+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hillwalking  (Read 10898 times)

bothdone

Hillwalking
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »
I've been promising myself that one day I'd get back into hill-walking when my second BHR felt up to it.   I used to do lots of walking in Wales, the English Lakes and Scotland in the 1980s but stopped in the early 90s.   

Here in England it has recently been a cold, windy and wet place but this afternoon at least it wasn't wet so I decided to give it a go.

Over the last few months I've been gradually extending my walking distance in my heavy leather boots.  I'd got up to 4 miles in one go so felt ready to tackle the hills.    I got my safety pack together and drove over to Dartmoor in South Devon.  There are penty of parking spaces along the edge of the roads and then you are straight onto the moorland.

It was sunny but with a cold wind as I set off up my first hill towards Saddle Tor.   The area of Dartmoor I was walking on is very up and down with few paths and mostly rocky ground covered in heather.  Despite being at the top of hills much of it is wet and slightly boggy.

Once I got more than ten minutes from the road I was away from other people.    At the furthest point I got from the road I was admiring the rough scenery when a small bird of prey appeared about 50 feet away, searching for its prey.   A great moment.

It was interesting to get back into map reading and using a compass.  Sadly reading the maps needed the extra help of a pair of reading glasses - not something I needed in the past.

I was up there for about 90 minutes, covering Saddle Tor, Holwell Tor and Haytor, before heading back to Saddle Tor.   I'm looking forward to getting back up there in a few weeks time.    I hope to be able a couple of photos when I work out how to load them.  In the meantime you might enjoy playing with this interactive link

http://www.virtuallydartmoor.org.uk/visit-haytor2.html
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Mudpro

• My Work
Re: Hillwalking
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:42:04 PM »
Bravo!

I am so looking forward to being able to once again walk the wilderness.  In my area its the Appalachian trail that beckons.  It runs over 2,000 miles from the state of georgia in our southern United States to Maine up near our borader with Canada in the north.  A hand full of people walk the entire length in a season, but most of us normal mortals just do day hikes or weekend jaunts along different segments of the trail.

As I read your account, I invisioned you driving a Land Rover Defender up to your trail head; we colonists do envy our UK cousins just a bit in that area.  As an advid off-roader, I believe you refer to the activity as "greenlanding" I spend as much of my spare time in the wilderness as possible.  Again, I am axious to be able to follow in your foot steps and venture off on foot to some of my favorite remote locations.

http://www.appalachiantrail.com/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:44:29 PM by Mudpro »
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

John C

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:32:40 PM »
At five months (last fall), I was doing 2-4 hours of trail hiking in the mountains every day and it was wonderful (at that time, four hours proved to be a good limit, though I think that it no longer would be an issue). At 5 1/2 months, I started doing some mountain trail running (uphill only to minimize impact), and that also felt great. My wife loves the fact that after twenty years of marriage, I am finally able to enjoy long treks in the mountains with her.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

bothdone

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 06:06:19 AM »
Hi Mudpro and John

The Applachian Trail looks a bit beyond me but who knows one day.....

No, I don't have a Land Rover but I do have a small Honda HRV 4x4 (don't know if you have them in the USA)  It uses two wheel drive normally and kicks into four wheel drive when it decides it needs it.   I've driven it on snow on the roads on Dartmoor and had no problems.   The term you were thinking about is Green Laning.  If you type it into a search engine (which includes the UK) you'll get masses of links, including lots with Land Rovers.

Thinking about yesterday's hill walk made me realise that the difference with walking on the hills and navigating with a map was that the walk was about the quality of the experience and not the distance covered or the speed maintained.   Well worth the trip up there.

Best wishes to you both, and to other hikers.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

bothdone

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:35:12 PM »
In the last week I've managed to get out a do a couple of very hilly walks - not on open hills but with lots of ups and downs.

On Saturday I put my boots on and using a guide book explored the local coastal path.   Unfortunately I chose a section with masses of wooden steps cut into the hillsides and it seemed as if all I was doing was clambering up one hillside only to immediately stagger down the other side.   Mind you, there were some spectacular views over the sea.  Despite the fact that it was only about 10 miles from where I live it was somewhere I'd never been before so I had to keep a good eye on the map and guide book.  Definitely good practice for open hill walks.

Today I followed a six mile route along small country lanes, through woods and across fields.  The intial climb took me up to the highest point nearby and I had great views across to the sea in front of me and to the moors behind me.    I took the opportunity to put the shorts on today which was good.  Over the six miles I came across 3 other walkers in the whole distance.   Mostly it was just me and the mp3 on shuffle mode (lots of mellow blues).

Both days ended with a good soak in a nice hot bath.   Looking forward to getting back on to more exposed hills at a future date.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Jed

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 06:38:42 PM »
Ed, my brother lives in Exeter and with him I have walked the tors you mentioned. I've always done a lot of hillwalking too, the last time was in 2004/5 when we were back in Aberystwyth for a year. Did Cader Idris half a dozen times and Snowdon twice. After that the old hip started falling apart. Since 1981 we have lived in Nova Scotia, not many mountains but some good hikes though the woods. However, it is extended canoe trips that I really enjoy, and the trout that accompany them. Had my right hip done in Montreal on Feb 11. Yesterday I managed to walk 200 yards without any cane, a real achievment. I hope to be ready for a canoe trip in May, and some hiking when we go back to Britain for a summer holiday. That's the hope at least.
Cheers,
John

bothdone

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:20:34 AM »
Hi John

Good to hear of your progress.    Hope it continues to go well.

I've never done Cader Idris but Snowdon is probably my all time favourite hike.  It just has so many different moods - you don't know what you are going to get until you get there.  Even then things can change in a few minutes.     I think it wasn't until about my third or fourth time up there that there was a clear view from the top.   Always worth the trip though.

Best wishes

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

bothdone

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »
I was down in Plymouth (Devon, England) today and decided to travel back home across Dartmoor.  I got up to a high point on the road at about 5.15pm and pulled it to a lay-by to admire the scenery.    It was bright and breezy so I decided to have a wander up to the nearest Tor ( a rocky outcrop on the hill top).  The view as I got higher opened up and the cars passing on the road got smaller and smaller.     It was only about a 40 minute escape on to the hills but it reminded me that I must get up there more often.
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:23 AM »
Myself and a group of firends try to go walking once a month in the English Lake District, as we all live quite close.

I can easily cope with a 12 mile trek up a mountain following ny operation, it's just coming down that's the problem!!!

I tore a cartiledge in my knee walking down a path on route to the pub. It was the same leg as the operated one.

Looks like my football career is over!!!
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

richardLB

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »
hello bothdone

i am new to this site and am 5 weeks post op , so reading your post about walking and hiking keeps my spirits up as i live near dartmoor i know the tors you mentioned, i went for my first venture post op up to haytor, and then a drive round and walk up hound tor , one crutch but it went well, I have not tried any steep coastal walks yet i think i need to went for a while yet. If your ever in Widecombe-on-the-moor try the "hopping hare" real ale..........you won't want to leave.   Anyway good walking to you all,

bothdone

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »
Hi Richard

Good to hear you've got yourself back out hiking.  As you say, you need to wait a while before trying anything strenuous and steep.

Hope your recovery goes well.

Ed

just back in from a gentle two hour stroll along country lanes, tracks and rolling fields.   Time for a soak in the bath . . .
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM