+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Cannot bend to tie shoe **  (Read 2122 times)

blitz373

Cannot bend to tie shoe **
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:43:25 AM »
I am 8 weeks post op. and cannot bend to tie 1 shoe or put on 1 sock (on the side of repair), anyone else have this problem ? and how soon before I am able to do this ??    also have trouble doing abduction movements......   please help...

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: Cannot bend to tie shoe **
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:55:34 AM »
It was a a while before I felt comfortable to do that, I want to say 3 months or so?

ROM comes, don't push it.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 04:26:15 AM »
I am 22 and 14 weeks post op tomorrow (bilateral) and have only been able to tie my shows and get my socks on for the past couple of weeks and it's still not easy.

Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

karenj_m

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:55:02 AM »
Blitz, Barbara...start with this (since you are past the six week mark).

Get a good straight back chair (like a kitchen chair).
Sit properly in it with you lower back pressed all the way back (like in school)
Feet on the floor
Knees bent and apart about shoulder width
Begin by learning over your op-leg like chest to knee
Let your op-leg knee fall a little outward (just a little)
Reach with each hand (at the same time) for each side of the ankle
HOLD....and breathe...be gentle and fall into the movement slowly (not forceful)

DO THIS ALOT!

I use to do this at work when I went back at 6 weeks...Each time it got better and better, and then I could reach my shoelaces...then I would try to reach further by touching my fingertips on each side my shoe to the floor.

NOTE: I could not sit properly and tie my shoes for 12+ years as my hip was almost naturally fused from all the damage....

Another thing to stretch that area is lying on your back and pulling your knee to your chest, again...alllowing the op-leg knee to go just a little outward.

Hope this helps...
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

Tekka

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »
Hi Blitz,

I am jusy over seven weeks, you must remember that you leg has to get used to this new ROM, after all it's been stuck in some un natural positions for years. I can just manage to tie my lace if I sit on the stairs but I do struggle with my sock, one of the reasons I feel I do not want to go to far, as my wife keeps telling me its not a race.

The stretching listed are similar to what I do, but I would confirm with your doctor and make sure you are ready.

Good luck

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

sunny

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:11:40 PM »
I too cannot get sock and snealer on for my surgery side.  I do well on the opposite side.  I was told this will get better.  I am almost 4 months now.  I can bend down, but not to tie.  I was also told not to raise knee to chest, so I know how you feel.  I have been out to get new shoes or sandels that I can just slip on.  Good luck      sunny

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »
When I purchased all of my post surgical "toys" I thought that sock assist thing was the most bizarre thing I had ever seen. Now at 5 weeks post op I get around just fine with out my cane, can put on my pants with out the reacher/grabber but that sock thing is still my best friend :-)

takilasunrise

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 01:55:34 PM »
I still can't get there as comfortably as I do my non-surgery side, and it's been over a year.  The only time it's not a problem is if I am sitting on my couch, which is lower to the ground. 

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:55:42 PM »
For 3 days running, if i cross my surgical leg over the good leg verrrry slowly, and reach down verrrry gently, i have been able to put my sock on without the sock thing! I feel sooo grown up  :)

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats