+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone return to playing basketball?  (Read 39698 times)

tchucker

Anyone return to playing basketball?
« on: April 11, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »
I am 41, had my resurfacing done in Jan 09. I can work out with weights, do the eliptical, walk normal, all mostly pain free. My goal is to get back to playing basketball in the next 3-4 months.

Anyone successful in returning to basketball? That was the main reason I did this surgery. Thanks!

Todd

Re: Anyone return to playing basketball?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:28:15 AM »
I had my left BHR in Jan/09 as well, and I'm still waiting to get back onto the court.  I have no doubt that in a few more months that will be possible.  Each week there is improvement in strength, but I'm certainly not able to jump or absorb stop and go impact yet although I do test it against my 8 year old--my defensive capabilities are pretty limited, but I can still hit an open shot over a kid! 
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Razor09

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 04:10:19 PM »
I am 41, had my resurfacing done in Jan 09. I can work out with weights, do the eliptical, walk normal, all mostly pain free. My goal is to get back to playing basketball in the next 3-4 months.

Anyone successful in returning to basketball? That was the main reason I did this surgery. Thanks!

tchucker,
     Any progress w/ your return to the court. I just had my left hip resurfaced 1 Jun and would also like to play a little pick up ball at some point.

Any advice...

Tarhoo2

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »
I look forward to reading the responses to your post.  I used to play alot of hoops; not any for many years, despite my love of the game.  Can't think of many sports that would provide a greater test of a hip resurfacing (especially in terms of impact on the joint and range of motion).  Some success stories here would really provide reassurance to those with more modest expectations.

Rabbott

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »
Age 28 Left hip resurfacing Oct 17 2008

Doctor said I could start playing Basketball at 9 months but i started playing at 7months or so and just didn’t tell him, but I will say this you need to come back gradually my first game back I new I came back too soon and was really sore (took another 3 weeks off) also it can cause a lot of pain to the knee since most of the shock goes there, so a knee brace is recommended and good shoes.

I only play once a week but I general play for a long time 2 to 4 hours, and have improved every week I’ve gone out there, ironically at 9months (which is when my doctor said I can play) I don’t have as much soreness in the hip anymore

Two things I’ve noticed is my hip as become a little bit more tweaky just a few more nagging pains maybe do to soreness or just do to irritation to the tendon that runs down the groin I’m going to try and do more stretches for this before and after I play to see if this helps

If you happen to have your HR on the leg you don’t jump off of you will be in much better position to come back and stay pretty much pain free, I jump off my left leg and that’s the only thing that I worry about even thou its gotten better

But after being able to play again for the first time in a year in a half I realized It would be very sad if I could never play again 

Good Luck

medgerton

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 12:19:27 AM »
I played pickup basketball regularly 3 times per week up to March of this year. The last time I played I couldn't stand up after sitting down. It took me a good 10 minutes to get my left leg under me and able to bear weight. So I haven't played since then.

I am scheduled for a left hip resurfacing with Dr. Ball in mid September. He did say that I could return to basketball. So I am excited about that. I used to run the court pretty good. But started slowing down a bit the past few years (I am 53 yrs old).

I am looking forward to getting up and down the court again. And play golf with a normal swing!

mmckeone

• Cold water tough on a bad hip but worth it.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »
It was great to see that there are people returning to basketball after resurfacing.  I would love to be able to get back on the court.  I am not scheduled for surgery yet but hope to be in October or early November.  I am just curious if anyone has experienced injury or if there is a risk of wearing the replacement out more quickly with such a high impact sport.
November 25 BHR with Dr. Rector in Boulder very successful.

medgerton

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 05:07:19 PM »
I would say that you are not going to wear out the appliance. It is a tough metal alloy. I don't think that a properly positioned appliance will wear out playing basketball. I hope to test that theory in the near future. Scheduled for left hip in four days in San diego - Dr. Ball.

tmaroo56

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »
I originally posted under tchucker, but I lost all my login stuff, so I am now in with a new login.

I finally returned to playing baskeball after a 16 month absense. My surgery was in January and I got on the court for the first time in late August...7 months past surgery. I was very rusty and clumsy, but it had more to do with the layoff than my hip. I stretched well before I played, and I iced and stretched after I played. Everything felt good. I was a little sore afterwards, but I felt nothing in the actual joint. The soreness was in my groin, and my guess the main tendon in the groin was the culprit.

I feel great on the court. I am not a jumper, but I feel faster on my feet. I used to slash to the basket with more reckless abandon. I now have to pick and choose my spots. I am very pleased and I now am playing twice a week. I wear Thudd Compression Shorts, because it has padding for my hip and thighs. I might be a tad bit over-cautious with that, but why not.

I believe that I have made a smooth transition because the doctor here in Seattle did a great job, I worked hard on PT and I continue to work out with weights and the elyptical machine. I also lost weight to put less stress on the joints, keep up on stretching and icing, and I am playing a little smarter in relation to the punishment I want to expose my body to.

I love playing basketball. It was my number one reason for doing the resurfacing. I am 41 and having fun. I will keep updating from time to time.

medgerton

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 01:33:11 AM »
Thank you for posting this. I am 14 days post op and doing really good. The joint feels good and I am able to walk pretty well now.

My doctor said 6 months for basketball and 2 months for golf. I am looking forward to reaching those timetables.

I used to play inside but I moved my game to more of a guard play. So I should be OK upon my return. 

Keep us up to date as you progress.

I originally posted under tchucker, but I lost all my login stuff, so I am now in with a new login.

I finally returned to playing baskeball after a 16 month absense. My surgery was in January and I got on the court for the first time in late August...7 months past surgery. I was very rusty and clumsy, but it had more to do with the layoff than my hip. I stretched well before I played, and I iced and stretched after I played. Everything felt good. I was a little sore afterwards, but I felt nothing in the actual joint. The soreness was in my groin, and my guess the main tendon in the groin was the culprit.

I feel great on the court. I am not a jumper, but I feel faster on my feet. I used to slash to the basket with more reckless abandon. I now have to pick and choose my spots. I am very pleased and I now am playing twice a week. I wear Thudd Compression Shorts, because it has padding for my hip and thighs. I might be a tad bit over-cautious with that, but why not.

I believe that I have made a smooth transition because the doctor here in Seattle did a great job, I worked hard on PT and I continue to work out with weights and the elyptical machine. I also lost weight to put less stress on the joints, keep up on stretching and icing, and I am playing a little smarter in relation to the punishment I want to expose my body to.

I love playing basketball. It was my number one reason for doing the resurfacing. I am 41 and having fun. I will keep updating from time to time.

wesinator

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »
tchucker,

Thanks also for posting.  Appreciate that someone is "trailblazing" the way back to court.  I am at 3 months post op and feeling great.  Dr Gross advises 6 months for impact activities such as basketball.  Hip feels great, like I could go back now.  That said, I've only run a little through the house chasing my daughter.  Haven't tried running full court, jumping or anything like that.

Definitely going to shave a little bit off of the 6 months, just not sure how long.  Figure doctors inherently have to be extra conservative.  At 37, I also hope that the recovery process may be faster?

There will always be those worries (am I going too fast?  Am I shortening the life of the implant?).  10 -15 years from now, we may know better if we pushed the devices too far, but life is short, right?

I like your idea about the Thudd Compression Shorts, I may try that.  Definitely, one of the worst things that could happen is falling directly on the hip (which has happened to me in the past, so I know it’s possible).   Although I have read that (once completely healed) a resurfaced hip would take as much energy to fracture as an original hip, anything to cushion that possibility is appropriate, especially prior to one year.

Good luck and play well!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:13:52 PM by wesinator »
Wes
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
7-13-09

roosevelt heights

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 06:57:48 PM »
Curious to know how /if the return to the court for hoops has gone...I officiate and I am suffering from basketball withdrawls...my surgery is not until mid february so I hope to get back for HS fall leagues next season...

wesinator

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 05:10:59 PM »
Dear Roosevelt heights (and all),

At just under 5 months post op, I have just recently returned to playing basketball, last week being the first week back.  Played 2 full court games Wednesday, and then (since we only had 7 people) played 5 half court games two days after that.  Although I am certainly not 100%, especially running full court, I am definitely way better than before the surgery, and anticipate continued improvement as my hip gets stronger.  The main thing, though, is that I can run, and there’s no pain!  I could definitely referee if needed.  If you are interested, there’s more detail (long windedness?) in my story thread at the location below.

Hip Talk > Hip Stories > Hip Stories > 37 yr old athlete hoping for more court time (Wes's Hip Story w/ Dr. Gross)

As far as setting timetables for yourself, the one thing that Pat has stressed in her comments on peoples threads is that everyone has there own recovery rate and that there are many variables that determine one’s own timetable.  There are no guarantees, and you must listen to your doctor and definitely to your body.  That said - if you are having surgery in Feb, (based on my experience and what I have read on this website) I would be definitely be optimistic that you could be ref-ing by 8 months later (mid October).

Good luck!

Wes
Wes
7-13-09

roosevelt heights

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 10:10:55 PM »
U just made my day...

htj

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 10:12:50 PM »
To hoopers,
Interesting to hear that basketball is on the list; I used to love the game but had to give it up years ago due to hip problems.  I've had my left resurfaced and will have the right one done after next golf season.  Based on what I hear said by all of you, I may try to play again (I had always thought that b-ball was too rough on a new hip)
Thanks, HTJ

wesinator

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 05:37:18 PM »
Hello again all…
At the about 6 month post op period, I am keeping with my progress reporting…
Would like to update that I have been playing at least once a week, and this week played 3 full court games Tuesday night, then yesterday (Friday) afternoon, ran 5 full court games.  I can now run almost full speed, and the kid gloves I have been treating the hip with are starting to come off.  Yesterday, was wondering if maybe I had pushed it too far, not from pain or problems, was just thinking “this has got to be too much, right?”.  I even tried my patented spin move layup at full speed.  But I must say, I am only normally sore today, no problems with the hip or supporting muscles / tendons, etc.  Before the surgery, I was up to a Celebrex a day, maybe two, plus 2 ibuprofen before playing, now no need for anything.
Sweet…  Thanks to a F-ing medical miracle – I AM BACK.    Thank you!!!
As always - best of luck to you and your hip story,
Wes
Wes
7-13-09

Razor09

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 07:07:57 AM »
Hey Wes,
     Thanks for the updates they have been really helpfull. Mine is a similar story to yours. Former ball player in college, 6'8, 39 yrs old and at my 7 month post op point.

I've been walking, lifting wieghts and biking for months now and started running on the treadmill and track a few weeks ago.

Did you have some soreness after the first time you ran and/or played ball?
Seems like everytime I add something new it feels sore for a few days after.
I just don't want to over do it.

Thanks again,
Razor

halfdone

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 08:27:20 AM »
I don't play hoops but I'm pretty active in other sports.  I had a great recovery, but have been pleasantly surprised that my hip strength continued to improve well over a year after surgery.  (eg. certain muscle groups: adductors, abductors needed ongoing work).  I have adopted a prehab/rehab strategy for my hips, sort of like management of muscles that have been prone to a sports injury in other areas, as part of my conditioning routine in the gym - (e.g. as a swimmer, my shoulders benefit from TLC) - and this is working for me.  Given the demands of hoops, you might find that keeping up some of the rehab PT exercise for your hips as an ongoing part of your conditioning will pay dividends on the court. Have fun!

wesinator

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »
What up Razor!

To answer your question, was mildly sore towards the end of my first true full court basketball session 1.5 months ago at 4.5 month post op.  Played two games, and by the end of the 2nd, could tell it was time to stop.  Honestly have been very conservative with regards to pain, but the thing is, is that I haven’t had hardly any.  The worst thing I’ve had is I thought I may have tweaked something in there while walking (hopping?) up a hill while playing golf at about 3 months post op. That went away after a few days.  So as I felt tightness and tiredness begin to happen in the hip area that first night, I resolved to stop after that game and let it rest.  My personal mantra is “listen to your hip”.  While I sometimes ignore the rest of my body’s aches, the hip has my full attention.

Overall, as I’ve steadily increased the intensity and length levels over the past 1.5 months, have not felt that much irregular soreness.  There’s the soreness of getting back into shape, the soreness of overdoing it some nights, but I cannot detect much more that a hint of “new hip in there” soreness.  My other hip is in the early stages of wearing out, and my ankles smart after a full workout, but my new hip is golden.

Let me know how it goes when you start back…

Sincerely,
Wes
Wes
7-13-09

tmaroo56

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »
I thought I would give an update again. I am 13 months post-op now. I was playing basketball about three times a week. Then I had a non-hip setback (tore MCL on other leg at the end of Sept '09). But after a four month hiatus, I am back to playing 2-3 times a week. The hip still feels great. I do get a little sore in the groin on the side of my hip, but it is muscle/tendon related. Its enough to be noticed, but that's all.

I keep up on my weight lifting. I want everything strong around my hips and knees.

I am so thankful that I found this procedure. I rarely even think about my hip. Basketball is my passion outside of my family, and I just couldn't imagine giving it up at age 41. Its nice to be able to play at a decent level as well.

I hope everyone else is doing well, as all is well in Seattle!

T

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat