+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: raising knees to chest  (Read 2021 times)

sunny

raising knees to chest
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
It has been 3 months for me since I had my implant.  I was told by my surgeon that I cannot raise my knees to my chest or cross my legs ever.  I've been reading some of the others who are bowling, horsebacking riding, climbing.  Wow, that is wonderful news.  I am still tight if I bend over to far.  I still do my stretches and go on the treadmill.   I do not need to see my Doc for 2 years.  Can someone figure this out for me?  Perhaps it just that I am older at 64, it will take more time.  Yes, I can't wait to get to the pool as soon as it opens.

Tekka

Re: raising knees to chest
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:16:38 PM »
Hi Sunny,

I suppose we must follow our surgeons advice and maybe your age may be a factor, but I do feel you have a point when you read so may other postings from other hippies on this site, I am 43 and at seven weeks tomorrow and I have been overly strict with myself regarding not breaking any protocol's, but I can now tie my laces and have started to stretch fairly forcefully...but with care.

I am no expert but maybe you can ask your surgeon for some outline reason why you can not stretch a little more, but I would ask before doing anything.

Hope you get some answers and let us all know.

Best wishes

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

sunny

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »
Terry. thanks for the info.  Doc did say it will get better.  I do stretch.  I can't tie my sneakers on my recovery side.  Oh, I can bend down, but not enough to tie the laces.  It will take sometime to read all the items on this site and like you, I am cautious.  Good luck to ya.

gcloss

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:54:49 PM »
Sunny,

Do you go to PT?

I had RBHR 9 weeks ago today and still go to PT 2x's per week. I spend 2 hours at PT with my therapist stretching me all over the place, treadmill for 30 minutes, recumbent bike for 30 minutes and a few special machines to strenghten my leg muscles.

My doctor is pretty aggressive and lifted all restrictions at 2 weeks and wants his patients to go to PT. Between the teamwork of my surgeon and my physical therapist, most people don't even know I had hip surgery.

Good luck

John C

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:42:33 PM »
It would seem like a good idea to ask your surgeon some questions about those restrictions. One of the reasons that many of us were attracted to resurfacing is the idea that, after an initial healing period that varies by Doctor, there would be no restrictions on range of motion. Most resurfacing patients are encouraged to bring there knee to the chest, and cross their legs, as part of the rehab process, so it would be interesting to find out why your case would be different.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat