+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My surgery with Mcminn  (Read 9356 times)

Tekka

My surgery with Mcminn
« on: January 22, 2009, 01:28:26 PM »
Hellooo all,

I have started this subject in the hope it will give some insight into my a-z journey of my LBHR, i found Todds posts really helpfull.

I have just had my pre-op prep and clerked ready for admission 10.30am tomorrow with my surgery scheduled for 1.30pm tomorrow 23/01/09. All seems very professional and the staff surgeon i have just left was helpfull and i feel comfortable.

I intend to post daily... i'll try not to bore to much.

Cheers

Terry ::)
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Bionic

Re: My surgery with Mcminn
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
Good luck, Terry.  I look forward to hearing all the details that are fit to print (and maybe some that aren't).
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:57:53 PM »
Terry,

Good luck with your surgery, please let us know when you are up and ready.

See you on the other side soon to be walking straight lines again.

Chuck

Hellooo all,

I have started this subject in the hope it will give some insight into my a-z journey of my LBHR, i found Todds posts really helpfull.

I have just had my pre-op prep and clerked ready for admission 10.30am tomorrow with my surgery scheduled for 1.30pm tomorrow 23/01/09. All seems very professional and the staff surgeon i have just left was helpfull and i feel comfortable.

I intend to post daily... i'll try not to bore to much.

Cheers

Terry ::)
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
Hi Terry

Glad you started you own topic to feature your own story. Many people are interested in McMinn patients.

I want to wish you luck with your upcoming surgery.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I look forward to all your post op postings and won't find them boring at all.

I wish you the best!  See you on the other side!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Todd

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
Terry,

Congratulations on reaching this point!  I will follow your story closely and offer any relevant advice and support I may have.  Chin up and relax.  I mentioned in my first post on this site what an enjoyable experience this has been so far.  To be fixing the pain of the last several years is a great feeling.  I hope your experience proves as enjoyable!
Take Care!
todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Tekka

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »
Hello all,

I'm sorry i have'nt posted until today but i was wasted for a day and a half....this is it so far.

Surgery was 1.30pm Friday and i came out at 3.30pm, but i was kept in the recovery room for three hours, my left leg would not show any signs of movement and concern was starting show, the xray was good so no concerns there, slowly movement started to show in my foot, i think it was the epidural...my wife was more concerned than me because she was waiting in my room for three hours wondering what the delay was.

The next twenty four hours were constant monitoring, bloods, tubes our ect.

But day 3 "today" FANATASTIC...i feel a lot better, been on crutches done some bed pt.

I have got to dwell on other peoples advice on this site... always search out the best SURGEON, it is so correct...Mr McMinn is " you know in life...occasionlly you meet someone who is special" well thats him", everything has to be spot on and his detail is amazing and he expects that from all around him. All the people i have met all say the same, clients and staff.

So i am officially on the other side, i'm glad i have read so many peoples experiences on this site, i have decided to take my time and i have also decided to give up some of my activities....i want to carry on with my MMA but i want to relise that limitations must also
be applied.

Now that i'm feeling better i will continue with my posts.

Peace

Terry

Todd

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »
Terry,

I was wondering if we were going to see you on the other side.  It's wonderful to hear that everything went well and you are on the road to recovery.  Be sure to celebrate the small milestones you reach every day as it will help you to keep plugging along.   Give your body some time to heal and keep up with the bed PT.  You will make progress steady and slow, and I want to hear all about it!  Great to hear your story!

todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Todd

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »
Terry,

You're awake!  Must be around 8pm where you are? Are you still in the hospital, or home?  I had my laptop at the hospital which was great to kill some time and keep up with the world around me.  How are you feeling?

Tekka

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 02:30:56 PM »
Todd man,

It's 7.20pm here in wet n windy England....Birmingham. Still in the wonderful BMI hospital, they are treating me so well...nothing is to much trouble, got no choice with the laptop Todd, got plenty of communication to do with the business, your right having the laptop is brill...i think we forget just how wonderful the internet is, me and chatting thousands of miles apart.

Terry

Todd

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
I understand.  I was answering emails from our business while still in the hospital.  Give yourself a few days without the stress though.  You need to rest both physically and mentally.  So, how's the food?  Do you Brits eat Peanut Butter?  There's no better comfort food here in the states! Good to hear from you!
todd

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
Terry

Congratulations on the new hip - you are an official Surface Hippy.

I hope you recovery now continues to go well for you. Hopefully you are over the bump of problems now.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »
Terry,

Welcome to the other side, glad to hear you are being treated well.

Things will be getting better and better.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Tekka

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
Day 4

Just had pt, stairs ect...i have been told i can go home tomorrow. Feeling a little low today, don't really know why!! i had a great pt session and i stopped the tramadol yesterday...made me feel whoozy. I was amazed at my pt session, already i have a greater range of movement than i did on Friday morning...this really is a wonderful bit of metal.

This site has ben invalueble to me " being a controll freak"..but nothing prepares you for the operation, it is major deal and i relise what you guys mean when you say one day at a time...loads of respect to all of you.

Terry

Todd

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
Terry,

I recall the whoozy feelings well.  I think it took a few days to get some of the anesthisia medication out of my system, and combined with pain meds, you make the best of it.   It truly is a day at a time.  You'll be amazed at the strides you make each day!  Keep it up!
todd

Tekka

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 05:48:24 PM »
DAY 5

I arrived home today, after a very busy morning before departure from the wonderful BMI hospital, all the following happened in military fashion...

a/ Four viles of blood...for all the necessary testing

b/ PT came by to give me my dates in February

c/ Xray

d/ Ultrasound scan on both legs for clots

e/ Back to room for lunch

f/ Pain meds and instructions

g/ Nurse checked staples...all fine

Then my beautifull wife arrived, packed all our stuff and wished everybody well, which seemed to take another hour...its amazing how much you get to know people in such a short space of time...common issues and all.

Home in thirty minutes...i know i know how lucky i am to be so close to such a wizard of a surgeon.

Just a thought, if your surgeon was a mechanic what kind of vehicle do you think he would work on...McMinn = Aston Martin.

Also while i was in hospital i met alot of guys and gals 50/50 who Mr McMinn had done a BHR on many years earlier 8,9,10 and they were in now for the other hip, with no problems at all...thats got to make us feel good eh.

Home now, just had a chinese with the family, cup of tea and off to bed, the hip feels good and stable and i'm really happy....but i'm not gonna rush anything.

nighty night or is it morning

peace

Terry

obxpelican

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 06:11:27 PM »
That is a good idea them doing a scan for blood clots, that is something I've wondered why docs don't test for that post-op.

Sounds like you've had a good experience and you sound like you're going well.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Todd

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »
Good to be home I'm sure!  Glad you're feeling well and now you can focus on recovering. 
take care.
todd

Tekka

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »
Post-op Day 8

I've not posted for a few days, just been sleeping and letting the hip do its thing.

I am surprised how tired i am, my wife is so used to me rushing and being full with time that she can hardly recognise this guy dozing in the afternoon " man i hope i don't dribble"

Apart from the pain from the operation i have no pain in my hip, this is so nice after many years of living with the bone on bone. The hip feels solid when walking with my crutches "McMinn says a minimum of four weeks"  any discomfort is specific to the hip and thigh, I have very little bruising or swelling but as I have said in previous posts I am not pushing it at all.......nice and easy.

For the last two nights I have slept straight through and thats with having an afternoon nap, I take co-dydramol twice in the day and just before bed and that seems to hold the pain ok.

My scar is starting to itch, which I take as a good sign...staples are due out this Tuesday, but the whole area is clean and dry.

Regards

Terry

Tekka

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »
Day 9

I had a full and good nights sleep.

Did all my PT and getting easier

Walking seems to be getting more natural, I still can't beleive my leg is moving in a straight line.

I'm having my staples out tomorrow

First day...i did'nt have an afternoon nap, although I am a liitle tired early evening

I intend to go into work tomorrow for a couple of hours...let you know how i get on.

Generally feel good and really bored at home.

Best wishes to all

Terry

Todd

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »
Good to hear you're feeling up to go to work.  The afternoon nap was really important for me during the first couple of weeks--don't give it up until you have to. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat