+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metal Ion Testing???  (Read 3369 times)

Mudpro

• My Work
Metal Ion Testing???
« on: January 16, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »
What kind of test determines if the metal ion level in our bodies is remaining normal or are increasing to levels that would cause concern?

What are the numbers?

??? ??? ???
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

B.I.L.L.

Re: Metal Ion Testing???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »
What kind of test determines if the metal ion level in our bodies is remaining normal or are increasing to levels that would cause concern?

What are the numbers?

??? ??? ???

Good question, and where can we go on our own to get it tested if your Dr. were to tell you something like,
"There really are no tests" ?

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:58:01 PM »
Guys,

I've never seen anywhere that tells you X number and above is unsafe, I am sure if you call your doctor and you are concerned about it you could get a test done, you'll need a script for it.

Now, once you get the numbers you will know if you're average or above average, BUT, if you are above average what number is considered "toxic" to your system.  That I guess is the big question, give your doctors a call.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »
I suspect that some form of kidney function test might be a good indicator?  Does anyone have any experience or insight in this area?

Maybe a good question for one of the Doctors in the upcoming chats?

I see my Doc on Tuesday for my 6 week checkup, this will be on my list of guestions; "how do we monitor if metal ion levels are building up to a level that would cause concern?"
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »
Please post back what response you get.

Kidney levels are an indicator of ion problems, but I believe there is a metal level test.

The chats coming up would be a great way to get a response from doctors on that issue.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Bionic

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »
Also keep in mind that many companies sell chromium supplements claiming a wide range of positive health effects, including weight loss and reduced insulin resistance.

Here's one site that says average chromium levels of people in Asia are five times higher than levels in the US, which would put Asians at roughly the same risk as hip resurfacing patients: http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Weightloss/Research/chromium1.htm

Note that this site includes product placements and other advertising, so its claims should be taken with a grain of chromium (or salt).
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

stevel

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »
Blood and urine tests are available to determine the concentrations of chromium and cobalt.  The chromium test is called Serum Chromium.  The natural concentrations of these metals is low (on the order of ppb or parts per billion or ug/l or micrograms/liter) and hip resurfacings increase these levels during break-in periods and thereafter but nobody knows what the safe levels (with respect to toxicity and carcinogenesis) are for the long term.  See www.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/content/abstract/89-B/2/169 for more information about metal ion levels in young and active BHR patients.

Cement contains chromium and concrete workers have elevated levels of chromium and pottery workers have elevated levels of cobalt but the toxicity levels must be much higher than lead which is rigorously monitored for workers exposed to lead as required by OSHA.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:35:21 PM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »
Also keep in mind that many companies sell chromium supplements claiming a wide range of positive health effects, including weight loss and reduced insulin resistance.

Here's one site that says average chromium levels of people in Asia are five times higher than levels in the US, which would put Asians at roughly the same risk as hip resurfacing patients: http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Weightloss/Research/chromium1.htm

Note that this site includes product placements and other advertising, so its claims should be taken with a grain of chromium (or salt).

Yes, look at vitamins that contain "minerals".  The problem with the ion issue is there is not much known yet about what really happens when you have elevated levels. 

I personally think if the ion issue was really a serious one we would have all been tested @ 6 weeks, @6 months and at a year to see if our levels are high.  I would agree that they can be a problem with serious mis-alignments of hardware where puesdo-tumors become present.

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
Excellent resurce material, Stevel.  Thanks!
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08

Bionic

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 09:04:03 PM »
This is a very detailed but intriguingly positive report on chromium supplementation: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2004/aug2004_report_chromium_01.htm
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 09:39:43 PM »
The metal ion questions comes up quite often.  I wrote an article about it here
http://www.surfacehippy.info/highmetalionswalter.php

It explains that there are no standarized blood test available to test for the metal ion levels yet.  Some labs have tests, but none are done the same.  That is one of the projects many doctors and labs are trying to develop. It is really up to the doctor to try to determine what they think is too high of a level.

I have a bunch of articles and medical studies here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/metalioninformation.php

Hope that helps.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »
Well I went in for my 6 week check earlier today, and as promised, I spoke extensively with my OS about the metal ion issue.

1.  He confirmed that there is no specific test for this issue.

2.  He suggested that if I am concerned , that I should have my primary care physician order tests that monitor my kidney fucntion when I do annual physicals becasue the kidneys would be the first things affected if a higher than acceptable ion level does materialize.

3.  He said that the latest studies show that the newer "as cast" high cobalt appliances, such as the Birmingham Hip, are dramtic improvements ovver the early days of metal on metal appliances, some of which were staineless steel, a much softer metalurgy.

4.  I should be much more concerned with not getting into a major automobile accident or some other tramatic event that might fracture the femoral head than I should be over metal ion concerns.

5.  He, as Pat, corrected my incorrect research about the need to remove the cup in the event a revision becmae necessary due to a problem with the femoral head.  he said Birmingham makes a matching THR component of matching size and metalurgy that would be used in the event a revision became necessary.

6.  He said if I stay active, avoid major trama, maintain good bone health, that my BHR may very well out last both of us (he is only 38)...  ;D ??? ::)

BTW:  In his lobby waiting to have his knee examined was Jerrid Johnson, Linebacker for my beloved Baltimore Ravens.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:14:50 PM by Mudpro »
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM