+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: SLEEPING  (Read 2259 times)

blitz373

SLEEPING
« on: February 08, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »
Is anyone able to sleep on their stomach or side 3 weeks after surgery ?   I am a stomach sleeper and have been stuck on my back , looking forward to going back to stomach or side soon,  Please let me know how to exactly go about this?   thank you ....

obxpelican

Re: SLEEPING
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »
At 12 days post-op I was able to sleep on either side, on day 7 post-op I was able to sleep on the good hip.  The way I started sleeping on my side was to put a pillow between my legs and just roll your whole body together, my hip throbbed for a few minutes but I was fine afterwards.

I never have slept on my stomach, but I was always a side sleeper and it drove me nuts not to be able to sleep on either side.  I slept on my lazy boy the first night back.  I did not sleep in my bed until day 5 post-op.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:12:59 PM »
I was able to sleep on my unoperated side immediately with pillows between my legs but was told by my Dr not to sleep on my operated side for 6 weeks. When I was able to sleep on the operated side I had no problems. I'm still using a pillow between my legs at 9 weeks and 17 weeks post op (I'm a bilateral BHR) as it is more comfortable.
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

wayne-0

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:35:59 PM »
Hey Blitz,
I was able to sleep on my right side 5 days post op, my left side 8 days post op and my stomach at 2 weeks post op. To get on my stomach I just kept a pillow between my legs and rolled to my side then I kept going til I was on my stomach, I just was real careful that I didn't cross my legs.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 06:31:36 AM »
Just a note that when you go for that first sleep on your stomach, its not easy to get out of that position, well, for me it wasn't...kind a find it funny now to think about it..was kinda stuck there for a short moment, till I was able to roll out of it, or slide down my bed to get to my knees to get free...think about that one.  I too am a stomach, sides, a toss and turner...lots of pillows...and I even heard of a plastic bag on the edge of the bed to get in and out easier, that not many have talked about lately.   I used my crutch to aid me the most.. bed tricks...

I think I was 2 weeks to get to my side, worried that I might damage something, or cross my leg by accident, around then I was stomach too.  Felt weird on the operated side, like on a tennis ball under me...but to go side to side was what I needed...to get good rest..but I would wake and get back to center-on my back-so I wouldn't worry about breaking my restrictions.

Eric

Mudpro

• My Work
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 10:16:07 AM »
I could sleep on my good side with a pillow between my legs at about week 3, but couldn't lay on the operated side until week 6 (still not "comfortable").  Just started sleeping on my stomach a week or so ago (week 7 - 8).
Bill
BHR on 12-10-08
OS:  Dr. Henry Boucher, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD

Todd

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »
At 4 weeks, I've been pretty comfortable sleeping on either side.  Initially for the first 3 weeks, lying on the operated hip was either very painful, then just uncomfortable.  For the first week I slept on my back with a pillow between my legs as well as a pillow under the knee which took a lot of pressure off the hip.  Sleeping on my stomach has been alright after 3 weeks.  Once some of the ROM comes back, it isn't bad to have the  knee bent and off to the side.  It feels more secure in that position rather than straight legged.
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat