+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7 Month update  (Read 1602 times)

B.I.L.L.

7 Month update
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:45:36 AM »
Hey guys, just thought I'd update you as I aproach my 7 month mark next week.  For those of you that don't know I was having a slow recovery and had a steep (65 degree) cup angle that was listed as a failure by one doctor and a cup revision surgery was actually scheduled for last month. After many 2nd opinions the decision was to leave it alone, x-ray it every 6 months and hope for the best. The reason being that it is not worth losing anymore bone in the pelvis until its absolutely needed. I was told it will probably not last as long as it should do to the edge loading caused by the steep angle, but a big part of that has to do with how my body reacts to the metal ions that will collect in the surrounding tissue, some peoples bodies don't mind the ions, but in some people the body attacks the foreign debris and will cause the bond to loosen over time.  If that happens a thr will more than likely be needed,  but...and this is a big but, it may be ok for years, no one can really predict how long it will last so they want to do x-rays every 6 months to check for any gaps developing in the bond between the bone and componets and go from there. So thats the plan. They can test my blood for ions too but Kaiser "dosen't have any way to test for that" so they look for any compromises via x-rays every 6 months   

I'm happy to report that it is starting to work very well and we have been doing things I haven't been able to do in years.  We have been riding bicycles and hiking on the weekends and I have even ridden my dirt bike around in the desert, and last week was able to stand up on a surfboard. My biggest problem right now is that while I am back at work if my employee flakes or quits I cannot get the work done. I have a pool service and repair business. I hire guys to do the weekly cleaning and I run the show and do all the repair work.  My problem is about a month ago my main guy screwed off for about 2 weeks and I had to fire him, leaving me scrambling to save the business (lots of un-happy customers with pools that were ignored for 2 or more weeks) And while the hip is good enough to do repairwork, I can't do the route. The bending over, carrying heavy equipment in and out of the yards, twisting and turning while netting and brushing, bending over constantly, not to mention getting in and out of the car 30 times a day, the hips not there yet. I've been struggling the last 3 weeks and feel like I'm over doing it, but until I can find a reliable guy I have no choice. It's been swelling up by the end of the day and I ice it every night but some mornings its puffy and swolen when I wake up so it never really gets to "recover".   Up until I had to fire that fool it was working great, and on the weekends after I give it some rest it feels fine as well.  So I am happy, its coming along good.  I just need to find another reliable employee so I can give it a break and get back to the repairwork and office duties.  Shoulda stayed in school HaHa.
I need to get to where I just "Run the show"      So anyways enough of that. Bottom line is the hip is working well, I'm easing back into hiking and biking and surfing and all that good stuff, I just need to re-structure my business so I don't kill myself working like a 20 year old laborer.....Oh well it's all good, it's waaay better than before thats for sure !!  Next x-ray is 3 months away, I'll keep you guys up to date, Bill   

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 7 Month update
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:26:20 AM »
Hi Bill

Glad to hear things are going a bit better for you.  I am sure all of us hope things continue to go better for you.  It is not good to deal with components "not placed as perfectly as they could be." 

Sorry to hear about your lack of good help.  I hope you can find someone soon.

Thanks for posting an update.  I know everyone was concerned about your cup placement and we all want a good recovery for you.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:29:49 AM »
Hey Bill,

Glad to hear you're doing well, I too work for myself, but luckily I have only one person to worry about, me---- however I've worked in positions where I had people under me and it's a pain in the butt for sure.  Nobody is going to do the job that you will.

You may very well go to the grave with that new hip, you never know, hopefully your body won't mind the extra ions that it's getting in the hip area.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

JeanM

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »
Hi Bill,
You are amazing to be so tolerant of the placement error.  I'm glad that you feel it's manageable.  I hope you find some help soon.  Geez!  I would think that it would be easy to find a decent 'pool guy/gal' in this economy!

Good Luck!
Jean
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat