+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: post op grinding and pain  (Read 2202 times)

Josephine

post op grinding and pain
« on: March 19, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »
Hi

I am getting on for four months post op and doing quite well, I have been walking lots and have no limp at all anymore. In the past week or so I have noticed a really strange grinding sensation sometimes accompanied by sharp pain. I get a reasonable amount of aching in the joint which I am sure is muscular. This sensation is new and it almost feels like something is moving? It is difficult to explain and often happens when I am sitting and change position. It is probably just me being a bit nutty but I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience and can reassure me?

Thanks

Josphine

karenj_m

Re: post op grinding and pain
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:11:55 AM »
Hey Josephine:
I had that funny grinding thing...and I believe I noticed it around 4 mths.

If I put my hand on the outer hip where right where the joint is  and  I stand normal posiition and then put my op-leg where I'm kinda standing on my tippy toe with knee bent, then move my knee over towards the other knee, staying on my tippy toe...I can feel (not hear) kinda of a grinding sensation...

Its never hurt, life is great, ROM is really impressive, and I don't feel it as much as when it was 4-5 months...I wasn't to worried about it because all xrays looked great!

(and of course I had a great surgeon)

I thought that because of all my past surgeries...there's gotta be some nastly scar tissue, etc. and maybe the device is sliding over it or something. It hasn't been a concern.
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:12:53 AM »
Josephine,

When in doubt always contact your doctor, it could be something that needs attention but then again it might be just part of the normal healing process, it never hurts to ask for an x-ray and get it looked at.  Your doctor probably took post-op x-rays and he can compare the two.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Josephine

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:04:43 PM »
Hi

Thanks for replies, I guess I should seek medical advice but was wondering if it was a tendon or something moving over the joint? Is that possible? It often elicits a sharp pain like I say and feels sort of popping or cluncking sensation (so hard to describe) and it is mostly when I sit at a computer like I am now. I haven't had much physio so could it be that I have not built up enough muscle to hold the joint properly or a trapped nerve?

J

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 12:09:16 PM »
Josephine,

You could well be right about the tendon, what concerns me is that sharp pain that you're having.  Many people have pops, clicks and grinding but most of them have no pain associated with it.

It never hurts to get an x-ray and if it's nothing it will give you some peace of mind so that you can go through the rest of your re-hab.

Please keep us informed.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Josephine

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 12:50:19 PM »
Thanks Chuck

I will give my surgeon a call, it was all going so well...

I will keep you posted

Josephine

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat