+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Still can't put my socks on  (Read 3715 times)

n9gun

Still can't put my socks on
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:00:10 PM »
Hello -

I'm getting very frustrated.  I had my left hip re-surfaced on November 24, 2008.  I still cannot put my sock on without the plastic helper.  My range of motion is very limited.  I walk with a slight limp and it is more pronounced on bad days.

I stretch almost every day.  I do 7 miles on the recumbent bike and 30 minutes in the pool 2-3 times per week.  I am an active 45 year old man that cannot participate yet in sports and it is frustrating.

The doctor thinks we just need to give it more time as he says the implant looks good.  He wants to re-evaluate at the 6 months mark.

Any words of wisdom or advice?  I could us ethe help.

Thanks,
Tom

Tekka

Re: Still can't put my socks on
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
Hi Tom,

I'm ten weeks post op from my LBHR and I have not done any pt for 5 days now, I think it is important to listen to your body and give it a break and see if that helps, obviously you must listen to your surgeon and take on board what he/she recommends. I am a fit 43 year old and I thought I would bounce back with ease from my operation, but I also have a limp and some days it is worse than others, but it is worth remembering how much pain we were in and hopefully you are free of that bone on bone?

It is frustrating though, but I like you maybe slower on the recovery road, but we all get there in the end, if the implant looks ok then hopefully it is just a time thing mate.

Good luck mate, keep us updated.

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

annie

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:11:23 AM »
Hi Tom,

Don't despair it takes time and everyone is different.

I had mine done on October 23rd and its only just recently since I was able to put my sock on.  I think middle to end of February it was.  Even then I still have to sit on the bed and cross my operated leg under the other one and can only apply sock to tip of toes.  But at least I can put it on so I am very pleased about that and I can tie my shoe lace too albiet with elastic laces and again only by sitting and pulling my foot up on the bed.  But its still early days yet and you will soon find a way of getting round it but just don't push too hard.

Kindest Regards
Annie

peteuk

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:30:32 AM »
hi, i would say just give it time ,its only 4 and a bit months, i have had a slow recovery and i never thought things were going to ever get better but it has in the end allbeit over a year, my range of motion was bad ,still is/nt what it should be but you will read it may take a year to get fully better and that is what it has taken me and i think it will improve even more with more time,

the operation is major stuff and it takes a long time for everything to heal properly , i do understand your frustration because i was exactly the same but time does heal as they say and you will get there in the end , pete

n9gun

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments.  I do see small amounts of progress weekly.  It's hard to imagine that I would take this long to recover.  I expected to be much further along as I guess we read those amazing stories of recovery published.  I was not expecting to run a marathon or anything crazy, but I also never expected to have issues related to getting dressed at this point in the process.

I just wish I could do something about it besides the wait and see approach.

Thanks,
Tom

wayne-0

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:10:13 AM »
Hey Tom,
Just think how long it took your hip to get that bad, years.  Only four months after surgery is very soon so give it time. The best thing that helped me in recovery was starting a very light yoga routine, every morning for about 20-30 minutes.
Good luck.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 06:44:00 AM »
Guess I lucky, since I live Hawaii, we go barefoot all da time, so no need socks....

Seriously, the thing I did when at work putting on my socks and shoes, just sit there and breath, get the stretch going with your breath and mind, take your time, if you gain 1/4 inch after a few minutes, just think of the next 1/4 inch..don't push it if it hurts, just push it to the good pain and the thoughts of how much better your doing today.  For me, washing my hip side foot after work while in the shower, to bring it to my hand and let my hand give it more range of motion, and to keep it there to stretch..feels good/bad/good, but I can do it so its been working for me...But still, don't rush, it will come.

It either that or you gotta move to Hawaii and simply use slippers all the time...lol
Eric 8)

the flash

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »
 Hi all,

I am 12 weeks post op and I can almost put my sock on.  When I try my leg hurts for most of the day so I just use the gizmo.  I can cut my toe nails finally which is a big relief and I can dry my foot after a shower somwhat.  As long as I am improving, ever so slightly, I will try to be patient.  My goal is 6 months to do all those things and have very litlle pain.  It amazes me when I read about all of the people who in 2-3 weeks were doing rigorous excersizes.  I read many times to waiy 4-6 weeks before you overdo it as the implants have to adhere to the pelvis and leg ball.  I had a few bllod issues but so far so good with the hip.

John C

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »
I would encourage you to be patient at four months. I am ten months out now, and still gradually gaining range of motion and strength. I read an interesting article about the bodies process of rebuilding elastin (as I understand it, these are the cells in the muscles that allow them to stretch without pain) in the muscles rather than the scar tissue that forms after the surgery. The numbers were something like 10% at six months, 50 % at one year, and 18 months before it is back to pre-surgery levels. By these numbers, you are only getting started on the road to recovery, so you have a lot to look forward to :)
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

n9gun

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 09:31:10 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  It has been an additional month (now 5) and I've seen only very slight improvements.  My flexibililty of the leg outward and forward extension is about 50% of the "good" leg - which is not very good in the first place.

I saw my general physician yesterday to get his opinion.  His belief is that there is an impinjement of the joint or scar tissue on/around the tendon that won't let the tendon work properly.  Since I'm going back to the Ortho for a 6-month check in a few weeks, he suggested an MRI should be in order.  Based on the significant ROM problems with the leg, he thinks that Ortho will need to go back in arthoscopically and clean off the tendon to release it.

Has anyone heard or seen this before?

Thanks,
Tom

takilasunrise

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »
It's been 1 year and 4 months since my surgery, and I still can't do it sitting on anything tall!  I can do it without any problems on our couch that is lower to the ground.  Maybe that's not the norm for the time I have in, but I've accepted the fact that I might not ever be able to!  But all the other benefits of having it done outweigh that little issue! 

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
Yesterday, at 5 1/2 weeks post op for my second BHR, I managed to get my socks on for the first time without assistance.  Now it wasn't pretty, nor easy, but I managed. 

For many reasons this hip is coming around much better than the first.  Probably took 3 months to get my socks on last time.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat