+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Skiing with the new hip-video  (Read 3753 times)

powderhippy

Skiing with the new hip-video
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
Hi All,

Check out my skiing video here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories06/shellyperlmutter06.php on my personal story or here on the Athlete Videos , it is the Number 2 Video http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/videosathletes.php

Did some skiing yesterday as we've been dumped on the past few days. Bluebird day and fresh pow here in Southwest Colorado. Did a quick digital camera video that my friend took of me. My helmet cam batteries died out, so couldn't use it. It is posted on YouTube, so hope this gives those skiers the knowledge that you will be back to skiing anything you want.  Go to YouTube and put these 3 words in the search box-  shelly....skiing....hip resurfacing.

For those who are just past surgery, you'll be back with no problem. Bumps, deep pow, groomers.

Life will be good.

Best to all, Shelly Perlmutter
                Dr. Gross
                Left Biomet
                9/6/06

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:21:39 PM by Pat Walter »
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

Barbara

Re: Skiing with the new hip-video
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:03:47 AM »
How soon post op did you ski. I had bilateral surgeries 7 weeks and 15 weeks ago and my surgeon says I can ski again next season. I am so looking froward to that time.
Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

powderhippy

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:26:28 AM »
Hi Barbara,
 You will be in fine shape for the start of ski season next fall. I had my surgery in September 06 and could have skied in March 07, as Dr. Gross has you wait 6 months for anything of major impact. I decided to blow off skiing that March, as I figured that skiing for a couple of weeks wasn't worth it. Plus the weather that year was warmer and I was more interested in jumping on my mountain bike and hitting the trails.
 I have a friend who is a bi-lat that skis at least 80-100 days a year, and loving it. Rest assured that come next November (maybe October) you'll be on that first chair and feeling that excitment of making those wonderful, pain-free turns....Train your core muscles and work those legs this spring and summer. I want to see a picture of you next year cranking out some beautiful turns....Shelly

stevel

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
Hi Shelly,

I watched your video on You Tube last night.  Reminds me of one of our local runs.  I'm 4 months post-op today and doing great.  I'm resisting the urge to go skiing before 6 months post-op.  We had about 12 inches of "champagne" powder on Tuesday and Wednesday, when the ski area was closed.  It's open today, but the weather has changed to rain, so I have resisted a little longer.  You made some great points to forego impact sports for 6 months post-op to Eric and I under the "Ski Pain" thread.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:24:10 PM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

powderhippy

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »
Hi Steve.
 RESIST, RESIST, RESIST, that urge to ski. I know its tough but here is why the Docs tell you to wait. On the day I took that video, I was skiing in the trees. Beautiful light pow. But even though I knew the runs, I came upon a nice little 5 foot drop. Came over it, but my skis augered in. Not enough to stop me, but enough for me to slow down quickly and bend forward at the waist. I could tell it put pressure on my hips with that downward pressure. My hip was and is fine, but I can imagine it COULD be a problem if I was less then 6 months. Heck, spring is almost here already. Stay stong Steve. 

stevel

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »
Hi Shelly,

6 months it is!  I can do 2 more months.

Side Joke:  A convicted felon, sentenced for 7 years in prison, replied to the judge:  "I can't do 7 years";  The judge replied "Do the best you can!"

But seriously, I downloaded "Preservation of the bone mineral density of the femur after surface replacement of the hip."  The study shows the BMD increases from 94% at 6 months up to a maximum of 120% at 24 months, depending on the zone.  Dr. McMinn refers to this study and recommends his patients wait 12 months before returning to impact sports.

I suppose unless you were active in impact sports leading up to surgery;  you had your bones scanned before surgery; you have your bones scanned at 3 months post-op or later; your Dr. says OK;  then you have to follow your Dr's standard post-op protocol.  I notice some athletes for some doctors have returned to impact sports in 3 months.
Steve

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 07:20:06 PM »
Aloha from Hawaii,

Stevel, do you have that link to that study?

I am at 13 weeks come monday-or is it 14-can't remember exactly any more, do know thats only 3 months, feeling great... 

I was very active before surgery...feel really ready to do light active sports..I have been flying smaller kites safely on my beaches here, and Thursday I actually went for a quick tack out to the waves and back in..wind too light..but if it was stronger, I would of stayed out...been doing all the research on timing for the healing, looked up all the doctors protocals, I am not jogging-and I am not doing jumps while kiting, just want to check out the scenery and fly my kite...so fo me, if it gets good..I elect to go, but I will take it slightly easy.

I have seen how others don't want to chance it, then there are those who have returned to marathons in months, I figure I can split the difference and play it as safe as possible when that time comes. 

Been hoping for no wind for me, or I keep painting my house or treking to my job, not being able to "go for it" isn't me.  I know, I can blow my whole operation, crack the femor, but that can happen painting and falling, or bbq..or and so on...

Good job Shelly on your success and getting back to the slopes.

Today I paint..and hit my job...perhaps if it gets windy later in the week...I go!
Eric

stevel

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
Aloha Eric,

The link is www.amp.com.hk/Papers_PDFs/JBJS_Sugano_p185.pdf.  Also see "Metal-on-metal resurfacing of the hip in patients under the age of 55 years with osteoarthritis," at www.amp.com.hk/Papers_PDFs/JBJS_McMinn_PynSent_Daniel_p177.pdf.  The patients (384) in this study were advised to avoid high-impact activities for 1 year post-op.  The fourth page, second column, third paragraph states "Following hip resurfacing, return to high-impact activities has to be carefully planned in a graded manner.  Doing too much too soon risks a fracture of the neck of the femur.  However, with time, periarticular osteopenia is reversed and the protective effects of muscle tone, strength and coordination return to normal.  Patients are then able to undertake more rigorous activities safely."  This AM, my aunt suggested I go to Hawaii and swim and snorkel, since I can't ski until 6 months post-op.  Unless I bump into you and get talked into kite surfing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:42:17 PM by stevel »
Steve

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 11:25:19 PM »
Stevel,

Thanks for the links...looking at them now, but kinda tired before work and so not the best time for me to read this...but tried, just gotta rest up and head in to work, will read it later tonite or tomorrow..but thank you for this.

I have been doing the snorkle thing, go figure, saw a grey reef shark 5-6' and they like dogs, like to bite, so I thought, great..all this for nothing...then he turned and left me with a few hundred of yards to swim in...alone and no spear, so maybe safer to not hang with me..lol.

Well, maybe a bike ride on the new bike/jog/walking path will do for the next few days or weeks..its on the windy side of the island, but I can square breath...

Mahalo,
Eric

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements