+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: ADDUCTION **  (Read 2370 times)

blitz373

ADDUCTION **
« on: March 02, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
I am 7 weeks post op. and am having the most trouble doing adduction exercises.  (especially on the sit down adduction/abduction sit down machine at the gym.)  It hurts,canonly stretch very little moving leg out (adduction motion)..   Anyway, is anyone else having trouble like this at 7 weeks ??   and what can I expect from here ??  I really want to be able to do this motion with no pain and much more range of motion..   Your input is greatly appreciated.    thank you .....       

karenj_m

Re: ADDUCTION **
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:08:20 AM »
Hi Blitz:
Adduction is towards the body right?

I use to lay on my back, knees up, feet flat on bed, knees apart...and roll up a bed pillow like a ball..then put it between my knees (right at the knees)...and squeeze my knees together.

Now if I over squeezed...I would feel a twinge in my op leg groin area...that means I did it toooo hard for the time frame of recovery that I was at.

Then in the same position, I would tie one of those therabands under and over my knees and then let my knees fall outward towards the bed...this is for abduction...

These exercises are probably better at this stage than using a big machine. It may be too soon for you to use a machine specifically for these exercises since it really makes those muscles work....

Just a thought :)

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

Bionic

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
Hey Blitz,

Adduction is moving the leg toward the center line (sagittal plane); abduction is moving it away.  I think the weakness you're having is in abduction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adduction

I'm nearly 3 weeks out and that's where my big weakness is.  It makes sense since the incision is directly through the muscles responsible for abduction.

According to my doctor, weakness in abduction is totally normal at this stage and takes a while to resolve.  You may need to work with Theraband, as Karen suggests, then move to those "Jane Fonda" sideways leg lifts, and eventually get on the abductor/adductor machine at the gym.
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

stevel

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »
I began using the abduction/adduction machine at 7 weeks post-op with 25 pounds, 2 sets of 10 reps via physical therapist.  No problem.  I had been doing standing side leg extensions, clamshells (supine, bent knee raises with theraband) and supine leg raises in preparation for the strengthening exercises.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:02:36 AM »
Bionic,

I think Gross will allow real light weights on an abduction machine after the first 6 weeks if you're real careful, I used both machines @ Bally's I now keep it to 80#s, that was only after 6 months did I really increase the weights. 

I can now do 250 on a sitting squat machine.  Feels really great.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

dw

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 02:51:05 PM »
well, I'm almost 9 weeks, and I'm still getting stronger there - straight leg raises (laying on back and side) with ankle weights attached and clamshells with weight by the knee.  My PT said to be real careful with the machines because they can use the quad more than the abductor - same with the side leg raises, need to engage the glute first (tense).  Getting stronger - but that is the weakest area for me.

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 03:03:52 PM »
DW,

You hit the nail on the head. The glutes are the key. I absolutely hate the adductor, abductor machines. I won't even allow any of my clients to use them. Following PT, progressing to bodyweight exercises and finally free weights are the way to become stronger and functional. I think machines have their place but only on a limited basis. Multi-joint movements produce the best gains. Best to avoid the isolation exercises to avoid knee pain and bursitis.

take care,

spencer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM