+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Perthes and resurfacing  (Read 1770 times)

DAN

Perthes and resurfacing
« on: January 12, 2009, 08:52:08 AM »
Hello Pat it's me Dan again, i sent my xray to Dr Bose last friday to see if in his opinion he could do a resurfacing and says that no he could not because it would not restore my body mechanics like a total hip replacement would do so he says that the best option would to go total, i found that disappointing, but i'm still waiting for that second opinon

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Perthes and resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »
Hi Dan

I am sorry to hear that Dr. Bose does not think you are a candidate for hip resurfacing.  I will be interesting for you to get some other input too.

Please remember that hip resurfacing is not the only solution to hip problems and pain.  Sometimes a MOM THR is the best solution.  A MOM THR will allow you to be just as active as a resurfacing and remove your pain.  Yes, they will cut part of your femur off - but you will be able to lead a normal, active life again.

Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going.  If you should decide on a THR, please feel free to stay in touch.  I have started a category for people requiring THRs or revisions to THRs.  We will continue to support you until we hear you are leading and active, pain free life.  After all, that is the goal for all of us.   ;)

Good Luck!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DAN

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »
With a MOM THR would i be able to play hockey and weightlift again. If you like Pat i could send you my Xray picture if you are interested, if you are comfortable with givingme your email, mine is dan_latreille@shaw.ca

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
Hi Dan

I am not a doctor or even medically trained.  I would not be able to look at your x-rays and tell you any usable information.

You really need to ask your surgeon if you will be able to play hockey and lift weights.  Only your surgeon can give you medical advice.

I am sorry I can't help more.

I do know many people with MOM THRs are very active and most don't have any restrictions that I know of.  Again, this is a case to case situation which only your surgeon can advise you about.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DAN

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »
well i definetly appreciate your help and thanks again!!!!

Dan!

annie

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:32:02 AM »
Hi Dan,

I had a slipped femoral epiphysis when I was 11 and had stuggled on an off for years till about the last 2 years where the pain and extremely limited ROM, tiredness and general lack of being able to do anything got to me. 

The consultant I saw in Aberdeen Scotland (Mr Ashcroft) said that he thought he could do a BHR and when I awoke after the procedure on 22/10/08 he had managed to carry that out.  In your shoes I would definately get a 2nd opinion.  Some surgeons are unwilling to operate on SFP's as it can make the operation more difficult and they sometimes have to perform a THR but cannot say for sure until they are carrying out the procedure. 

I have to say that I am delighted with mine as I can now lie in bed with both legs flat and my strange gait has gone.  Still have a way to go yet but the pain has gone.

Good luck.

Annie
the frozen scottie

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat