+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trying to run but....  (Read 4156 times)

McShane

Trying to run but....
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
I am 10 months post-op and can bike, swim, play hockey, and ride the eliptical but I experience pain while running. I lasted only 8 minutes on the treadmill today before I had to stop - the pain covers the entire right side and it almost feels like a nerve is pinching. My surgeon used conserve plus and I was told I would be able to run again. Anyway, very frustrating as I had the surgery so I could get back to doing triathlons. I think my running and tri days are over which has me quite upset. I would have just carried on with my hip as it was for another couple of years until it was completely worn out if I knew things would turn out like this.

Ross

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: Trying to run but....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »
Ross,

Are you lifting? Using and working the posterior chain is important. Lunges, squats, roman deadlifts are all good exercises. Also getting your core strong with planks, chins, dips, etc.

Also I'm wondering if it might be beneficial to look at the POSE running method? I'm experimenting with it myself to reduce the impact forces on my body. PM me if you wan to discuss in more detail.

spencer

Bionic

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:17:49 PM »
If a nerve is pinching, I don't know where that could be, except maybe in your back.  Is it possible you're running with an awkward gait that is stressing your sciatic nerve?

It's possible that some other, minor nerves were damaged during surgery and are still healing.  When my wife had her C-section, it took over a year for her to get back full sensation around the incision.

Perhaps you could back up a bit and try some intermediate activity between elliptical and full-on running.  Maybe some light jogging on a soft surface, like grass.  And make sure you've got lots of padding in your shoes.

I think the most important thing right now is not to get mad at it.  Tread lightly and allow yourself to ease back into running gradually.  When you feel pain, idle back and advance more slowly.  Don't try to break it!

I think you'll eventually be able to get back to where you want to be.  But it may take some time and effort.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

bothdone

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:14:23 AM »
Hi Ross

You say you play hockey - is that ice hockey or "field" hockey?  If it is hockey whicfh involves running, do you get any pain when you run during hockey?

Can you run any distance without pain?   If so, perhaps the way forward is to very gradually increase the distance you can run without pain.   If you've got pain from the start, can you set the treadmill any slower and still run?  You could try that.

Hope things work out for you and your running.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat