+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Abduction **  (Read 1472 times)

blitz373

Abduction **
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:43:49 PM »
I am 8 weeks post op. and I am having a lot of trouble doing Abduction movements and Abduction exercises (movement of legs away from body)..  I seem to be very weak in these muscles. this is the most difficult of all therapy exercises..  Please help and let me know how you do , or did in this area ??   The exercise I do in the gym is to sit on the machine and try  to pull legs away from body (using very little weight).... help .....

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Abduction **
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:10:01 PM »
Hi
Abduction always seems to take a long time to recover.  Don't worry about it.  Your mind can't force your body to heal.  Only time will do that.

It will all come with time.  Be kind to yourself and don't push it.  By this summer you will be much more recovered and enjoying yourself.

Have a little patience and you will soon be well on your way to getting back to normal.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

John C

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:31:34 PM »
At eight weeks, I also found this to be slow to return. At eight months, it is feeling pretty strong, and continues to improve.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

wayne-0

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 01:12:49 AM »
Try getting into a warm pool for your exercises, it helped me alot.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

karenj_m

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:58:52 AM »
Blitz get a theraband from the PT folks...its just a stretchy rubber band thingy.

Lay on the bed on your back, bend knees, feet flat on the bed, knees together.

Place the theraband under both knees and then tie it over the top of your thighs right before your knee cap...tie it nice and snug.

Now relax and let both knees fall to the bed outward (where your inner ankles end up touching each other), bring back together, and fall back out. As you get stronger you can help by using your muscles and moving the legs toward the bed.

Each color of a theraband is different which tells the PT person how much the therband will stretch. Some you have to use more muscle to make it stretch. So you want the easiest theraband first, then the next, then the next, so you can use more muscle as you get stronger.

When you get stronger, you can stand on the floor, tie the theraband right above your knees (legs together), then going sideways take a wide step...keep taking wide steps (until you run out of space in your house), then switch to the other side and take a wide step, back together, wide step, back together, and so forth, like walking like a crab.

Then after a couple of weeks, try the "machine" again....you should see a difference if you've done the above 2 x a day.

Good luck

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat