+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1 Year Anniversary today!!!  (Read 2505 times)

takilasunrise

1 Year Anniversary today!!!
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »
I had to check in today because it's my 1 year anniversary of my right hip resurfacing surgery!  Yay!  I have no regrets whatsoever of having this procedure done!  I am virtually pain-free!  My incision site, well, now it's just a scar, is just now starting to get feeling back.  It's still tender if a doggy paw jumps on it, but overall, it healed nicely.  I still have occasional clunking, but nothing major.  It's still a little tough putting a sock on from a higher seat, but I can do it.  I've been able to do my gardening, walk around craft shows, fairs, etc.  I was able to go on a 3,000+ mile motorcycle trip!  And I can play with (well, chase) my 13 month old grandson...........and all without the pain I used to experience!  And I can actually say my limp is basically gone.  My husband says he can still see a very, very slight difference in my gait but it's barely noticable!  I am so glad that I decided to finally take that step to get my hip fixed.  It was worth going through the surgery and the recovery of the surgery!  To be able to walk withthout pain is something that I used to take for granted.  When my pain was at it's worst, I felt my life had been cut short and that I would have to remain in misery until I was "old enough" to have a hip replacement.  Thank goodness for medical technology! 

I would also like to express my gratitude to Pat for her website and to all those that have been here for support and that gave support!   :D

Todd

Re: 1 Year Anniversary today!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »
Happy Anniversary!  Please keep checking in so that you can assist us newbies!  It's great to have some firsthand consultants out here to help as we go through this journey.

todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:55 PM »
Marni

Happy Anniversary.  I am so glad you are doing well.  These great stories from Happy Surface Hippies really help new people and make us old Surface Hippies feel good too.

I hope your next year will be even better.

Best of Luck to You!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Thank you!  I will definitely keep checking back in!  Hang in there everyone.........someday you will be pain free, too! 

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »
Marni,

Congratulations, its great to hear from someone whose been all the way through their first year.

Can you remember about when it was in your recovery that you actually stopped "thinking" about your hip before doing things, or has that not happened yet?
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

takilasunrise

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 07:02:27 PM »
I would say I haven't thought about doing things for a good 4 or 5 months now.  Putting my sock on is about the only thing I do that I go oh, yeah, I can't quite get down there all the way like my other leg, but it's very minimal.  I guess my biggest moment was when I was on the back of my husband's motorcycle and we drove out of the driveway and as we turned out, the bike started to tip over to the right (he turned too sharp or something).  It has engine guard bars, so the bike won't go over all the way, but he yelled at me to hurry and jump off and help him push the bike back up.  I jumped off without even thinking and helped him.  I thought later, I don't even remember how I actually got off!  Because it used to be a big deal when I got off the bike because of my hip pain and the lack of motion!  That's when I knew I was on my way to having a "normal" life again!  Yes, I still will feel tightness and/or pressure if I turn my leg more than everyday movements, but the surgery and recovery part of it is way behind me now!  I can say it was one of the best decisions I've ever made, to fix my hip!!!!

JohnS

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »
Happy Anniversary,  Wow, right now I can't imagine "not thinking" about doing so many things.  So there is still some tenderness even after a year?  But it sounds pretty mild. 

Now, what I'd really like to hear about it the 3000+ mile trip.  I sure am looking forward to this spring and looooong rides.  8)
John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal