21 (6.8%)
Longer than 2 months post op
40 (13%)
I have a desk job
49 (16%)
I have a very physical job
30 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Author Topic: Poll - How Long Before You Returned to Work?  (Read 31957 times)

Wyoming Kim

Re: Poll - How Long Before You Returned to Work?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
I had my 6wk. post-op appt. this week....I've got a very physically demanding job as a carpenter specializing in custom homes. I wish I could do as Woodstock Hippy and not have to return to work, but that's not possible in my world. If it weren't for having to move about like a monkey on the site I could be going back to work now but will continue my PT and strength training so that I can go back in 8wks. post-op without any special treatment.
8/29/12 Right BHR...Dr. Cook, Leawood, KS
48MM Head/ 54MM Cup
2/1/17 Left BHR...Dr. Cook, Leawood, KS
48MM Head/ 54MM Cup

hernanu

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 01:10:37 PM »
I think that's wise, Kim - also make sure you observe weight bearing restrictions, want to be careful for however long your surgeon thinks it's needed.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

De Sisti

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »
I had my op on 19 Sep 2012 (picture) and have a sick note up until 30 Nov. At around that time I'll be invited into
work by Occupational Health, with a view to easing me back into the work place, with desk realignment and short
days initially. I probably won't be working until mid December.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:40:28 PM by DeSisti »

hernanu

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
Welcome to the site!

At four months, that should be fine. Are you doing any Physical Therapy?

lycraman

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
First day back today  >:(  :'(

That's 7 weeks but as I drive a lot for work it was the driving long distances that was the problem and the discomfort from the car seat on the scar site.  No pressure from the company to come back so took the time to concentrate on getting fitness  and function back.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

lycraman

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 02:38:20 PM »
I had my op on 19 Sep 2012 (picture) and have a sick note up until 30 Nov. At around that time I'll be invited into
work by Occupational Health, with a view to easing me back into the work place, with desk realignment and short
days initially. I probably won't be working until mid December.

Hi De Sisti.

Welcome to the site.  Glad you followed my link from YACF! Make the most of your time off work.  I went back to work yesterday and now wish I'd taken the opportunity to take a couple more weeks off to get the fitness back.  However, I saw my first customer this morning and I realised that my brain had gone to mush after only 7 weeks!
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 06:23:17 AM »
I went back to work on light duties at 13 1/2 weeks. I'm still on a gradual return working 2-3 days a week with a no heavy lifting restriction until February/March.
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

gianstar

• no crutches day 3, kettle bell squats week 6...FUN
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
I had surgery Wednesday, went to the office after I left the hospital on Friday.  Was back full time following Monday, but this is a desk job.  I was off crutches 3rd day post op, with decent limp.  Limp gone completely by week 4.  I credit an intensive 3 months of conditioning prior to surgery, with my trainer Ken Ward of 24 Hr Fitness.  We did corrective exercises and core strength to try and deal with the cascade of bad stuff that happens when your body compensates for a bad hip.  Not a typical recovery, but if you are able to strengthen prior to surgery I think the outcome is greatly improved.

hernanu

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
I had surgery Wednesday, went to the office after I left the hospital on Friday.  Was back full time following Monday, but this is a desk job.  I was off crutches 3rd day post op, with decent limp.  Limp gone completely by week 4.  I credit an intensive 3 months of conditioning prior to surgery, with my trainer Ken Ward of 24 Hr Fitness.  We did corrective exercises and core strength to try and deal with the cascade of bad stuff that happens when your body compensates for a bad hip.  Not a typical recovery, but if you are able to strengthen prior to surgery I think the outcome is greatly improved.

Welcome to the site, that's a very good recovery.  I also had good luck with both PT and trainers afterwards.

Everyone recovers at a different pace, but it is good to do some preparatory work if you can. The goal is always to be good for the foreseeable future.

How long ago was your surgery, and how are you feeling now?

gianstar

• no crutches day 3, kettle bell squats week 6...FUN
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »
My surgery was 11/14/12.  I am now about 6 weeks post op.  Limp gone, only residual pain (not really pain truthfully) is when I put my left sock and shoe on.  Still a bit tight.  I am back in the gym doing mostly PT and very mild workouts.  Following Dr.'s advice now running or impact until 12 weeks total have passed.  The prep work was a huge benefit, but now that I know more I would have spent some time doing leg raises, that has been the biggest nuisance in recovery.  Those muscles aren't cut during surgery, but apparently they get pretty abused during the surgery just the same.  I would strongly recommend strengthening and stretching front of hip area, which I did not focus on.  Please remember that I am relatively young and in shape at 40, so my story may not be typical.  All I'm saying is that if you can prep before surgery by training the supporting muscles, recovery apparently is better.  Good luck everyone!

arff2004

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »
Went back to work full duty as a firefighter in Fort Myers Florida at 8 1/2 weeks.  1 year post op now and resurfaced hip feels great.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear