+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recovery at home  (Read 5480 times)

Gene

Recovery at home
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:34:52 AM »
Hi Pat,
  just a quick note,  I had my THR on sept 7th on the left hip,  that was a friday, they had me up and walknig on sat morning and the only pain I felt was the muscle on my hip (incision area)  the joint felt great.  I got to go home monday (could of gone home sunday but Dr was not around) and had a hour ride to get home.   I really don't take any pain pills, I take some at night to help me sleep (they are non-narcotic so no worroies there) I guess I should get some over the counter sleep pills, but the pain pills are more fun :)  hehe....doing good,  I can walk with crutches witn no pain and don't really get tired....so I am happy and doing great. 

I have contacted Dr. Gross to discuss my right hip for resurfacing,  I have a plate on my right thigh from a motorcycle wreck that is the total length of my thigh,  it has 9 screws in it.  my current Dr said that he would just remove a couple screws for the right THR, but I am not too comfortable with that so going to see what Dr. Gross says......

all in all,  things are going better than I expected and it is wonderful to not have pain when I walk....

just wanted to fill you in...

Gene
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:00:27 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Recovery at home
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 10:25:37 AM »
Hi Gene

I am glad everything went well for you.  Being out of pain is the best part.

I hope Dr. Gross can help you out.

I have my Hips For You website about total hip replacement  http://www.hipsforyou.com    I am starting a Hip Story Page.  I would like to put your story there if you give me permission.  Maybe you could expand on it a little. 

I realize not everyone can or wants to get a hip resurfacing, so I started the THR website quite awhile ago.  It is starting to be used quite a bit too.  I am going to put Waqqy's story up there.  He was the 17 year old that wanted a hip resufacing, but could not have one since his bones were so soft.  He went to Mr. McMinn in the UK. He has quite a story to tell.  I think all personal stories help other people who are trying to decide what to do.

Keep us posted about your progress. 

I hope you continue to have a quick and easy recovery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gene

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 02:35:51 PM »
Thanks Pat,
   your efforts on the websites helped me alot,  I would have no problem with you posting anything I write, I would expand for you, but I have to tell you I am not a writer by any means, but I would give it a try if it would help anyone else.  I also have some pics if you like,  just general pics,  my first walk,  the incision.....that sort of thing. 

what would you like for me to expand on?

Gene

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:42:25 PM »
Hi Pat,
  went to Dr today, got my staples out YEA!!!!!  Dr was amazed with me cause I am and have not taken any pain pills (except at bed time) he said he has not had a patient that did has not been able to take somethig for at least 2 to 3 weeks after surgery.  I also walked to my friends house on sunday, 8 days after surgery,  6 blocks there and 6 blocks back with my crutches and it didn't hurt at all,  so the Dr told me today that I could go full weight and no crutches. he said if I go outside or long distance to take them for safety....so no worries about that, I don't want to fall.... I go back to see him in 5 weeks.

I also am getting my information together for Dr Gross,  all I have to do is the Dexascan, then I hope all goes my way and want to do my right one befoe the end of the year.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:09:23 AM »
That's great news Gene.  That is the way many of us surface hippies were - no major pain meds after surgery and able to get around quite well.

The MOM you have is similar to the head of the BHR so you should do quite well.

I hope your recovery continues to be quick and painless. I also hope Dr. Gross will be able to get your other hip done quickly too.

Good Luck and keep in touch, please.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gene

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 06:54:07 AM »
HI Pat,
   sent all the information to Dr. Gross, he got it yesterday so now waiting his call to see if I am a canidate for my right hip.  my left hip, THR ,  feels awesome....I can't believe it.

Gene

kriyamon

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 03:57:27 PM »
Wow....way to go Gene! :)

Ant

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 06:54:25 AM »
Hi Pat,
  just a quick note,  I had my THR on sept 7th on the left hip,  that was a friday, they had me up and walknig on sat morning and the only pain I felt was the muscle on my hip (incision area)  the joint felt great.  I got to go home monday (could of gone home sunday but Dr was not around) and had a hour ride to get home.   I really don't take any pain pills, I take some at night to help me sleep (they are non-narcotic so no worroies there) I guess I should get some over the counter sleep pills, but the pain pills are more fun :)  hehe....doing good,  I can walk with crutches witn no pain and don't really get tired....so I am happy and doing great. 

I have contacted Dr. Gross to discuss my right hip for resurfacing,  I have a plate on my right thigh from a motorcycle wreck that is the total length of my thigh,  it has 9 screws in it.  my current Dr said that he would just remove a couple screws for the right THR, but I am not too comfortable with that so going to see what Dr. Gross says......

all in all,  things are going better than I expected and it is wonderful to not have pain when I walk....

just wanted to fill you in...

Gene

Ant

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 07:10:03 AM »
Hi, recovering at home after BHR right hip. Second day at home since having surgery on 1st June, noticed swelling started  last night been icing, regular medication, bed excercises, swinging rotating and stairs etc. So far so good due for physio next week.

Any tips and advice on swelling much appreciated. Would also like to know how long until able to get on bed unaided and full recovery time.

Many thanks.

TM

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 09:17:48 PM »
Hi, recovering at home after BHR right hip. Second day at home since having surgery on 1st June, noticed swelling started  last night been icing, regular medication, bed excercises, swinging rotating and stairs etc. So far so good due for physio next week.

Any tips and advice on swelling much appreciated. Would also like to know how long until able to get on bed unaided and full recovery time.

Many thanks.

TM

Hey Tony, congrats and welcome to the site. Sounds like you're doing the right things. The only thing I'd add is to make sure you ice for 10-15 minutes and then give it a rest for about 20 before re-icing.

I'm sure you've been told that. Another thing that helped me to deal with the swelling was keeping well hydrated. You want to make the environment right to have the bruising and swelling healed and out of your body.

As to the length, this is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes as long as it takes. I'm sure your doctor has told you how long you need to limit some activities. Follow those well and don't try to rush things. You want to heal completely and well.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat