+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: pain when bending  (Read 2555 times)

fintag

pain when bending
« on: February 14, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »
I am now 9 months post op on the left and 5 months on the right. The left has been great and I was swimming again at 3 weeks and feeling no pain. The right felt different from the start and at this stage when I bend down I have a "catching" pain in my hip and then pain for the first few steps. The x-rays show that the cup is not seated completely into the acetablum and I wonder is this what is causing the pain. Can anyone help with this?

karenj_m

Re: pain when bending
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:00:46 PM »
Leslie:
If the xray shows the socket cup not seated properly, then it could be impringement.

If you have the xrays - ask them to be put them on CD, then export them to a jpg file (picture) and email them for a free evaluation to Dr. Gross (SC), or Dr. Bose (india). Their contact info is on this website's home page.

Have them take a look to see what they think.

What has your surgeon said?
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:15:02 PM »
Lesley,

I am not a doctor but that catching pain that you're having is probably due to the cup not being seated properly.  Many things can happen when your cup is not seated properly including issues with elevated ion levels because the 2 devices are not making contact correctly, like Karen asked, what did your doctor say?   Cups in many cases can be revised but at this point as Karen said you need to get your x-rays to another doctor, unless your doctor has background with revising slipped cups I would not give him a 2nd chance.

Pat has lots of doctors listed with lot's of experience, Karen and I are partial to Dr. Gross because of his surgical abilites and the fact that he takes on difficult cases, but there are many other very qualified doctors out there.

Don't get down about this, there are answers to your problem.

Chuck

I am now 9 months post op on the left and 5 months on the right. The left has been great and I was swimming again at 3 weeks and feeling no pain. The right felt different from the start and at this stage when I bend down I have a "catching" pain in my hip and then pain for the first few steps. The x-rays show that the cup is not seated completely into the acetablum and I wonder is this what is causing the pain. Can anyone help with this?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:16:39 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

fintag

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:40:31 PM »
Leslie:
If the xray shows the socket cup not seated properly, then it could be impringement.

If you have the xrays - ask them to be put them on CD, then export them to a jpg file (picture) and email them for a free evaluation to Dr. Gross (SC), or Dr. Bose (india). Their contact info is on this website's home page.

Have them take a look to see what they think.

What has your surgeon said?

Have been back to the surgeon who referred me for facet joint injections to ensure that the pain in my hip was not caused by osteoarthritis in my back. The injections made no difference at all I never expected them to.. I have been back again and now he thinks I need the metal joint replaced with ceramic. Before this he is sending me for an anaesthetic injection into the hip. However he is planning on surgery this summer. The pain when bending is excrutiating and seriously limits my mobility. Walking isn't great either after more than 10 minutes.
Really don't want hip injections cause I know that the surgery has not been successful. I have had a good one, I know what it is meant to feel like.

karenj_m

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:02:31 PM »
Leslie:
Making you go thru a bunch of injections because the cup is mis-placed is not going to fix the problem.

You need to send simply xrays for review (FOR FREE) to other surgeons for their opinion if the cup can be saved or revised....

You can send them via email and they will tell you what can be done...it doesn't mean that you are having a "metal" problem...a mis-placed cup either metal or ceramic is going to hurt....

Please get a second opinion for others who fix complicated cases....

Karen

fintag

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »
I am following the instructions on how to create jpeg of my x-rays and then I will send to another surgeon. I will be cancelling the next set of facet joint injections which are completely a waste of time and money.

My problem is this is not a huge place and surgeons here rarely go against anothers recommendations. The surgeon did state that the cup was not seated correctly and that my leg was now longer than the other one, but this was only in a letter to the anaesthetist, never to me. He has told me that there has been numerous reports of metal replacements causing groin pain in "younger "women.

Thank you so much for the advice it does give me some confidence to ask for a second opinion.

karenj_m

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »
Leslie:
For your second opinions....email them outside your "circle"....its FREE...

Look at Pat's surgeon list section of her website for the emails for:

Dr. DeSmet (UK)
Dr. Gross (SC, USA)
Dr. Bose (India)
Dr. Mont (Baltimore, USA)

Send your xrays as jpeg files and make sure to tell your history and what your surgeon has said. You just need your xrays (current ones) on CD from the xray place...then when viewing on your computer, there should be something under one of the menus that says "export"...there it should let you pick where to save it (on your desktop) and what kind of a file (jpeg/jpg).

Please Note: (and this is MY OPINION ONLY)> I think your surgeon is telling you a bunch of crap about young women and resurfacing...because he isn't addressing that he put your cup in wrong and its probably causing impingement (rubbing, pinching)...or possibly a pseudotumor.

Ask him if he's going to "foot the bill" to have someone fix it...

Sorry...I'm ranting....I just get a little heated when people (even surgeons) don't take responsibility for "their" actions.

You need to find out your options...some socket cups can be replaced and your resurfacing saved...but this must be done by a top surgeon who has done this before.

Get the answers from them first...so you know what's going on from an outside "good source"

Please let us know how it goes, and let us know if there's anything we can do...

We are soooo wishing that everything turns out good for you.

:)
Karen

MarilynRS

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 11:44:52 PM »
Hi Leslie,

I'm just wondering what has happened, what is happening for you.... because it has been more than a month since you updated.  I am so hoping that this is working out for you.  Marilyn
Grateful !  U/c with Dr. Gross
L: 07/13/09 and R: 07/15/09

fintag

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 06:59:06 PM »
Hi,
  I know it has been ages. I have now had a total hip replacement and it has been amazing. The pain has gone completely, immediately after surgery. I am now back at the gym and carrying on life pain free for the first time in 10 years, it feels amazing.
Thanks for all the advice.

Lesley

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM