+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: To All Runners **  (Read 1530 times)

blitz373

To All Runners **
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:26:32 PM »
To All :  How soon after operation were you able to resume running ??  I am now 6 weeks post op. and am curious when I can run ?   I know it is up to my doctor, but I am curious how long everyone else had to wait ??   thank you ...

stevel

Re: To All Runners **
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:17:22 PM »
I have to wait 6 months.  I am 5 months post-op today.  When I asked my doctor about running, he said "You are an Engineer, you figure it out!"  In an inteview with Vicky Marlow he states "...I would ideally like the hip resurfacing implant to last as long as possible, and I feel that repetitive running on hard surfaces may be detrimental to the implant and its connection with the bone.  If a patient feels strongly about running, I would prefer it be done on a softer surface."
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Tarhoo2

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:47:21 PM »
Folks, suggest you see the "Running..." section under "Athlete's Corner."

I have basically ignored that part of the website until now, because running has been off limits.  I had one BHR in 12/07 and the second in 4/08.  As I approach the 12-month mark on my second BHR -- the point at which my orthopaedist will allow me to totally resume "full" activity -- I am starting to think about running again.  I probably haven't been able to run for close to seven years.  I've been walking 3-5 miles a day or riding the recumbent bike 40-50 minutes for several months.

Until my hips got bad and even after, I was able to stay in pretty good shape.  Over the last 5-7 years I haven't done a very good job of it.

I am very interested in hearing of others' experiences, as well as recommendations about how to approach returning to a fairly rigorous exercise regimen.  I appreciate what's been given back to me and do not want to un-do the work of my OS; however, I'd like to get back into shape and don't mind pushing myself as far as I can.

Hope to hear more from you all.

Best to all my fellow surface hippies.

Jim

Bionic

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:37:09 AM »
Biking gives you all the pleasure of being outside and enjoying the passing scenery.  Elliptical training works many of the same muscles as running, can give you a "runner's high," and is probably better for your upper body.  So who needs running anyway?

I want my hip to last a long time.  Maybe I'll run around the bases playing softball, but running mile after mile on pavement?  No thanks!
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »
Hey blitz,

I was given the green light to resume running by my doc at the 6 month mark. I am now eight
months post op and I only run on trails, running tracks, grass or treadmills. I stay off of the concrete and asphalt for now. I'm experimenting with some new biomechanics called "pose" running.
It's a technique that takes the pounding off off the joints. Just google "pose running method" and see what you think.

I'm only running 2x/wk with minimum volume but I can run a 6:15 mile now. that used to be my old training pace 4 years ago before I had to quit. I do a lot of short intervals. PM me if you'd like to discuss more.

take care,

spencer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat