+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kitesurfing  (Read 10587 times)

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
Kitesurfing
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:37:18 AM »
Aloha Kitesurfers,

I just had my first ride since my surgery.(93 days post op)  Proud to say it earlier then I thought it would be, but being that I have been kiting up to the day before surgery and doing it about 4 days a week on average for the last year and half, and being the young and active person I am, always on the go, doing what might kill me eventually..I decieded that it was time.  My body felt great since surgery, did all my physical therapy and by 6 weeks just continued that on my own, my life is physical, and well we all need therapy.lol, but by then I was well enough to paint my house and go back to work and continue my active lifesyle..all in the same days...I swam a few days a week, walked the beaches and did my own style of excersize while down there.  I even worked on what ever bothered me as in lifting my leg to get into my truck with ankle weights just to make life easier.  When I found a week muscle, I took the challenge to strengthen it.  I worked on the motions that I would encounter in MY everyday life, even to me returning to kitesurfing and or surfing.  I flew a small kite on the beach just before 1 month out and even gave a 4 hour lesson on the beach 4 weeks out. 

I found enough information about hip resurfacing that gave me the confidence to give me the ok to go and do what I did today, to go out and ride a directional board in a lagoon of flat water with small one foot waves going through it.  The wind was light, I weight 185 pounds, but all I brought with me was a 10M kite or smaller and my board is a 6'8".  At first I took a few tacks out, my first few jybes were clean, didn't miss a step.  I worked on the return back with flair making my turn going to healside, then jybing, again, clean and no pain or stress on my hip.  A few more tacks, a few more turns, returns, all clean.  After a few more tacks, my friends started to show up so I took a small break and put the kite down so I could talk story.  There was no feeling in the leg that would of worried me.  I had even hit some bunny ramps, came down clean and not one with any jarring.  I was confident that I had not done anything more then to me what would be a coasting ride on a bike. My friends were glad to see me back in the water.  I went back out for a few more tacks, after that the wind seemed to change along with low tide taking over, so a day it was...sucess!  A few beers with the friends and I was a happy kiter.  To finish off the sunset hour, I took my bike I also brought with me and rode a few miles down our ocean bike/walk/jog/doggie path.  Was a great day! 

Looking forward towards more, starting my first session off slow, will gradually work it up and into real waves but for now, to take it easy.

Eric
rBHR 11/3/08

B.I.L.L.

Re: Kitesurfing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:55:37 AM »
Stoked for ya Eric !!  Pretty soon you be all back to normal ;D
(Assuming you were normal before ???)   :D    Good job and where's the pictures ?   

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:19:05 AM »
Bill,

can't post a bad pic..so wasn't sure if I could get a good one, being my first real ride since operation day..plus when its my camera, hard to find a person who is able...but soon, and on a real wave too..

Eric

John C

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »
Awesome!!! Congrats Eric on getting back into the water. It sounds like you have been really smart about the process, and now you get to reap the rewards. Catch some wind and waves for me until I get back to Maui in the spring. Really happy to here that you are back on the sport you love! :D :D
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

wayne-0

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:32:36 AM »
Hey Eric,
I little water therapy goes a long way. It good to hear you got some wind and easing into it.Pretty smart I would say. A few more sessions and you probably will be charging forgetting that anything was ever wrong in the first place. All that PT is paying off hugh for ya. Keep up the good work and maybe B.I.L.L and I will come visit for some water time. Laters.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 01:54:35 AM »
Got 3 sessions in this week, felt great every time, I even had my doctor on the beach watching me for he was doing a family day with his kids, he said looks fun and as long as I take it easy and don't do those big air jumps, that he dosn't see it as a problem.  I got some surf my last session and my good friend said I looked strong in my form, was trying to hit the lips hard and tried to turn on a dime, no pains in the hip.  I stayed away from out of controlled nuked up for to me that would be the vibration thing that might fracture...but for now, all good.

Eric
Wayne and Bill, surf trip this summer or winter...

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 05:10:34 AM »
Surf trip ??      In.    :D :D :D

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »
Its windy these next few days, so I am hoping to get a full days kite today and then some more the next few days too but I have to keep in mind that I work the afternoon out this weekend, so early mornings for me the next few days.  I am hoping to try my new Jimmy Lewis 6'2" today, will give reports later tonite.

wayne-0

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:10:19 PM »
Eric,
Surf trip, I'm in too! Glad the hips feel no pain. That must be pretty cool to have your doc there watching knowing that he fixed you all up so you could enjoy your lifestyle again. My doc surfs so when I get back in the water I might try to hook up a session with him to show him how he gave my lifestyle back to me. Did your doc tell you no big jumps for ever or only for a few more months?

Wayne

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 01:05:52 AM »
Aloha Wayne and all..

The jump thing is only for the next few weeks, I can get back to a normal normal soon, just waiting for the bone to be 100% along with the muscle..muscle feels great, so does the rest..but just to take it easy slightly for now, after 6 months or a year, just go!

Today I kited all day long, the wind was awesome, was at the beach from 8am to sunset, did like 5 different sessions today, the last one I was wrapping up, then it got so good and no one out, so I just went, got some 5 foot hawaiian bombs, was so perfect, but I did get in a spot where I was in the impact zone for a few seconds, and thought this could hurt..but when my kite took me to safety, no problems..and then I attacked it again. 

1 of my top 10 days out there today, rode till I will probably cramp tonite, but worth it, and I had to test my muscles, again, no problems, burnt out and tired, gonna pass out soon...beers and taco bell don't help..friend took pics so when I get them, will post..

Mahalo and aloha,
Eric

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
Finally some pics, this was Friday, the wind was good! Started in a lagoon with my big board, ended up at a beach break with my short board.  More pics and videos to come, feeling great that I am back alive!  Only pain is the rest of my body from a full day of kiting yesterday, got some killa waves!  Took a few ramps with flair too..

Eric
Hard to find a picture taker when its really good, but these pics are proof that ya can do it!

mtnhippy

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 04:55:25 PM »
Eric!

Cool pics  :o!  Looks like great fun!

I'm back to doing snow sports but can't seem to do two long days in a row so thanks for the great example.  I'm going to keep pushing.

V
LBHR - October 7, 2008 by Dr. Joshua Hickman
RBHR - October 6, 2009 by Dr. Joshua Hickman

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 02:12:32 AM »
Aloha everyone and all da kiters..

Not trying to brag, kited again today, its been a windy week, and how can one sit on the sidelines when its good...

Its been about 7 days of kiting out of 14...no pain anywheres, the conditions, well if you kite,the conditions are sloppy to those, fun to us...

I have been doing my surfing waves and going from heel side to toe side, jybing like its no problesms, and taking a spill here and there...maybe I a fool, but I think I would be hit by a car or something else if I was doing anything else...so I take my chance at kiting, its been less then 4 months..Nov 3 to be exact..but I did my research and took my chances, find it no different then surfing or heavy bike riding, so I do brag..hopefully not coming back later with my tail between my legs that I f#*k up and I fractured...I need to live..can't wait for that longer time..I had a titanium tooth, it took long, I understood the bone growth...I looked at what the doctors say..why can Pro athletes go back quicker?  Its because its their focus...and money..but for me, its the happiness, its what I live for.

I just want those who are coming along, or thinking about it and are of the young at mind and heart, doing it for more then your normal everyday thing...that when they say 6 months, I cringed, thinking it was going to be..but after 3 months..I knew I was ready..yeah, the doctor said to take it easy...but smart kiters are on water, smarter kiters understand safty....smart hip resurfacers have to be really smart.

I do say I put myself in places that could of screwed me up or the normal guy...my knowledge got me to safety...so buyer beware, but have fun living your life..
Eric
Nov 3, 2008
rBhr

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 02:40:18 AM »
Arggggg..
A pirates saying for when they score the booty...or at least its what I say when I type this..my best session ever in life, had a killa day in 18K winds, the waves were 2-5 and PERFECT! Matched up with the wind, so slighty offshore by the time you kick out...deep drops, deep in the pit, some high speed runs, some with kite at nuetral and just surfing...but was sooooo good had to post.  It was like being in INDO without going more then 30 minutes from my house and was just as good..so at sunset, when it became time to by the beer..my treat....I scored!

2 hours kiting, no pain..2 teabags that would of scared anyone, but was in control...one teabag was like 30 yards and 20 feet high..but it was thrilling, scarey and yet felt safe...40+ waves were caught, half mile out tacks, and dang, I killed it...only 3 guys out...I think I had the best equiptment, including my hip...well..for those who kite, use it or loose it..it gets less fearful of things every session...oh, should I say I walked a few miles with my 2 dogs on leash too..and then we walked the beach and reef, again..no pain...so as for me, I  feel healed,  and I know I will be stronger every day!

Eric

Bionic

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 06:26:44 AM »
This is very cool.  The next time somebody warns me that I'm over-doing and need to give myself time to heal and whatnot, I will send them over here to your thread for some perspective.

And, yes, you are crazy (but I might be too at 3 months out).
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

stevel

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 11:36:55 AM »
Awesome!

I recall your doctor says OK for kite surfing at 3 months except for high impact.  Some doctors say OK at three months even for high impact (Dr. Schmalzried and Dr. DeSmet).  I must wait 6 months.

I still have muscles healing at nearly 21 weeks post-op (nearly 5 months).  I get an ache in my hip joint after 30 minutes of treadmill (4.5 mph) and hip strengthening exercises.  I am improving in the lunge exercises.  Monday I add the "Fitter" machine exercise which simulates the side to side motion of skiing.  So I am on schedule to resume downhill skiing at 6 months post-op (muscle healing and bone healing).
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 11:40:59 AM »
Aloha,

Couple of pics...

Mahalo,
Eric

Nov 3, 2008
R Bhr

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »
Winds have returned, couple of pics.

I have a link if any of you care to look in flicker..

Mahalo,
Eric

Nov 3, 2008
R Bhr

flickr.com/photos/27557581@N05/?saved=1

wayne-0

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 07:01:02 PM »
Good job Eric I wish it was windy like that here. How big is that board and kite you rode? The wind is almost strong enough today for my gear , I'm hoping it picks up this afternoon so I can try my first session after surgery.

Wayne

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 05:05:40 AM »
Aloha Wayne,

Board is a epoxy 6'3" Jimmy Lewis.

Life is good again, loving the no pain thing!

Hope its going great for both your hips...any difference between the two? 

Winds are backing off for the next few days..dang..gotta surf surf...guess its good for me...lol.

Eric

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal