+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Only 18. Anyone else have a Birmingham hip at a young age?  (Read 1685 times)

elar

Only 18. Anyone else have a Birmingham hip at a young age?
« on: March 25, 2009, 02:39:46 PM »
I was diagnosed with AVN due to a slipped capital femoral epiphysis when I was twelve.  Since then, I've had two surgeries, one to pin my hip and one to clean up loose bone and cartilage.  However, it's reached a point where I have difficulty walking to class, bending over, even sitting or standing for any extended period of time.  I can't even ride a bike because my femur is twisted in my joint, so my leg will not come up and down straight.  I'm a collegiate swimmer too, and now the hip is even affecting my performance in the water.

MY surgeon has decided that now is as good as any time to have the operation, and that I will receive a Birmingham hip.  Basically, my question isn't if now is the time, but what can I expect after the surgery, especially being so young? Has anyone else had noticeable complications, particularly in the longevity of their Birmingham hip? Or any precautionary warnings?

I've done plenty of research, but I'm just a little nervous; so any input would be appreciated.

bothdone

Re: Only 18. Anyone else have a Birmingham hip at a young age?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »
Hi

Sorry to read about your hip problems at such an early age.

I had my first BHR age 50 and thought I was young until I started visiting this website where I found much younger people with hip replacements.

he best information I got about how long a BHR would last was that no-one really knows.  They haven't been round long enough to get accurate figures.  The estimate I was given was a life-time for a BHR of 30 years.   If it fails then a total hip replacement can then be done.

The good news for you is a BHR preserves quite a bit of the hip joint and over the next 30 years who knows what develops in hip operations and replacements may come along.

I hope things go really well for you.

Very best wishes

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »
Hi Elar

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I am pretty sure you are our youngest member. I am sure it is discouraging to have to be considering hip resurfacing at your age.  I do have several stories of very young people on the Hip Stories that had resurfacing - 2 at 14 years old. Kaibree  http://www.surfacehippy.info/kaibree2006.php   and  Ioannis  http://www.surfacehippy.info/ioannis.php  There have been a few very young people with hip resurfacing so you are not alone.

If you are in pain and can't lead an active life, it normally is a good idea to have a hip resurfacing so you can enjoy your life.  You are lucky to have learned about hip resurfacing since it is an excellent option for younger people and even some of us older folks!

I just wanted to welcome you to Hip Talk and say Hi.  I hope you will stay in touch and tell us your story when you have your surgery.  The people here are very supportive and can answer a lot of questions for you since everyone has either had a resurfacing or are about to have one.

I want to wish you Good Luck with your upcoming surgery.

Pat
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:26:55 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bernsber

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
We have a fairly alike story. I too had a Slipped Epiphysis at 12. One surgery to pin it up, and then one a year later to remove the pins. I too was a swimmer. In addition, I also have dysplasia in both hips. Now I've had both of my hips resurfaced at age 32, and I couldn't be happier!

Because you have AVN, I would make sure that you confer with a Dr. who is very experienced with that. AVN needs to run its course before you are resurfaced. If you email your xrays to Dr. Bose, I'm sure he'll be able to help you out. I don't have his adress, but I'm sure you can find it on Pat's site, or she could direct you to him.

I'm also available to talk about my experience if you'd like-612-227-3893

Good Luck!
Ben
Dr. Su LBHR 9-11-08
RBHR 12-5-08

cindy26

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »
I don't have a brimingham hip but I have a Depuy Total hip at 27yrs old due to slipped capital femoral epiphysis also. I had 4 surgeries growing up the first one at 13.  The total hip was done last wed (8 days out).  Feeling ok just a little slow recovery. 
Cindy

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal