+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cup Placement Problem  (Read 2262 times)

patrick

Cup Placement Problem
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:29:07 PM »
I just returned from my four week follow up with my doctor. My recovery, in my perspective has been on the slow side. I am doing my PT daily at home, and three times weekly with a therapist. I have a lot of clunking/clinking in my hip, not painful but very disconcerting. I am walking ok with a cane, and did 1/2 mile today after PT. My concern is after reviewing my X-rays with the surgeon today I clearly notes the cup was not properly aligned with the cap. The surgeon agreed that it was off by approximately 3mm.
He said there should be no issues, or any increased risk of dislocation. I did not see in his eyes the conviction of his words. He did say that ther would be an increased degree in the friction/wear factor. Frankly my heart is heavy, I wanted to be able to return to the sports that I love. I am not sure where I go from here. I don't want to find myself putting my family and myself through another surgery. I really believed that with 100 plus resurfacings I made a safe choice with my selection of my doctor. Pat's words are echoing in my mind now....use the best most qualified doctor regardless of location. 

obxpelican

Re: Cup Placement Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:13:21 PM »
Patrick,

I would recommend you get a 2nd opinion to make sure that your implants are in a position that you do not have issues with too much wear.  Metal ions could become an issue and sometimes it's warranted to get blood tests to check the function of your kidneys to make sure that you are ok.

You MUST think of your future not short term at this point, it's critical that you get on the right track to walking straight lines without any issues.  Short term things like another surgery and some more rehab sometimes must be done to allow for long term solutions.  Worrying about your decision to choose one doctor over another is not what you should concern yourself with....... even really experienced surgeons can have problems here and there, what's done is DONE.  Nobody on this site will judge you on your decision we're here to offer our support.

Pick one of the doctors from Pat's list who has lots of experience and send them a digital picture of your x-rays and ask the doctor what they think, then think of your options.

Don't let this get you down, many people have had problems and ended up really good in the end, but you must at this point be your own best patient advocate.....what ever you do, fight to get your hip back to health. 

Good luck

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

the flash

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:43:25 PM »
 I have a question.  Maybe Chuck knows the answer.  I had my BHR Jan 21, 2009..Seems to be doing O.k.  Should we be tested yearly to check for too much iron in the blood or don't do anything unless we have some sort of problem.  Thanks

The Flash

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
I do not know any doctor who requires yearly tests for metal ions.... you might want to ask your doctor what his protocol is at your one year exam.  I would be willing to bet he would not have you take one unless you had some concerns.   Your doctor will sometimes ask you to take the test if your implants are not at a nominal angle.

I am glad to hear you are doing well. 

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat