+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: McMinn Birmingham Mid Head Resection video  (Read 2163 times)

obxpelican

McMinn Birmingham Mid Head Resection video
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
I just watched all 18 segments of the McMinn Birmingham Mid Head Resection video.  I am amazed at how good McMinn is, his confidence, his technical abilities.  Our friends across the pond are blessed to have such a great surgeon available to them. 

On the video it mentions that in this country we're not approved to use it, if that is still the case I can see when it becomes available how great it will be because it will allow patients with really bad cysts where a surgeon would usually do a THR I can see it being changed to a Birmingham Mid Head Resection thereby saving the head and neck.

One other note to Dr. Gross patients, the Birmingham Mid Head Resection uses NO CEMENT, McMinn has done over 100 of the Birmingham Mid Head Resection with lot's of success. 

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Tekka

Re: McMinn Birmingham Mid Head Resection video
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »
Hi Chuck,

When I received my LBHR...unless I am mistaken we all sign a consent form for Mr McMinn to go to a Mid Head if it is needed. My neighbour in the opposite room had to have a Mid Head due to bone quality, but like he commented what would the alternative have been..a THR.

It seems like a brilliant half way house from BHR to THR, I have a friend with a Mid Head and he is doing really well.

Like you say it is a great advance for a certain category of patient.

When I see Mr McMinn at my six week appointment I will ask is it possible to have a revision from a BHR to a Mid Head...if needed later in years.

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Todd

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
Chuck,

do you have a link for us for the video?  Checked the McMinn Centre website, but didn't see it.

I figure in 25 or 30 years I might need a midhead? ::)
todd
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:36:55 PM »
The video is a surgery that was to fix dysplasia by way of a HR, but McMinn had to change to a birmingham mid head resection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVKAXfz-lCc

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Todd

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 04:17:47 PM »
Thanks Chuck!  I just watched most of the 18 parts, skipping over bits here and there.  Pretty interesting stuff.  It's good to know that advancements are continuing and there will be some additional options out there 20 years from now.
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:05:11 PM »
Todd,

Hey I was glad that you enjoyed it, how about that cone shaped femoral head, pretty fancy huh?

I watched the video at work, I can't show stuff like that at my home as my wife faints at the sign of needles.  I was so very impressed with the way McMinn performed the surgery at the same time he fielded the many questions.

I really think that BMHR holds a lot of hope for us hippies in the future in case of problems, certainly it would be great for a surgeon to be able to switch mid surgery in the event something bad is found on the head of the femur.

Although I can see within 5-10 years stem cell therapy will be something that takes off and will save many of us OA patients from going under the knife.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM