+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Epic Ride  (Read 3446 times)

DirkV

Epic Ride
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:24:14 AM »
Just a note to express appreciation to Spencer and to the miracles of modern medicine.
Somebody once gave me the advice to accept invitations, so when Spencer invited me to meet him for a ride in Tucson, I accepted. At some point during my approx 3 hrs of climbing last weekend, I questioned that advice.
I've ridden centuries and "mountains" around Phoenix, but nothing like Mt Lemmon in Tucson: 28 miles and nearly 6k of elevation gain. Like I told Spencer, it was a highlight of my cycling life. My lungs were literally tired, my whole body on the verge of muscle cramps, knees a bit achy, but the fake hips were fine.
And Spencer is an animal and the bike and a fine human being in other respects. Spencer, thanks again for graciously serving as tour guide to fellow recovering bicyclists. Sorry that we kept you waiting at the top. Another friend who coincidentally had a titanium plate put into his broken tibia the same weekend I had my surgery also formed our party. Together we were team heavy metal.
Keep lookin up,
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

sgoulet

Re: Epic Ride
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »
DirkV,

Sounds like a great ride!  Living in flat Texas, I have never done an "epic" climb like that.  What kind of bike and gearing did you have?

I hope to come to Tucson and do some riding in the future.  I used to live there when I went to U. of A., but wasn;t riding a road bike at that time.

How was the descent?   ;D

Spencer has been a great help to me in my recovery as well giving advice from one athlete's perspective. 

Pics from the ride?

Steve
Right leg Cormet hip resurfacing Direct Anterior approach Dr. Stefan Kreuzer
Houston, TX December 10, 2008

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 03:12:17 PM »
Hey Dirk,

Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure being able to guide you and Charlie up to the mountain. The blueberry pie at the top was well worth the effort.You're right, while our legs and lungs were hurting, our hips were fine. Mt Lemmon is truly on of the best rides in the US. If anybody wants to come out to Tucson, I'll gladly take you on a climb you'll not soon forget.

Steve,
The descent was great. It took an hour or so for us to get down to the base. Unfortunately I forgot to take a camera. That just means we'll have to do it again.

take care,

spencer

Todd

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 04:17:41 PM »
Spencer,

If you ever overcome your cold weather tolerance, I've got a great biking challenge for you.  The Arrowhead 135 ultramarthon.  135 miles bike, walk, or ski from International Falls, MN to Tower, MN along a snowmobile trail--participants are totally self-supported, and the winner usually comes in around 22 hours.  I believe around 60 entrants were in this year, and about 20 completed the race.  I don't mind the cold, and I like to bike, but I wouldn't be caught dead in an event like that! 
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:21:31 PM »
Todd,

That's a serious event. I'm more of a road biker than a mountain biker, at least that's my excuse. Sounds like a very challenging race.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:55:35 AM »
Spencer,

If you ever overcome your cold weather tolerance, I've got a great biking challenge for you.  The Arrowhead 135 ultramarthon.  135 miles bike, walk, or ski from International Falls, MN to Tower, MN along a snowmobile trail--participants are totally self-supported, and the winner usually comes in around 22 hours.  I believe around 60 entrants were in this year, and about 20 completed the race.  I don't mind the cold, and I like to bike, but I wouldn't be caught dead in an event like that! 

Thats nuts  :o     Sounds like fun on a snowmobile though... :D :D

Todd

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »
Nuts is an understatement.  During this particular race, the temps dropped to around -30F at night. It pays to keep moving to stay warm I suppose, but I would rather stay in the house and do some lunges for my exercise in that kind of weather.

Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

sgoulet

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 12:56:59 PM »
Spencer,

A friend of mine did the Arrowhead and was the youngest finisher in the history of the race.  He ran/walked.  He had some frost bite on his toes, but other tan that, he was in good health.  Crazy!
Right leg Cormet hip resurfacing Direct Anterior approach Dr. Stefan Kreuzer
Houston, TX December 10, 2008

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements