+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pulled the trigger 2/23  (Read 2492 times)

patrick

Pulled the trigger 2/23
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
Today is day 6 with my newly resurfaced left hip. I have probably spent 36 plus hours on this website over the last two years. My story is similar to so many of you. 48 year old male, runner, r-ball enthusiast, avid golfer (required in Arizona). Left hip started hurting in 2005 after a very active sports weekend. To make along story short I had the hip scoped with microfracture surgery done in 2006.Surgeon informed me that the clinical study they just completed on the scoped/microfracture procedure had resulted in all patients requiring a THR or Resurfacing within 5 years. My hip never got better and I made my decision to move forward with hip resurfacing based on this website and a lot of due diligence.
My surgeon was selected based on experiece, and location( twin boys 9 months old the day of my surgery). Dr Wade Shrader from the CORE Insititute here in Pheonix. I met with Dr Shrader three times to interview him as well as the one other ortho surgeon here that had met my criteria. Dr Shrader had 64 surgeries when I first talked with him in March of 2008, 86 in September 2008, and 111 when I left the O/R Monday the 23rd.
When I awoke in recovery the doctor told me the surgery was perfect and the X-rays show great alignment. I was dopey but happy.
I was in the Hospital for five days. Day one I still had the epideral in all night, the swelling was sustantial as was the drainage. Pain was very manageable. Day two I started running a fever that reached 103. The surgeon had told me beforehand this was common in men (ouch) and did not indicate infection. Pain was awful in my hip muscles and groin area, and the swelling/drainage was substantial. I was given my first PT the second night (Holy Mary Mother of God) what have I done. At this point I could not recall any Hippies describing this type of pain level. I may have a new hip but what the heck is this pain ridden log attached to it. On day three the fever was better 101. Pain meds were ratcheted up and I thought the worst was over....then came PT.I managed to do all the exercise with limited muscle contributution. Swelling and drainage from the incision still substantial. The staff delayed my departure for two days based on the fever and drainage.
Day four surgeon cleared me for release the next day, PT was torture. I was being lapped by a 63 year old who had his second hip resurfaced the same day, with the same surgeon as me. I swore to keep my sock grabber thingy attached to my cart for PT that night to show him a thing or two....he was released later that day.
Day five I got to come home....wonderful. Pain is manageable unless I move. I was able to begin to rediscover my quads, what a marvlousl, painful reunion. Fever is gone, the swelling and drainage have slowed some. I am taking Oxycottin every twelve hours as well as supplementing this with a lower dose of Percosett. As of today the sewlling is still dramatic and the drainage still steady. I tried to reduce the pain meds...what was I thinking? Getting up in the morning is a long slow painful process. Those first six steps after resting are awful. I think today is the first day I believe things will get better at some point.
I am doing my exercises and taking all my meds and praying for improvement.

Patrick

Bionic

Re: Pulled the trigger 2/23
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:09:59 PM »
Hi Patrick,

It sounds like you've had a tough time of it, but I'm glad things are at last looking up.  Adequate pain medication is really important during the first week.  I have to wonder whether somebody at the hospital dropped the ball.

I had my right hip done on 2/11, and it was virtually a pain-free experience.  I'm really sad to hear about all of your troubles and a bit angry, too.  It doesn't need to be that bad.

It's surprising to hear you still have drainage.  I had a little spotting, but no steady flow of anything.

On the bright side, you've now got your resurfacing, you've got good cup position, and the future looks bright.  Just hang in there.  I'm sorry you've had so much pain.  I think the swelling should start to subside in the next day or two.

Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

patrick

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
bionic

nwugrad

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:10:30 PM »
Patrick,

Glad to here things are improving nicely.  Every one of us is different and we have some different experiences based on how our bodies respond, their pre op condition, the surgery,etc... Sorry to here it took longer for you to get everything moving in the right direction.   Things like drainage apparently apparently can be fickle.  In the scheme of things you now on the road to a normal life and it only took a month or so.  From that perspective its really a blessing. 

Best of luck.

patrick

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:14:35 PM »
Bionic
Thanks for the kind words. Things are looking up. I can get around with the walker much better. PT is still tuff but showing good results. Lots of clicking and cluncking in the new hip, but as of today I can differentiate the pain from the muscles and incision. The bone on bone is gone. Drainage has stopped.
Your comment regarding the hospital is very much on the mark. Anyone in Arizona considering resurfacing should talk with me first.
Thanks

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »
Patrick,

You are the first person from Arizona that I've seen on this site who stayed in state for resurfacing. You're a brave soul. Two of us from here in Tucson, went to Madison, WI and NYC.
Two from Phoenix that I know of went to San Diego and Columbia, SC. I believe another went to Mt Shasta, CA.

Good Luck, I hope your recovery goes well.

take care,

spencer

patrick

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »
Spencer
Thanks, I think. I too was amazed to not encounter other Arizonans searching for information. I know there are several hundred people that have been resurfaced through my surgical group.
I spent many a sleepless night contempalting Rogerson or other out of state surgeons. In the end I felt comfortable with my doctor and having twin toddlers as well as owning a business here I decided to stay local. I have no complaints about the surgeon or his staff. On the other hand their experience and knowledge of the difference between a resurfacing vs a THR in no way quarantee's this same level of knowledge is shared by the staff at the Hospital they choose to operate at.
Today ia better, and tomorrow I hope will be better.
Patrick

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 05:26:17 AM

Re: start running by spartykus
May 02, 2024, 04:08:53 AM

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 02:27:12 AM

Re: when did your pain/discomfort completely go away by demens13
April 29, 2024, 12:12:52 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal