+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any Dr. info for RTP area in NC?  (Read 3471 times)

sendero8

Any Dr. info for RTP area in NC?
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:50:50 PM »
Does anyone have any information on a surgeon in the RTP area, or anyway in North Carolina?  Have found a couple that perform the surgery, but hard to get any other information.  Thank you!

Patty

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Any Dr. info for RTP area in NC?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »
Hi Patty

Welcome to Hip Talk.

You are very close to Dr. Gross in SC.  He is one of the most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons in the US.  He has done over 1800 resurfacings.  There are many happy Gross Surface Hippies on this Group.  I am sure you will hear from some of them.

Many of us had to travel great distances to have our hips resurfaced. I traveled to Belgium since I did not have insurance.  I drove from Southern Ohio to Columbia SC to video interview Dr. Gross.  The trip did not seem that long.  I would not hesitate driving to SC to have my hip resurfaced with him.  People have traveled from all over the US to use him.

I wish you good luck.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

karenj_m

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »
Patty:

There is one in NC on Pat's surgeon's list with some kind of a "count"...I don't know much about him (failure rate, etc.):

Riyaz H. Jinnah, MD - BHR trained 2006
300 Hip Resurfacings to date***
Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
Orthopedic Surgery
Medical Center Boulevard
Winston-Salem NC 27157-1070
Phone (336) 716-8093
Website

You might consider seeing Dr. Gross in SC who's done over 1800 resurfacings :) He's in Columbia.

www.grossortho.com

Let us know if you have any questions...

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

sendero8

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:37:03 AM »
Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it!  I am in the process of obtaining my Xray and MRI films for Dr. Gross to look at. I had them done here in Raleigh by a Dr. that said I would be a candidate for resurfacing, but he did not perform those.  My only worry is that I have AVN, and cysts.  We'll see what Dr. Gross says. I suppose if  it is not possible to do the HR, I may look at the large ball THR - (is that the MOM THR?- still new to all of this).

Thank you so much again, I'll keep you posted on what I find out!

Patty

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »
Hi Patty

AVN is one of the most common reasons people have resurfacing.  If a person waits too long with very advanced AVN, then they could lose the window of opportunity to have a resurfacing.  A doctor will be able to tell you if you are a candidate and how advanced your AVN is.

Also many of us had cysts.  They are very common with hip problems.  The surgeons can normally fill them when they do a resurfacing.

You will be in good hands with Dr. Gross.  He and Lee Webb will explain it all to you.

A MOM  metal on metal  THR uses the same type of acetabular cup as a hip resurfacing, but the cap of the device is attached to a long, larger femor device.  If you have a resurfacing and at some point needed a revision, it is possible to keep the acetabulur cup and only replace the femur device.  I have a large website about THRs which you might want to look at.  It explains all the different devices. Many people have had MOM thrs and are as active as people with hip resurfacings.  They just had to have a larger amount of their femur bone cut off.  http://www.hipsforyou.com  There are even more mid head type of devices inbetween the resurfacing and THRS being developed. The medical field of hip replacement is changing every day.

Good Luck.

Pat
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:50:49 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sendero8

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:21:56 AM »
Pat,

Thank you so much, you are a wealth of knowledge!  I'll keep you posted on things. I am sending the films out to Dr. Gross to review.

Have a great day!
Patty

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat