+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: hip resurfaceing question  (Read 7194 times)

rickt

hip resurfaceing question
« on: February 14, 2009, 02:35:47 PM »
please be patient with me.I need a hip replacement so i looked into alternative choices came up with resurfaceing.seen a doctor at bwh and was told my weight index was to high this would make me a candidate for failure . i am not happy with this .i am 43 and verry busy but not athletic.I would like to talk to some one on why a 350lb person can not get a resurfacing

John C

Re: hip resurfaceing question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:08:56 PM »
Hi Rick,
I would definitely try to consult with at least one or two docs who have done over a thousand resurfacings. I am not medically trained, but I do have a memory of reading a study in which the authors of the study were somewhat surprised to see that the patients with a higher body mass index often did better than their more slender counter-parts. One theory was that the larger people often had larger and more dense bones to support their weight. It is often the smaller, more thin boned people that had the problems in this study. I think that it is possible that heavier people might run into more trouble with THRs, because of the way that the loads are transferred. Don't give up until you have talked to some of the docs that have done over a thousand resurfacing cases, that might involve others like yourself.
Good luck,

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »
Hi

Some of the really experienced hip resurfacing surgeons will do people overweight.  Dr. De Smet of Belgium, my surgeon, has done some very overweight people.  Many insurance companies will pay for surgery in Belgium.  I paid for my own since I did not have insurance.  He has done over 3000 hip resurfacings and is very experinced.

The very experienced surgeons will give you an email consultation if you write to them and attach your x-rays in a digital format jpg     Look at my list and pick the surgeons that have done thousands and write to them.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php  Dr. De Smet would of course be one that I know does overweight people.  I would try Dr. Gross of SC, Dr. Su of NY, Dr. Mont of MD and any of the other really experienced surgeons.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rickt

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:29:24 PM »
rick here its been a wile i keep looking through all the hip talk i am still having problems getting a doctor to look at my case  i would thinck being neer boston i should be able to find a doctor i would like to avoid travel if posible due to family and money not working but have ins, short@long would like any help posible   

dw

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 05:40:26 PM »
Hi Rick, I understand your fustration, I do know the doc I used near Boston said it's difficult to position things correctly with a larger person, In fact, he had to revert to a THR because the person was large, and he wouldn't have been able to position the device correctly. So instead of taking that route, he went with the THR. Note, he tells his patients that he will revert to a THR if there is an issue that will prevent a successful HR - I think he said he's done that twice.

Dave

rickt

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »
thats good to er because i am hot big in my legs or arms just have agood sparetire aroundwaist that i am woring on wth my nuetritionest i myhave got a small chance with DrSnyder from newton welslywaiting for answer if he would concider my wait if so i will make an apointment t show xrays and mri

Bionic

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:30:26 PM »
RickT,

I know that Dr. Macaulay in NYC performed a hip resurfacing with a live webcam on a 300+ pound man.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RKAw9w-iP0

Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

rickt

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Hi everyone i just got good news from dr snyders office he would concider patiants 300lbs or less.I am working on looseing and hopeing to hit that goal to hit that weight .got an apointment for april3rd to look at my xrays and mris .I am tired of not getting around like before and tired of the pain I am lucky to have my great wife to help me through and this site also thanks rickt

Bionic

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
Go for it, Rick!  Losing the weight will also help your hip to feel better between now and the eventual operation.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

rickt

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 04:50:09 AM »
Hi I had my Dr's appointment with Dr Snyder at newton wellesley hospital in ma .Things went well I have lost 10+ lbs they are very professional and nice .DR said things look good and will be doing my operation for me  .Told me to keep losing weight.He said he will try to do resurfacing but will be also ready for semi total hip replacement which is cutting just below the joint .appointment for surgery will be sometime in June thanks for the support will keep informed

rickt

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
hi rick here   i got my surgery date for my hip resurfacing may26th  kinda scared but excited   hoping to get rid of this pain and hoping to get my maneuverability back    excited about Dr Snyder    he seems very professional and knowledgeable  need to go to seminar on before op and op day and after op  wish me luck thanks :) ;
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:01:19 PM by rickt »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »
Hi Rickt

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I hope you will be able to have your resurfacing. 

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rickt

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »
  ;D HI everyone rick here just got home from newton wellsley hospital from my resurfacing which i did get instead of a total replacement   I feel wonderful i did not need pain meds just tylenol i hope that's a good sign I can not say enough about dr snyder and his staff incredable !!! I can not find any problems to tell you  the stay and professionalism was great the rehab nurses were helpfull and curtious i feel i do not know if i could have gotten any better care i hope this will help with someone's desition if they are not sure please contact me ratowersr@verizon.net the first couple days were hard but moving around well thanks will reply again soon

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:37:39 PM »
Rickt

Glad to hear everything went well and you got your resurfacing. I hope your recovery continues to go well.

Thanks for letting us know how things turned out.

Take it easy and you will soon be enjoying the hot summer weather with that great new hip.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rickt

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »
 :D Hi rick here 5days post and doing good finding out lots of swelling if you do not keep ice on I was told from a good freind who got hip resurfaced 10 days before me at same hospital and before i left went to get other done i saw him after surgery and he said the best way to keep up on ice is the cheep freeze pops come in a case for $ 5 or less and keep refreezing them they rap around your leg verry well  and if you get hungry you can eat them     working on useing crutches willbe back couple days    rick

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat