+-

Author Topic: My surgery with Mcminn Friday  (Read 2152 times)

swilliams

My surgery with Mcminn Friday
« on: April 19, 2009, 06:14:38 AM »
Just wanted to thank you guys for all the info - I'm off to see Mr McMinn on Friday to see if I am suitable to have a hip resurfacing op too. Keep your fingers crossed for me and if you hear a knocking sound on Friday morning it will be my knees!!!

Wouldn't mind hearing anyone's opinions about if you think a game girl will be able to manage alone in a two storey house when she comes home (2 hrs from Birmingham)? No family, friends a long way away and no neighbours really limits my options! Not sure if Social Services will help a privately funded patient (can't see why they shouldn't)??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated - particularly on the subject of after op requirements - and I'll keep in touch in the hope of being able to help someone else like you've helped me.

S x

shelley

My surgery with Mcminn Friday
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
Hi S,

The biggie when you're back home will be dealing with the TED stockings. I had my surgery with Mr Mcminn last September and managed everything reasonably well except for knicks and stockings. You're not allowed to bend further than 90deg at the hip which means that it's impossible to put on or take off stockings, which have to be worn day and night for 6 weeks. You will need to sort out some help on a daily basis for this. Otherwise, I can't see any probs. Good luck!!
Shelley

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: My surgery with Mcminn Friday
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:20:02 AM »
Hi
Welcome to Hip Talk.

Many people have managed alone after leaving the hospital.  It might be a good idea to plan ahead a bit.  They normally teach you how to go up and down the stairs.  The first few days will be the most difficult.  You will be very tired and probably not able to carry anything in your hands.  Maybe you should think about moving your bed to the first floor for a week or so - or plan to sleep on the couch or recliner chair.  I spent a great deal of time in my recliner since it was more comfortable.  If you bathroom is upstairs, that could be more of a problem.  You will be able to go up and down, but you probably won't want to do it too many times during the begining.  A couple times a day would probably be OK, much more might be difficult in the first few days due to your lack of energy and incision tenderness.

Maybe you could get a neighbor to look in on you for the first several days.  Get your food ready to you can just eat sandwiches or nuke things.  Preplaning is the key.  You are not an invalid. When moving around the kitchen, you can hang onto the counters to be able to do things - or at least many people have found that.  You probably won't eat a great deal in the begining - you will want to sleep, sleep and sleep.

Just think ahead a bit and try to find a neighbor to look in on you.  How about a local church - ask if someone would look in for the first few days.  There are many people that would be happy to help if you are willing to ask.  You won't need much since you will be resting most of the time.  I was sight seeing by 5 days post op in Belgium, so you can see how quickly you can recover.  I left the hospital in 2 1/2 days and stayed at the Holiday Inn.  I ate every meal in their resturant and crutched around the hotel.  You have the most difficulty lifting the operated leg onto the bed.  You can put your good leg under it or grab your pants with you hand to pull it up. 

You will be moving slowly, but you will not be an invalid.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tekka

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:04:13 PM »
Hello S

I had a LBHR in January with Mr McMinn, the first few days are tough because you have had major surgery and your body is coping with the recovery, however as Pat points out we are not invalids and forward planning with a positive attitude really does help, I was back at work after 10 days and full time after 2 weeks, that said I do not have a physical job and I was collected and dropped off to my home every day for the first six weeks. I am trying to imagine not having my wife with me after surgery and if i'm honest I think it would have been tough but just about do able with planning..

I hope it goes well for you and please let us know how you get on, you are choosing one of the greats !!!

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

swilliams

Many thanks!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 10:37:39 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement. I had already decided to abandon wearing knickers for a while Shelly (thank heavens it's going to be the summer)!  ;)
As for putting stockings on - seen a cute device that's intended to help with such things see http://www.cosyfeet.com/closed-toe-compression-stocking-fitter-p-46.html - So, if I don't get any human help, I may invest!

Will report back progress but am already heavily into the planning stages.

Love to all
S x

shelley

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »
Hi S,

Don't want to be a killjoy but the stocking for the operated leg is toe to top of thigh with a panel up outside of hip to waist level, then a waistband that secures with a velcro fastening. It has to be stretched on up the leg and it fits like a vice! I'm not sure thar this device will handle it but I guess it's worth a try. On the unoperated leg you get a knee length standard TED stocking which won't be a problem.The staff will deal with the stockings in the hospital - suggest you speak to them and to Mr McMinn's staff about it. Once again, good luck!

Shelley

swilliams

Re: My First meeting with Mr McMinn
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:55:57 AM »
Well I'm back home after my meeting with Mr McMinn - gosh, what an interesting guy! X Rays were discussed and he explained everything clearly with patience,  charm and wit. He has quite a waiting list, which his admin staff are currently juggling on the basis of those in the most pain/greatest need - so it might be 2 or 3 months before I get to report any further activity as I can still make it around Sainsbury's behind (but wanting to get in  :'( ) the trolley! Gives me time to work out how I'm going to deal with those very sexy compression stockings!
Best to all.
S x

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 02:29:26 PM »
Glad all went well with Mr. McMinn. He certainly is one of the world's best hip resurfacing surgeons.  It will be worth the wait.  The time will go by quickly and you can dream about how great your new hip will be.

Thanks for telling us about your experince.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

swilliams

Re: My surgery with Mcminn
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 04:34:49 AM »
Thanks Pat.

A quick up-date - I haven't been idle since I was last in touch and, even though my surgery date is still nearly 2 months off, I've been using the time to get my 'ducks in a row' ready for after the event.

I have harnessed the support of the Local Health Board's Occupational Therapist and she's going to appear shortly with lots of kit to help me through the first few weeks after the op. You know the kind of thing: frame for around the loo; commode, perching stool; alarm button (because I live alone) etc. Further she's going to organise a pair of crutches and is going to get me practising on my wooden staircase BEFORE the op. Helpful!

We've all done a lot of head-scratching about my bathing arrangements (my shower is over the bath that's too high-sided to get in and out of without bending)  - just glad it's going to be summer and that I live in a remote area, as a hose-pipe in the garden is the best option we've come up with so far!!!

Looks like I will have 3 visits a day from a help-team, once I come home, which should be a great help too and I'm notifying all my friends that they will be enthusiastically welcomed to my home, during the 6 weeks non-driving period, because I anticipate boredom will be my greatest challenge!

I am off to the local hospital today to see if I can persaude them to give me regular work-outs in their hydro-therapy pool. Need as much exercise as I can stand (I have good days and bad days) in order to get my rear end in prime condition - it's going to be the best rear end in Wales soon!!!!  ;)

Best wishes
S x

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats