+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: New surface hippy  (Read 1545 times)

Joy

New surface hippy
« on: February 27, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »
Hello everyone well I'm now one of the club having recieved a ceramic on ceramic resurfacing from Mr Mcminn one week ago. I think I am the third person to have one of these devices so far.  Thanks Pat for your kind advice when I e.mailed you back last year.

nwugrad

Re: New surface hippy
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 01:45:03 PM »
Joy

Congratulations and best of luck!  I'd be interested in knowing more about the ceramic on ceramic resurfacing and why you chose it!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 01:57:47 PM »
Hi Joy

Congratulations!  Thank You for posting and telling us about your new ceramic on ceramic resurfacing.

I wish you the very best of luck with your recovery.  I hope you are back to being active and pain free very quickly.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.  We are all very interested in your story, not only because we care about you, but everyone wants to know more about the ceramic on ceramic resurfacing.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Joy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 06:23:51 PM »
Joy

Congratulations and best of luck!  I'd be interested in knowing more about the ceramic on ceramic resurfacing and why you chose it!

Thanks, I was given a questionnaire at the Mcminn centre, one of the questions was have you ever experienced any metal sensitivity or allergic reaction. I have lumpy scars in both my earlobes from when I had my ears pierced over 30 years ago although the holes are still there, I know that if I put any type of metal (and i,ve tried them all) into my ears they will become infected within a matter of hours. So I answered yes to this question, it was then suggested that I have a blood test to determine the level of my allergy.
When the results returned, they indicated that I was strongly positive to nickle and slightly less so to gold. Mr Mcminn said that he felt I would be a good candidate for a ceramic on ceramic resurfacing. I must admit I was a bit taken aback, as I had banked on having a metal BHR. This is a very new procedure, and I would be lying if i said that I was not concerned about the newness of it, as I am not  really the pioneering type, but I was also concerned about the possibility of an adverse reaction. I trusted Mr Mcminns judgement on this, and he said that this was a good option. So I decided to have the implant.

Joy

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:35:38 PM »
Hi Joy

Congratulations!  Thank You for posting and telling us about your new ceramic on ceramic resurfacing.

I wish you the very best of luck with your recovery.  I hope you are back to being active and pain free very quickly.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.  We are all very interested in your story, not only because we care about you, but everyone wants to know more about the ceramic on ceramic resurfacing.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat

Thanks Pat, I certainly will be on the site regularly, at the moment I am in the walk a bit, rest a bit, sit a bit, exercise a bit, ice it a bit, take painkillers a lot, very early stages. I am  taking it easy, if I do too much, the leg lets me know about it and how

stevel

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:42:03 PM »
Hi Joy,

Is the ceramic on ceramic resurfacing device composed of oxidized zirconium?  This is a metal compound which turns into a ceramic at the surface.  I notice Smith & Nephew manufactures both the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing system and a THR comprised of a ceramic surfaced femoral head with polyethlene lined socket.

Interesting that your metal allergy warrants the ceramic resurfacing device.  I also read about a patient who was allergic to cement (dental procedures) and received a cementless total hip resurfacing device by Dr. Su.

I suppose the worst case is somebody that is allergic to metal and cement.  Then the patient would need a ceramic, cementless hip resurfacing. 
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66

Joy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 07:37:07 PM »
Hi Joy,

Is the ceramic on ceramic resurfacing device composed of oxidized zirconium?  This is a metal compound which turns into a ceramic at the surface.  I notice Smith & Nephew manufactures both the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing system and a THR comprised of a ceramic surfaced femoral head with polyethlene lined socket.

Interesting that your metal allergy warrants the ceramic resurfacing device.  I also read about a patient who was allergic to cement (dental procedures) and received a cementless total hip resurfacing device by Dr. Su.

I suppose the worst case is somebody that is allergic to metal and cement.  Then the patient would need a ceramic, cementless hip resurfacing. 
Hmm I am no metallurgist as you will soon see, from what I have gleaned and (I may well be wrong here),  the surface of the femoral head is titanium nitrate ceramic and the cup is a titanium nitrate ceramic with a polymer added. I will try to get some of the science on this, from the Mcminn centre if you are really interested.

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear