+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How would you know if your new hip was wearing out?  (Read 3698 times)

Grimbo

How would you know if your new hip was wearing out?
« on: March 11, 2009, 11:20:09 AM »
Having only had my new hip for three months - I hope I am at least a decade away from even worrying about this, but I was just curious to know what the symptoms would be that your Birmingham hip was on its last legs!

obxpelican

Re: How would you know if your new hip was wearing out?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:30:35 PM »
I've read anywhere from swelling to extreme shooting pains up and down the leg.   I've also read that some have felt a "looseness" in their hip and sometimes a major clicking/clunking sensation, not the low level stuff we get post-op.

I seriously doubt many people will wear out a BHR, Dr. Gross has seen tests with the biomet device he uses and the wear rate tests yielded multiple lifetime results.   When the device needs replaced is when it loosens from the bone or femoral fractures.

Let's hope that none of us has to find out the hard way.

Chuck
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:34:16 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Grimbo

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 05:52:38 AM »
Chuck...

I suppose that's where the uncemented ones have the advantage over cemented. The cement will probably wear out before anything else!

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:25:42 AM »
Cement has been the gold standard now for a long time and we have hippies running around with many years of great adhesion. 

Cementless has the advantage of not causing excessive heat which sometimes may cause AVN, cementless is also another thing that can go wrong if the doctor does not mix it properly.  I look for cementless as making the operation easier for the doctor and faster too.

The jury is still out on cementless, early results are good but time will tell.  I have not had anything fall out, yet   ;)

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:06:33 AM »
Chuck,

In the second sentence, you mean "cemented is also another thing that can go wrong if the doctor does not mix it properly."

Dr. McMinn has experience with cementless and dismissed it years ago.  Dr. Gross has a proposed solution but needs a couple of years of experience, before publishing the results. Meanwhile all you recent uncemented Gross hippies are "Guinea Pigs."  I suppose us BHR hippies are guinea pigs for long term results (beyond 10 years), but some athletes have been punishing their BHR's and they haven't failed yet (e.g. Cory Faulk).
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:49:44 AM »
Steve,

Yes, I could see if the cement was mixed improperly it could be an issue, it's not usually.  The amount of cement can cause issues too.

I agree we are the "Guinea Pigs"  for uncemented femoral heads, but keep in mind I said cemented is the gold standard and they do seem to hold up well.

I am on the side that if uncemented becomes the gold standard it will do so because it's simply one less step in the operation not as much because cemented failed because it looks good so far for cemented so I really do not consider you a "Guinea Pigs".

I picked Gross not because of his uncemented femoral concept but because of all of the positive feedback people gave me about him and his staff, my second choice was a surgeon who does not perform uncemented.  I had my choice of cemented or uncemented, Gross would have done either on me, but I chose what made sense to me.

As it looks right now I think uncemented will be the gold standard assuming I and others don't have stuff falling out.

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »
Chuck,

The thought of uncemented did cross my mind.  I asked Dr. Su about the BHR and he said it had been around the longest.  He also installs Wright Conserve Plus and Biomet.  I know he installed at least one Biomet uncemented due to the patient's allergy to cement (from dental work).  I wonder if he installs more Biomet uncemented or does Dr. Gross have exclusive rights to uncemented?

I watched the Bourne Ultimatium last night.  The training facility was supposedly at 415 E 71st street in New York, but further research indicated it was actually a building at 60 Lafayette Street.  When Jason Bourne jumped into the East River at the finale, he actually jumped from the Hospital for Special Surgery at 535 E 70th St.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm having deja vu?
Steve
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »
Steve,

I am not sure if Gross has exclusive, he was one of the doctors who helped design it though.

One question, I have a fellow who will be calling me about HR surgery tonight, he will be done by Dr. Su.... would you mind chatting with him?

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
Chuck,

Yes, I would be happy to chat with him.
Steve
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:33:42 PM »
Please msg me your phone #
Chuck
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »
Chuck,

How did your chat go yesterday with the guy to be resurfaced by Dr. Su?
I sent you my phone no. yesterday.
I will be home tonight at about 8 PM ADT and this weekend in the AM (until about 12 PM ADT).
I've been reading the travel logistics for out-of-town travelers going to Dr. Gross in Columbia, South Carolina and I have some tips for patients going to Dr. Su in Manhattan, New York.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:50:56 PM by stevel »
Steve
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 05:20:20 PM »
He did not call, he said over the weekend.  He said he would call you.

By all means, give him plenty of tips.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 11:17:56 AM »
Chuck,

We talked last night.  He is scheduled for surgery with Dr. Su next Saturday, March 21.  Dr. Su must be busy if he is doing surgeries on a Saturday.  The guy is age 62 from Connecticut and will drive to New York City.  I believe I reduced his pre-op anxiety.
Steve
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 11:28:08 AM »
Thanks!  Way to pay it forward Steve.

I'm sure he'll do well with Dr. Su as other patients have done really well with him.  Of course he's no Dr. Gross  ;D (jk)

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM