positive.  As soon as I was fully, or mostly, conscious in the recovery room after my first BHR, I realized I was in less pain than before the surgery.  With that experience and expectation, I actually looked forward to the second BHR (and I am, or used to be, a total wuss about surgery, hospitals, etc.).

We all love to hear fellow surface hippy's stories.  Please let us know how you're doing.

Jim

Todd

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »
Thanks Jim. It's amazing how much better I feel today than yesterday--4 days now...I actually put on my own underwear without help today.  Very proud moment you must agree.  It wasn't pretty, but it was safely done and pain free.  I'm not one to ask for help if I can do something myself, but at the same time I'm not stupid enough to risk undoing progress to prove a point.  That said, it occurred to me as I was hoisting on my pressure socks with grabbers and shoe horns that my right hip (the one that hasn't been fixed yet) was the hip where I felt pain. Other than lack of flexiblility, the new one felt great. That is a good sign! 

I'll let you know how thing progress.  Thanks for the support!  This site was a wonderful source prior to surgery to gain some perspective and get answers.  Now it is a valuable source for post-op support. Thanks Pat!

todd

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats