+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: LIMP **  (Read 3139 times)

blitz373

LIMP **
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:27:31 PM »
I am 6 weeks post op. and I still limp, When will this go away ??   thank you....

dw

Re: LIMP **
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »
depends on the person, I'm 8 weeks today, and got rid of the cane last week, and can walk with an almost normal gait. I really concentrated on gait work on the treadmill - also streching the hip flexor...

dvander

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:00:28 PM »
14 weeks post-op with very slight limp.  It is noticeable after pushing the previous day.  I do not notice, but my best friends (miserable comforters) let me know it is still hanging around. My PT told me it is sometimes a year until the limp goes. 

Dwight V

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:54:45 AM »
I am two weeks post op and find that I have to actively think about my gait to avoid limping. Relying on 'doin' what comes naturally leads to a rolling limp which is often uncomfortable. Once I think about what I'm doing, I straighten up and the discomfort goes away. I guess for me the queston becomes how long will I have to think about walking.

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »
I am 7 months post-op and I still have a very slightly awkward gait if you look close enough.  I think much of it comes from the fact that I limped for so long it's more habit than it is because of pain and tightness.

If I walk towards a mirror and I concentrate my gait is perfect, but, sometimes I fall back to my old routine. 

I would not worry about a limp unless it's prounounced, as long as your pain and stiffness is going away your gait will come around on it's own time.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Bionic

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:03:27 PM »
I think the key to getting rid of your limp is to work your hip abductors.  Do that "Jane Fonda" exercise of lying on your side and raising your leg sideways as high as you can.  Try to hold it up for a while.

After a time, you can add ankle weights.  You can also go to the gym and use one of those abductor/adductor hip machines.  My local "Y" has one.

I'm just 2 weeks out and my abductors are still very weak.  The only thing I use my cane for is to hold me level.  Without it I would tip over, or at least have to lean awkwardly to one side.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

counsel934

Re: groin pain and numbness
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 02:30:22 PM »

i had  bhr surgery 3 months ago, and have been doing great. i went to pt for 10 weeks , have been doing abduction and aduction strengthing with weights. i recently was able to build up walking to 2.5 miles .
last week i walked outside and did three miles
since that time i have been having pain and numbness at the surgical site and numbness in my toes as well as grion pain
i thin k i overdid it
any suggestions

Bionic

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 03:10:46 PM »
Hey Counsel,

I would only suggest you ice, elevate, and take it easy for a few days to let your body recover.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

counsel934

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 03:39:49 PM »
thanks for the answer
i have been taking it easy for 4 days
will this go away

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 04:03:06 PM »
At 3 months I would be surprised to hear that it's anything other than you over did it to a few of your muscle groups.  Your hardware should have started to really set well by now.

If your doctor allows it I would suggest some Ibuprophen as it's an anti-inflamitory, Dr. Gross told me to use it if I over do things sometimes.   I've had days, especially when I was working on the abductor machines when I over did it and Ibuprophen always helped me.

If this goes on for more than a week I would suggest you call your doctor.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

counsel934

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 05:05:21 PM »

chuck
thanks for your reply. Just when u start to  feel better a detour occurs
since wed i have been taking it easy. ive rest whirlpool and  nsaids
its discourgaging , i hope it gets better

go steelers

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 05:33:21 PM »
Do you sleep with a pillow between your legs?  A body pillow can take some stress off of your back and hip.

If your pain was not the result of something you did like maybe picking something up wrong and you ended up with a shooting pain it could very well be something very simple.

Can you put weight on your leg without a massive shooting pain? 

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

counsel934

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »

chuck
im sure it came from too much excercise
for the last three weeks i took no time off from either walking the eliptical or bike
in addition i was doing  leg excercises with 10lbs and streching
i felt really good

i havent utilized a pillow between my legs since early jan, maybe i will try one

tony

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal