+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Suergery Set  (Read 2350 times)

LOGAN13

Suergery Set
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
For the past two months I have sat on the sidelines reading and learning. Well today I start discussing. My Surgery date has been set for Mon June 1st. A light at the end of the tunnel I spose, yet the weight on my shoulders has shifted instead of lifted. I have come to terms with the fact that hip resurfacing is exactly what I need, and that procrastinating is no longer an option. Still for a guy who has been healthy and active all his life, surgery of this magnitude is hard to digest. I guess it's too late to hope this is just a dream..lol. Anyhow, as many before me I have put my trust in my surgeon & look forward to regaining my hip health. Thank you Pat & all those who have responded to my questions. I look forward to continue to come to surface hippie as my own personal therapy.

Thank,

Tim Ont Canada

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
Re: Suergery Set
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »
Short term sacrifice, long term gain! Very soon after surgery you will ask yourself "What the hell was I waiting for?"  :)

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
Re: Surgery Set
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:10:07 PM »
Tim,

For me scheduling the surgery was a major turning point and once that was done everything else has been pretty much downhill. 
I find it is a surreal experience:  Logically I know this is major surgery, but experiential it doesn't seem to be all that big of a deal.
I went to the hospital, received the spinal, woke up and the bone on bone pain was replaced with muscle soreness and an incision.  I was up the next day on crutches.  Twelve days later, I am walking 1/2 mile on crutches and beginning to walk around the house without crutches.

Keep us posted on your progress and ask any questions. 

Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

LOGAN13

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:36:07 AM »
I appreciate the replies, and yes I was gearing myself up handle surgery, but how quickly things can change. Yesterday morning I was given a surgery date of June 1st, but by days end it has changed to August 11th. I went from anticipating how relieved I would be 9 weeks from now to confused again.  ??? I realize I am not the first person to have their surgery postponed, but this makes no sense to me. I was told hospital policy just changed, and that only one hip resurfacing procedure was now allowed per month.  ??? Does this sound normal? You see here in Canada things move at a slow pace, but I don't get this at all. I need to take time to let this sink in....any feedback is appreciated.

thanks,

Tim
Ont, Canada

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
I cannot speak to what goes on in Canada, but I agree with Alan's assessment of the lead up to surgery. I knew that i was going to be cut open and a part of my body was going to be replaced with metal. I never really processed that as the day approached. Even as I was going through all the surgery day pre-op stuff it was still kind of abstract. Then I was waking up from the happy juice and it was all over. As sore as I was, the first thing I noticed when i stood was that the grinding was gone!

karenj_m

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »
Logan:
I "wonder" if its because of the cost associated to the government??? Being Canadian health insurance is "socialized"?

(My father is Canadian....and I have lots of relatives there, dealing with the health care nightmares....one relative battling cancer, and had to wait 3 months after diagnosis to start treatment)....

Hang in there....ask your surgeon if there's a cancellation, can they move your date up.

It will all be worth it in the end :)

You'll be a bionic-Canadian, eh?   ;D

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

brownie

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »
Tim,

Where in Ontario are you? I live in Mississauga and was referred to Dr. Frank Smith out of Henderson Hospital in Hamilton. My appointment was the end of November and surgery was sey for March 5. I am now three and a half weeks out and I am now back to work for 3 hours each day. I am doing physio 3 times a week to build up the muscles in the leg, and have gone from a walker at the beginning, to crutches to now walking with a cane. I have had very little pain through the whole process.

LOGAN13

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 12:02:51 PM »
 ;D Good for you Brownie>Best of luck. As for me....I live near Windsor>>>I researched Dr Smith and got a referral to see him back in November. About a month later I had my family Doc call his office, as I had not yet received an appointment date yet. I found out it would take 6 months to see him, but was told I could get in sooner to see Dr Avram. I accepted an appointment to see her Wed March 25th. Between Jan & March I tried to research her background with little success. I decided to let meeting her decide my direction. I was impressed with Dr Avram especially since her internship was under Dr Smith, so I accepted her to do my hip. Monday Morning I called and was given a surgery date of June 1st, but by afternoon I was informed via email that hospital policy had changed to allowing only 1 hip resurfacing procedure per month. My new surgery date is Aug 11th. I do not understand such a policy  ???. One other thing that is bothering me is that I still have not found out how many resurfacings Dr Avram has done. I have asked via email a couple times with no response. I kick myself for not asking during my visit. Much was covered in a short visit, as well I was thrown a bit by the news that my other hip was deteriorating as well<< damm.

Brownie, I would really like to discuss surgery more with you. Good luck...Wishing you a speedy recovery :) 

LOGAN13

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 12:16:10 PM »
Thanks Karen, I am trying to refocus.  I am hoping for a cancellation>>>wow I guess I am ready for surgery lol.

And yes the Canadian system is flawed, especially in treatment for cancer.  >:(

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »
Tim

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery.  You will get nervous and have cold feet, but as you have read from many others - your new hip will serve you well.  You will be out of pain and active again.

Good Luck.  You will get a lot of great support from the Surface Hippies here.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat