+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trouble with Leg Lifts  (Read 2274 times)

mari

Trouble with Leg Lifts
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:29:41 PM »
I am almost at 10 weeks post-op and am doing great.  People tell me I am walking well; they remember my old limp.  I am able to do all my exercises well except the leg lifts while lying on my back.  The lifts lying on my side work well, but in the supine position my muscles seem to be too weak to hold my leg up longer than 5-7 seconds.  I can't seem to progress to more than 10-15.  Does anybody have any hints as to how I can strengthen those muscles?  If I just keep on trying to increase the leg lifts will the muscles eventually get stronger?
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

obxpelican

Re: Trouble with Leg Lifts
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:08:30 PM »
Mari,

@ 10 weeks you sound like you are doing fine, some people who never had surgery cannot hold their legs up longer than you are right now.... keep working at it, you sound committed to your exercise regime and that is a good thing.

One thing you can do, have someone gently push very lightly raise up when you cannot get that last one in, if it hurts, stop though.  Sometimes your partner just by putting a few ounces of upward pressure will trick your brain into thinking they are doing more thus strengthening your muscle.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

stevel

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:07:43 AM »
Mari,

My Doctor's physician assistant told me not to do leg lifts in the supine position.  Leg lifts laying on the side were OK.  I don't remember why supine leg lifts were a problem for a hip resurfacing patient.  You might ask your doctor or his physician assistant before proceeding.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:45:10 AM »
Dr. Gross opens it up after 6 weeks, the excercises from post-op to 6 weeks are rather wimpy.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 11:51:44 AM »
If I just keep on trying to increase the leg lifts will the muscles eventually get stronger?

Mine did  :) That exact exercise was my PT nightmare, and my therapist's favorite! He would put a pillow that was about 8" high and about 8" from my leg. The goal was to put my foot on the pillow. This meant I had to raise my leg up and then move it over. It felt like my thigh/groin was going to explode. At first I could do 2. Now (I am 10 weeks post op as well) I can do them all day. I just kept at it. Within reason, trust that you hip is OK and that your muscles are sore. They will get stronger :)

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
All doctor's protocol's are different.

Some are easy, some require you to do PT, some allow you to do home PT.  Most patients of Dr. Gross do not use PT and tend to walk and do his phase II excercises on their own.

Whatever you do, listen to your doctor, none of us are doctors.... Pat is as close as we come, she has a half a PHD.  ;D

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

mari

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »
Hey, thanks for your replies.  Dr. Gross is my doctor and I am following his PT instructions.  I thought I would check with others to see if I was the only one having trouble, but it sounds like some of you have experienced this too.  If I don't see improvement I will ask Dr. Gross or Lee Webb about it.  Until then I will keep plugging away within reason :)
Right Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross February 2009

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:58:55 PM »
Mari,

Sorry.... I forgot you were a Dr. Gross hippy,  I should have known it by the excercises you described --- D

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat