+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for Dr in Orange County California  (Read 5480 times)

socalhippy

Looking for Dr in Orange County California
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:24:45 PM »
Hi

I came across the website in my new quest for information on Hip Resurfacing.  What a great source of information.  I am 37 and have had 3 cortisone shots, and 2 hip surgeries in the past 12 months.    We thought all was well but the last 5 months have been miserable and  my most recent trip to the Dr shows my only hope for relief will be hip resurfacing.   Does anyone have any experience with any of the ortho surgeons in Orange County California?    I am open to any and all suggestions.   While it seems to be a scary surgery I am very encouraged and excited by all of the great stories of recovery and pain free living!!!   :)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:28:39 PM by kwright »
Kelly
LH/Schmalzried
7/27/09

wayne-0

Re: Looking for Dr in Orange County California
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »
I live in Orange County and really couldn't find any experienced Dr with hip resurfacing here. Your best bet is up in L.A. with Dr. Schmalzried or San Diego with Dr. Ball. I had bi-lateral resurfacing done on Nov 7th 08 with Dr. Ball and the results turned out fantastic. Good luck.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

socalhippy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:24:03 AM »
Hi Wayne

Thank you.   That is what I thought too.    My concern was the follow up appointments and the distance to travel but they do look like the best in our area.  I am very optimistic based on the information I have found so far.   Glad to hear you are doing well.

Have a good one!
Kelly
LH/Schmalzried
7/27/09

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 03:36:14 PM »
Read Dr. Schmalzried's  http://www.surfacehippy.info/schmalzriedchat2-4-09.php chats, he seems like a really neat doctor.  I attended his Feb chat and he was very interesting and he seemed to enjoy the chat.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »
BTW--- the surgery is only scary if you watch the youtube videos of it..... the surgery in a good doctor's hands is not all that difficult, just make sure that you pick someone with experience. 

Always remember it's experience experience experience experience experience experience.  Too many patients have come back here admitting that they took the easy route and now have to get 2nd and 3rd surgeries.

You will do fine, the worry before is by far worse than the after results in almost all cases.  You will come out of it saying, "what was I worried about?"

Chuck

Hi

I came across the website in my new quest for information on Hip Resurfacing.  What a great source of information.  I am 37 and have had 3 cortisone shots, and 2 hip surgeries in the past 12 months.    We thought all was well but the last 5 months have been miserable and  my most recent trip to the Dr shows my only hope for relief will be hip resurfacing.   Does anyone have any experience with any of the ortho surgeons in Orange County California?    I am open to any and all suggestions.   While it seems to be a scary surgery I am very encouraged and excited by all of the great stories of recovery and pain free living!!!   :)

Chuck
8-6-08

socalhippy

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:47:46 PM »
Thank you.   Everyone's stories are great and I am so excited at the mere idea of dumping the cane and cruising around.   I appreciate the input.   I don't want to take any shortcuts on this one.    I will probably have many more questions.......one thing I am curious about....what is the avg hospital stay following the procedure?
Kelly
LH/Schmalzried
7/27/09

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:10:37 AM »
Gotta go with Chuck on this one. Use someone who has LOTS of experience doing re-surfacings and who cares how far you have to go.
  My Dr. seemed confident and knowledgable and even though he had only done 50 or so re-surfacings I had confidence in his ability.......
I wound up with a steep cup (65 degrees), about a 2 mile long incision, boatloads of un-wanted stress, plus the extra added bonus of knowing it's not right, Awesome !!!!.........
  I live in south orange county and drove to ontario because I have Kaiser and that was the closest place for me to go, OC to San Diego or LA for an experienced doctor is a no brainer. I think the average stay is 3 days.  Good luck!! , and keep us posted,  Bill.

ps. I have one of those tall toilet seat things with the handles if your interested, let me know.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:12:52 AM by B.I.L.L. »

karenj_m

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 08:08:13 AM »
Social Hippy (name?):

Everyone is correct!!!

You MUST >.. MUST>> get a surgeon with specifically "Hip resurfacing" experience...not a whole bunch of THR's (total hip replacement)...they are liike apples and oranges!!!!

You have excellent choices in California...do NOT worry about travel - really! I flew from Northern NY (near the Canadian border) to South Carolina for one of the best surgeons. I go to my local doc for xrays, PT prescriptions, etc to send updated info to Dr. Gross via email or regular mail.  Go to the best in your state!!! This is soooooo important!

You have (their numbers are higher now):

Harlan Amstutz , MD
1300 Hip Resurfacings to date
Joint Replacement Institute at St. Vincent Medical Center
2200 West Third Street, Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA 90057
213 - 484-7600 phone
213-484-7670 fax
JRIinfo@dochs.org
http://www.jri-docs.com/

Thomas Schmalzried, MD
500 Hip Resurfacings to date
Joint Replacement Institute at St. Vincent Medical Center
2200 West Third Street, Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA 90057
213 - 484-7600 phone
213-484-7670 fax
JRIinfo@dochs.org
http://www.jri-docs.com/

also Dr. Ure is doing quite well (based on patient responses):

Keith Ure, MD
350 Hip Resurfacings to date***
Doctors Park
635 Lassen Lane Suite 100
Mt Shasta, CA 96067
530-926-5211
Email: info@doctors-park.net
Doctors Park Website

You are paying for this, its your hip...you want to do it once and move on with an active lifestyle....be choosey...ask questions...be aggressive!!

We are all here to help ... and wish you the very best :)

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

socalhippy

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »
I made the appointment.   I will be seeing Dr. Schmalzried on April 28th!
Kelly
LH/Schmalzried
7/27/09

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 03:51:06 PM »
I made the appointment.   I will be seeing Dr. Schmalzried on April 28th!

Congratulations.     Step 2. Find a Dr.          CHECK !! 

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 07:15:12 PM »
Bill,

How are you doing with that hip?

I was thinking about you the other day.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 07:56:29 PM »
Bill,

How are you doing with that hip?

I was thinking about you the other day.

Chuck

Hey Chuck, I had my computer go down for awhile, and got really busy at work so I haven't been posting as much as I'd like to.  I enjoy surfing this site waaay more than work haha. 
I'll post a 7 month update.

Socalhippy,  I don't think you mentioned wich side and that you've had 2 surgery's, is that 2 on 1 side? or a matching set ?

socalhippy

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:28:56 PM »
Hi

My left side is the problem.   I had two arthroscopic surgeries last year to remove torn cartilege and some extra bone that had built up in the socket (hip impingement).  We were hoping I would get to age 50 but looks like 38 is it.

kelly
Kelly
LH/Schmalzried
7/27/09

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM