+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing, Flying and FAA Medical Exams  (Read 3223 times)

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
Resurfacing, Flying and FAA Medical Exams
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »
Are there any surface hippies out there who are pilots?  How long after your surgery was it before you were back in the cockpit as pilot-in-command?  Did you have any "issues" with your first flight physical after surgery?
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

toroqu

Re: Resurfacing, Flying and FAA Medical Exams
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »
I am a commerical pilot and will be required to provide the following at my next FAA first class physical:

Surgical report

Written approval from surgeon stating that I can return to work and " May resume normal activities without restriction" (exact words necessary).

I am not sure of requirements if you are a private pilot. Call your examiner if you have questions.

uberalan

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:11:22 PM »
Thanks Toroqu.
Alan/Denver, CO

hipster

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:15:11 AM »
Let's keep in touch. I will be done rt side, Dr. Mont on 4/9/09. I am a pilot and opted for the anterior lat approach with Dr. Mont due to the incision and trauma not being on the "sitting areas"...LOL. I'm not PIC, but have to uphold a First class due to being type rated and IRO eligible at CAL.

Hipster
RHR Wright C+/Dr. Mont/4-9-09

toroqu

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 12:40:13 PM »
Since you are a member of ALPA, I would suggest that you communicate any concerns with ALPA Aeromedical. They are the experts in medical issues and will be able to answer any questions concerning the requirements for returning to work. They told me to expect to be out of work for 3-4 months. Do not rush your return to work. Make sure that you can do the walking, sitting and bag dragging before you go back. I was planning on going back after 3 months but instead I ended up hurting myself. I pushed too hard while exercising and ended up being out another two months. You will be very happy with your resurfaced hip. I am finally experiencing no pain after 4 years. have a great surgery!

uberalan

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
Let's keep in touch. I will be done rt side, Dr. Mont on 4/9/09. I am a pilot and opted for the anterior lat approach with Dr. Mont due to the incision and trauma not being on the "sitting areas"...LOL. I'm not PIC, but have to uphold a First class due to being type rated and IRO eligible at CAL.

Hipster

I haven't really noticed a problem with the incisions being in the sitting area.  Dr. Gross use the posterior approach, but he also uses minimum invasive surgery (MIS).  My incisions are only about 4" long and have healed nicely at three weeks post surgery. 

Dr. Mont is another excellent Dr. and I am sure you will do well.  Please report how back how the surgery goes tomorrow.

I am hoping to have my flight physical as soon as Dr. Gross gives me a release at six weeks.  I will let you know how it goes.
Alan/Denver, CO

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz