+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Falling  (Read 2506 times)

cash

Falling
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:40:42 PM »
 This site is so informative I'm just wondering if anyone is aware if there any info and or messages about a fellow hippy who has fallen down ?

Todd

Re: Falling
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:49:06 AM »
Cash,

I'm 4 months out on my left hip and took a spill on Wednesday actually.  I was backing my ATV off a trailer when one of the ramps broke.  I was able to jump clear of the machine, but I took a pretty good fall and roll.  Happy to report that the new hip survived without any pain or problem.  My right hip which is getting resurfaced in 5 days is another story.  The impact and extension of that leg beyond where it has moved for a long time certainly inflamed the joint.  I'm confident that the new hip can hold up to most anything. 
Todd  LBHR, Dr. David Palmer 1/7/09; RBHR 5/6/09 St. Croix Orthopedics, Stillwater, MN

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:14:31 AM »
Hi

I have read stories about a number of Surface Hippies that have fallen.  In most cases, there has been no damage.  I do remember one that actually snapped the stem of his femur component and had to be revised to a THR.   That type of damage is very unusual, however.

Once your hip has healed with a good amount of bone growth, a fall will not normally injure your new hip.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dw

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »
This site is so informative I'm just wondering if anyone is aware if there any info and or messages about a fellow hippy who has fallen down ?

I believe what's his name the biker guy (not Lance, the other one - oh yeah Landis) competed recently on his resurfaced hip in a mountain bike race and took a pretty good fall with no ill effects. I imagine that most people who have gone back to an active lifestyle (skiing, skating, surfing, bike riding -- motorized or not) have taken a spill. My doc said it's really abuot a year before everything is healed up. I'm 4 moths out, still sore, and still working on range of motion, and am still learning to trust the leg.

cash

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »
Thanks for your responses, wow this site creates the ultimate peace of mind thru people that have had actual experiences thank you so much for this Pat !

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:20:06 PM »
Last month I slipped on some wet newspaper and landed square on my operated hip and other than the pain from landing my hip is/was fine.

That hardware is not on the surface and it's protected by muscle and tissue, it would probably take a lot to mess things up post-6 months.

Dr. Gross has never had a femoral neck fracture after 6 months post-op.  I am sure that is pretty much the case of most surgeons.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 01:03:53 AM »
I fell at about 7 weeks, while balancing on the edges of the bath tub trying to change a ceiling light. A very awkward fall that scared the %$&# out of me, but no ill affects afterwards. :o
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

takilasunrise

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 12:20:13 PM »
Hand up!  Did it twice! 

The first time was about a month after my surgery...I decided to go down into the basement for something (I think it had to do with laundry) and when I hit the 4th or 5th step from the bottom, my foot slipped out, I sat right down on my butt, and sledded all the way down to the bottom.  Thank goodness I was wearing my nylon athletic pants, so they were slippery.  Didn't really hurt myself, except maybe my arm from trying to catch myself.  I had to call for my husband because I didn't know how to get back up!  The second time was probably a couple of months after my surgery.  The front screen door doesn't always close all the way and we have a dog that will escape whenever she gets the chance.  I let her up from the backyard and saw her run straight towards the front door, which I could see was open!  I started to jog towards the door (yeah, like I'm going to beat a Jack Russell Terrier to the door) to hopefully shut it, but instead I tripped where the kitchen floor meets the carpet.  I "dived" through the air and landed on the right side of my body, you know, the new hip side!  I hit the ground so hard it knocked the air out of me!  My husband heard it from upstairs, he came running downstairs asking what happened, and I couldn't talk for a minute or so, so he was all freaked out.  He helped me back up and I was expecting major pain to my hip or leg, but nothing!  And the dog?  Well, I scared the you-know-what out of her when I fell, so she ran the opposite direction and never made it to the door!  I guess our hips are more durable then we think!  Thank goodness! 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear