+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spin cycle training  (Read 7097 times)

John H

Spin cycle training
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:11:28 AM »
Could anyone help me. I am 57 years old, 6 weeks post op and everything seems to be going great with my recovery. I was a bit of a fanatical runner, training every day and completed 30+ marathons, but I stopped running about 6 years ago when hip pain became too much to bear. I tried to keep myself fit by joining a gym, cycling etc. but nothing really compared with running which resulted in me ceasing training altogether and resorted to walking my dogs only. I want to get back to a decent level of fitness and possibly run again by using a static spin cycle and rowing machine. Can anyone advise a schedule that I could use for the spinning as I have no idea? I could simply ride along to a music track but would like to apply some science and be able to measure any progress. Your help and any stories related to spin training will be appreciated.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Spin cycle training
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
Hi John

Welcome to Hip Talk and congratulations on your new hip.

Since you are so early in your recovery at 6 weeks post op, I would suggest that you ask your own surgeon and PT what kind of schedule you should be using on your equipment.  You don't want to listen to anyone else since they are not medically trained.  I would still rely on your on surgeon at this point.

Once you are well into your recovery, then you should be able to start taking things at your own speed.  I would just be careful yet.  You will have many years ahead of fun activities, but want to be a bit conservative until you are well healed.  Most surgeons let you do about anything you want at 6 months post op.  Most don't like you running a lot at that point, but you can read the many athletes stories that have ran early in their recovery.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php

Have fun and I wish you a continued quick and easy recovery.  Be a little patient and careful for now.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:54:43 AM »
Hey John,

Congratulations on your new hip. I teach spinning 4 days/ wk and would be glad to help you out. Email me at magoo451@msn.com and I'll give you some good information. I had to stop running 4 yrs ago and took up cycling to maintain and even increase fitness.

take care,

spencer

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »
Hi Spencer

Why don't you tell us a bit about how you started getting back into shape and spinning after your surgery.  I am sure many people would be interested.  Of course, we understand it was your recovery with your own timeline - but it would be interesting.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sroberts

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »
Sure Pat,

I had rbhr surgery 6/26/08 in Madison,Wi with Dr John Rogerson. I was told I could start using an elliptical trainer. I started at 15 minutes and by the end of the week I was doing 30 minutes (easy pace- low heart rate).

At week two I was allowed to start cycling easy on the spin bike (I still couldn't lift my leg up
on my own bike when it was on the wind trainer). I started off at 30 minutes easy and by the end of week three I was doing 45min to 1 hr 5x/wk still going very easy, light resistance.

During week 4 I taught 3 spinning classes and did 2 sessions on my own each 1 hr in duration and still without pushing the pace too hard. I let pain and discomfort be my guide and ice was my best friend.

At 5 weeks i was still teachng 3x/wk and took my first 1hr road ride. All went well. My hip felt great. I rode on Thursday and on Friday night I hit a glitch in my recovery process.

I developed an infection directly under my incision. It turned out to be staph, but it was mssa
not mrsa. I underwent a 2nd surgery on August 13th to debride the hip and six weeks of IV antibiotics. It turns out the infection never made it to the hip but there was a hole in my IT band that had to be sewn up. I have no idea how the infection started except I know it wasn't
during the surgery.

Anyway after 4 weeks I was going stir crazy. The only thing I was allowed to do was coach my middle school cross country team for 90 min/day. I was injecting cefazolin every 8 hours into my picc line. Well after 4 weeks I put my bike on a triner and started spinning easy for 30 minutes and worked up to 60 minutes by September 19th. On Septmber 20th with my picc
line still in, I rode outside for an hour and everyday thereafter until Oct 1st (I had my picc line removed on September 23rd).

In October I started teaching 4x/ wk again and riding outside on the weekends. I have taught as many as six times/wk during the holidays and started lifting agin in November. I now can ride hard and push myself without thinking or feeling the hip. i started running at the end of December but am taking that extremely slowly.

I believe cycling is the best way to get back into shape without putting undue stress on the hip joint. Just start back easy and use ice packs.

I'll be taking questions now:)

spencer
(turned 50 - 11/08)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:39:53 AM »
Thanks Spencer!   ;D

Sometimes we repeat ourselves a lot on the discussion group since there are so many questions in different categories.

I appreciate you taking time to explain further.

You are our spinning expert  ;)

Also one of our heros for getting thru the infection ordeal and being able to keep your resurfacing.

Thanks again.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sgoulet

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:52:14 PM »
Another cyclist here - both indoor (spinning) and outdoor (road bike, triathlon/TT bike)

Here are some tips:

1. Get an Ipod or MP3 player and load it with music that you like.

2. Try a "spinning" class at your local Y or gym.  Instructors are great at getting new riders set up and into the routine.

3. Get a heart rate monitor. In a good i hour spin class, you can maintain a heart rate of 130+ for an hour, improve your fitness and burn a lot of calories.

4. Once you get comfortable on an indoor bike, get a pair of "clipless" cycling shoes.  These are shoes that allow you to clip-in to the pedals on a bike and give you better cycling power and form.

5. Finally, buy a bike, and ride it outside!

Here is an indoor cycling routine I put together called "Cycling to the Oldies v1"

See attachment in PDF...
Right leg – Cormet hip resurfacing – Direct Anterior approach – Dr. Stefan Kreuzer
Houston, TX – December 10, 2008

sroberts

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 10:30:27 PM »
Hey Steve,
Those are some classic oldies. I've used more than a few of those songs myself. I also like motown tunes, classic rock and some new stuff that my kids give me. How the recovery going?
Have you gone back to spin class?

take care,

spencer

sgoulet

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »
Hey Steve,
Those are some classic oldies. I've used more than a few of those songs myself. I also like motown tunes, classic rock and some new stuff that my kids give me. How the recovery going?
Have you gone back to spin class?
Hey Spencer,

I have been doing a lot of spinning, with each day progressively harder.  Just had my 6 week post-op visit a couple of days ago and things are looking good.  My ROM is very good and my strength is coming back.

Rode 40 miles in a group ride today ~21 mph average in flat terrain, high wind.  Actually inflicted a little pain on the group!  Some of my "power" was probably excitement to be back on the bike, but riding pain free is definitely going to let me get a lot faster this year than in past years.  I have a goal to win the state TT championship this year...Cat 4, that is  ;)

Steve
Right leg – Cormet hip resurfacing – Direct Anterior approach – Dr. Stefan Kreuzer

sroberts

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 01:49:31 PM »
Steve,

Great job! An old friend of mine has been racing in Houston for a long time. Do you know Kevin Ferdinand? I forget the name of his team. He's been racing there for quite a while.

take care,

spencer

sgoulet

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 04:27:28 PM »
... An old friend of mine has been racing in Houston for a long time. Do you know Kevin Ferdinand? I forget the name of his team. He's been racing there for quite a while...
I do not know Kevin.  Does he race road or mountain or do triathlons?

Oh yeah, P.S. I just bought a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL SSCs off ST...I'll get them next week.  I just thought I needed a little equipment "boost" to jumpstart me.

Steve

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat