+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Soreness after one year-Doctor's thoughts  (Read 2461 times)

Timbo

Soreness after one year-Doctor's thoughts
« on: March 11, 2009, 04:19:59 PM »

Well, I got to the doctor yesterday, and discussed this soreness problem around the incision after I wake up and walk around.

His thoughts, which he has seen before........Bursitis from the trama of the surgery and healing process. Not sure how this all happened or what it entails.

Got a cortisone shot yesterday. Pain much duller today and hopefully I have been told, after a short while, I may never need another one again. Let's hope he is right. He seemed pretty confident. My advice is if you are experienceing this after 6 months or longer, you might want to see your doctor instead of waitng for it to go away on it's own.

I hope he is right as it is the only remnants remaining of any discomfort of the operation. I was told by the way, that my range of motion after a year is excellent. Actually, I can move my operated leg in some situations more than my other one.

I hope everyone else is feeling better as time goes on.........

Rolls

• RBHR 1/31/2007 Snyder, LBHR 10/25/2011 Marchand
Re: Soreness after one year-Doctor's thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:40:53 AM »
Hi,
This is my first Post.  This site is what I have been looking for, and I found it by accident.  No I didn't get hurt.
I am now 50 yrs old and had my BHR surgery on my right hip done over two years ago.  I felt great right after surgery, except for one area which had a numbing awkward pain...nothing bad.  Well this pain has never gone away yet.  My doctor did the Ganz procedure where he breaks your trocanter.  This was never discussed with me prior the surgery or after the surgery.  I found out from my post op visiting nurse who went out of her way to find out what procedure I had.  Long story, short, I let this go on too long and I want answers from my doctor now.
It is still irritating at the area where the screw holding the trocanter together got loose.  If I knew better I would say it was loose all along my rehab process.  I could feel the screw head.  I asked the doctor if it would cause damage to my tissue where it was constantly rubbing and he said it wouldn't.  Well, as far as I know the hip is great except for this annoying pain where the screw was.  I also had an additional surgery to remove the screw, so instead of being out of work for 6-8 wks I was out 12 wks.
I researched this BHR surgery extensively prior to my operation and thought I had a great doctor (Newton Wellesley Hospital, MA).  I just feel bad that he never told me how and what he actually did.  Come to find out others he has done the screw has always gotten loose.  I know...it is my own darn fault.
Talk to you soon,
Chris
RBHR 2007 Snyder NWH,Boston not considered a success.  Still pain 5 yrs post surgery.  Snyder did Ganz procedure. LBHR 2011 Marchand SCH,RI is doing excellent, Marchand did it like it is supposed to be done.

peteuk

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 01:00:11 PM »
hi Rolls, i had a ganz as well , it a bit of a long story but i had the same crunching /iratation where the screws were , i had them removed after 11 months and things have felt better since then , the surgeon quoted that 40 % of people need the screws removed so you will not be alone ,
i was told of what the procedure entailed and it was explained as short term inconvenience for long term gain,  pete

Rolls

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:55:37 PM »
Hey Pete,
Thanks for replying.  Did you have your surgery in the UK?  How long ago?  I have been feeling quite better now that I am using a recumbant bike.  I can't do treadmills, I can't run, I can't play softball and walking...I think on every step.  It doesn't help that my left hip is now going also.  So, a little inconvenience for long term gain, huh?  I am still waiting and haven't heard from my doctor in over one year.  Good follow up huh?  What was your doctor's reason for doing the Ganz?
See ya,
Rolls
RBHR 2007 Snyder NWH,Boston not considered a success.  Still pain 5 yrs post surgery.  Snyder did Ganz procedure. LBHR 2011 Marchand SCH,RI is doing excellent, Marchand did it like it is supposed to be done.

peteuk

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:50:42 AM »
hi Rolls, yes i had the surgery here in the uk in march 08, i went in for a resurfacement but came out with a mom thr because my femoral head split when the surgeon was banging in the cap,
they don/t do the ganz procedure with a full hip replacement but because he started out to do the resurf i had two screws plus the spike down the bone,

i have struggled to bend my leg more than 90 degrees for the 11 months after the op plus it has been sore around the site of the screws,

after i had them removed in feb this year the sugeon also pulled my leg around while i was under i have gained a bit of mobility in my range of movement ,so now after 12 months i feel as if i am at last on the mend,

i think the reason for the ganz is to preserve a blood supply to the femoral head and to save cutting muscle ,the bone with muscle attached is removed ,the bone takes 8 weeks to heal together but the muscle takes a lot longer , i seem to remember that being said , the surgeon who removed the screws also uses the ganz procedure so they must think there is some benefit there ,that being said i would rather not have had the ganz because i think that was what held me back in my recovery,

you should not be in pain /discomfort after two years , i don/t know how your medical system works but you must go back to your surgeon until you are satisfied that you are getting some help,

when did you get your screw removed? how long after the original surgery? have you had any x rays after the screw was removed to see if the bone has fully healed,

the short term inconveniance part was to stay on two  crutches for 8 weeks and one crutch for a further month just to give the ganz part a chance to heal properly so if you hand/t been told there may be a possibility the bone has/nt healed as it should ,

in one of the other threads a lady had a ganz somewhere in the states and the surgeon wired the bone piece back but again she wasn/t told and the bone became displaced ,

i think your only option is to go back to the sugeon and try and sort out what is causing the discomfort , if everything was ok you shoulkd be pain free,

i hope you can get it fixed because i know how you are feeling , you go through with the op with great expectations and every day you think maybe tomorrow it will be better but it should be after 2 years, take care , pete

Rolls

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »
Hey Pete,
Sorry to get back so late.  Sorry to hear you didn't get the BHR due to the break, that IS a bad break in all respects.  Who did your surgery, one of the practicing BHR doctors?
I had the screw removed at 11 weeks, I believe.  The bone was already healed and the head of the screw was pushing on my skin it was that loose.  I can't believe you had to wait almost a year to get them  removed.  The only pain I still have is from where the screw was, it feels numb and irritated, but it seems to be getting better all the time, now that I am using the recumbant bike.
Yes, I had xrays right up to the full year, everything looked good.  I believe the Ganz and the screw did cause the delay in total recovery.  But, if this thing lasts longer than THR I will be forever grateful.
I have composed a letter to my surgeon and mailed it the other day.  I will let you know what comes of it.  Next step...I need to see another doctor for my left hip...it is now throbbing daily.  It stinks getting old...only 50.
Good luck with your progress, hope it feels better.
Rolls

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat