+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Reaction to Implant  (Read 1803 times)

MetalHipMikey

Reaction to Implant
« on: April 02, 2009, 04:03:36 AM »
Hey all

I'm 33 years old and have Synovial Osteocondromatosis, also known as S.O.C.

I had my left hip resurfaced back in September of 08, and have started to have joint pain all over my body.

I have flu like symptoms with the joints hurting but no fever nor do I end up getting sick.

I started having pain in my right hand two days after surgery but thought nothing of it.

but after a steady increase in pain of the last few months I went to see my PCP and had some blood work done and ask if maybe I may be having a reaction to the implant.

Has anyone heard or have delt with this issue?

I would like some helpful info for when I go see my PCP next week and if i have to go back to UCLA to see the Doctor that did my surgery.

Thanks for the help

karenj_m

Re: Reaction to Implant
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »
Anything on this yet Michael?

Did you get a staph infection during the procedure? What do they know?

(my non-medical opinion) Its seems odd that it would be a reaction to the implant....since you started having a problem 2 days post-surgery.  An infection would cause that, not a metal allergy (an allergy takes a bit longer to show up).

Let us know what's going on....
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

MetalHipMikey

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:35:32 AM »
I have some blood work done on Monday and I am waiting for the results. I should hear something around the first part of next week.

I did get a staph infection but it was on my head, and it popped up about 3 weeks after surgery. once i figured out it was staph which was about three days and got on antiboitic.

the all over joint pain has started with in the last 2 months and is getting worse, as in the duration and the area effected. it almost feels as it is coming in waves.
again like when you have the flu you can get that yucky feeling.

my hands will hurt and then move up my arms or my shoulders will hurt and then go down my spine.

the worst are the hip pains and when my feet and toes hurt.

you said that an allergy takes a bit longer to show up. so in your non medical opinion lol could it then be a posibility that i am have a reaction to the metal?

karenj_m

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:56:06 PM »
hi Mike

I'm just basing it on your statement, that 3 days later you started having pain in the hand joints.

A metal allergy (I would think) takes longer...but a Staph infection is pretty quick.

When you were on the antibiotics (was it pills or creme for your head?), did your body still ache?

Do you have a fever?
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

MetalHipMikey

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
i was on a sulfure based pill and the body aches didnt start until maybe januarary but i just thought i was getitn sick.

and i never had a fever with the staph and i dont have one now or at least nothing that would cause my dr. to worry about an infection of some kind.

i actually liked the way you said in my non medical opinion thats why i said it lol

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear