+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 4344 times)

Gib

Need advice
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »
I had my left hip resurfaced in August of 2007.  My right resurfaced in November of 2007.  I enjoyed amazing pain relief and had a good summer and fall of 2008.  In October of 2008, I had some foot surgery on my left foot which required the use of crutches and using my right leg exclusively for six weeks.  Shortly after the New Year, I started getting pain in my right hip and thigh, very much like it was before the repair.  The Doctor first thought it might be appliance failure and then perhaps a stress fracture and put me back on crutches and pain pills.  The pain is getting worse, especially at the end of day when at rest. When the leg "sets up" I can't engage the muscle without severe pain.  Ice helps but only temporary.  Needing more pain pills on a more frequent timing.  The Doctor is not exactly sure what is happening but ultimately suggests a THR.  I certainly don't want to have further surgery unless its the only answer.  This site seems to have some pretty informed people.  Any advice??  Gib 

obxpelican

Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 10:37:33 PM »
If your doctor is unsure of your situation that always bring to mind possibly seeking out a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Have you had x-rays since your last bout of pain? 

Pat has a great list of doctors, pick one of the really well versed ones lik Mont, Gross, Su or Rogerson, someone who has lot's of history with dealing with hip resurfacing.

I would never give up a resurfacing without a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Gib

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 07:58:37 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, I've had several x-rays a couple of weeks apart. It does seem to show that there may have been some movement.  Also had a bone scan that shows something is funky in the femur neck.  Niether are conclusive for  a stress fracture.  Gib

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »
Gib,

You have one half of the puzzle, those are your x-rays and scans, get them to another doctor ASAP.  You need not live in pain. 

The worst that could happen is that you find out you need to revise to a THR, it happens but the newer large MOM THRs are very good and you could very well be buried with it if you end up getting one.

This site is in place to spread the good word about hip resurfacing, but it's not here to say THRs are evil, they have their place in a surgeon's tool chest and the large MOM THRs are a very good replacement for an HR.

Whatever the case, get it taken care of so you can have a great Summer.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

karenj_m

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:20:02 PM »
Gib:
Please have your ortho's office put your xrays onto a CD and export them into a jpg file and email them to other top resurfacing surgeons. If you have your original xrays (right after the surgery) have them put on CD also for comparison...and send those along.

There is NO charge for another surgeon just to take a peek at your xrays...email them to Dr. Gross in SC (for example).

It would be good to show an xray immediately right after the device was put in and an xray of now...this way they can see if the device moved, or is loosening for some strange reason..along with what is going on with the femur neck.

Please do this before any surgery...its just a 2nd opinion...but its important to know what is going on.

Let us know if you need help...

Good luck,

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

Gib

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »
Dear Folks,  It has been a while since I visited your site.  Since then, here is what has happened.  On March 9th I visited my Dr. in severe pain and he had me in for a THR the next day.  He found that I had an infection that had essentially made the femur neck die and thus loosen the appliance.  He did not have to change the cup.  Where did I get the infection?? We may never know but as I said in my original post, after my resurfacing, I had some foot surgery that required external pins from my toes.  My doctor thinks I picked up an infection which went to my femur neck on my right hip. (I wonder why I wasn't on antibiotics during this time???)   The next six weeks after surgery required antibiotics done daily in a home infusion.  I am happy to report that all is well.  Water aerobics continues to help. My left resurfacing seems to be OK.  Thanks everyone.  Gilbert

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear