+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How soon in the water ?  (Read 4418 times)

cash

How soon in the water ?
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »
Hi Fellow Hippies how soon after surgery are we able to go into the water to workout ?

Tekka

Re: How soon in the water ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 04:31:57 AM »
Hi Cash,

From what I remember it is when the incision is scab free, but I would check with your doc because you still need to follow certain protocol's.

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

n9gun

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:34:14 AM »
I was allowed at 8 weeks.  It was based on the scar completely healed and closed.

Make sure you check with your Dr.

It felt great to get back in the pool.  I do lots of streches in the hot tub.

Best of lick,
Tom

hipster

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:51:23 AM »
Started swimming on day 19! Swam quite a few laps and did some water walking. It felt great! Dr. Mont said it was fine as long as incision was healed. Today is day 25 and I will be swimming for the third time.

Lou
RHR Wright C+/Dr. Mont/4-9-09

Bierhead

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:25:39 PM »
Lou, I had a LHR with Dr. Mont exactly one week ago.  I swam quite a bit before surgery and can't wait to return to the pool !  I assumed we were to wait until the 5 week restrictions were lifted. Did you ask Dr. Mont specifically about swimming sooner?  I definitely won't go too soon, but any little bit earlier is something to get excited about! Thanks for filling me in.... 
Kristen
LHR /Wright C+/ Dr.Mont/ May 14, 2009

John C

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:10:33 PM »
My instructions were to wait until it was completely scab free, which was at about three or four weeks. Getting in the water was the best part of the rehab process.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Bierhead

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 05:37:11 AM »
When you did return to the water, were you able to flip turn and kick off the wall? Just thinking about it makes me cringe. I have been so careful with my new hip and know I will be paranoid! Thanks...

karenj_m

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 08:13:35 AM »
Water is great! :)

But is it really necessary to "flip or kick or the wall" that soon?

Remember, the device does NOT "lock into the bone" until approximately 4-6 months depending on your recovery, bone quality, etc....

Enjoy the water...but I would really make sure to follow protocol from your surgeon, and NOT do any certain kick movement unless he clears it.

Splash....splash :)

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

Bierhead

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 08:21:26 AM »
Thanks Karen.
Thats exactly what I was wondering about...when people say "return to swimming" are we talking about full on lap swimming or are we referring to certain water exercises to strengthen the muscles? 

On that note, can anyone tell me what they did in the water?  Is there a link to certain exercises I can look at? a book?  I definitely don't want to push forth and get injured. But, I can't wait to return to the water!!

Thank for the help!!!

karenj_m

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 08:30:54 AM »
It should be Aqua-therapy...not full blown olympic-style swimming.

Here is my surgeons info (this is phase II exercises - starting at six weeks post-op):

SWIMMING: This is an excellent exercise. You should use a gentle flutter kick
and avoid the frog kick. The side stroke with a scissors kick is also allowable.
Water aerobics are also an excellent form of exercise.

Other info I have learned from some PT folks in earlier postings is standing in the water waist deep, and gentle walk sideways like a crab, to strengthen the hip adductors (and abductors). Also, lifting the knee up / placing back down...

Make sure your surgeon gives you a Aqua-Therapy protocol to follow or to work with an aqua therapist to use the water as PT, instead of recreation....

Recreation comes later :)

Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 09:16:18 AM »
For my water therapy that I got to do in the ocean on my island was walking around, swimming and then stretching.  After my scar closed and after being able to wash there I felt ready to go in the water, I think that was at that 3 week mark.  I used my better judgement for how far I would take things.  I also used a snorkle and mask along with swim fins, and just enjoyed the time in the water.  I would imagine what my muscles were doing as I experimented with all assortments of styles of kicks and swims.(was nice to be fluid with the fish and marine life)  Glad to say that the swimming and rest of my PT worked, I was a hare of a recovery and now at 7 months, pretty much have very little memory of my old hip problem.  I just now need to learn to stretch more for that was always my weakness in life. 

Happy healing!
Eric

Nov 3, 2008
RBhr

Whit

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »
I am 24 days post-op. I had my staples removed on day 14.  I was allowed to shower that evening.  I asked about swimming and was told to wait a few days until the staple holes healed up a bit.

My doc told me I could swim laps but I absolutely cannot kick!  He said to put the floats between my knees and just use upper body.  I'm not sure when I will be allowed to kick again. I was hoping to swim some laps last week (week 3 post-op) but was just feeling too tired, still.

However, I was told walking in the water would be fantastic.  I finally had the chance to take my kids to the pool today. I got in the water and loved it!  I was able to walk with a normal stride without any limp. (I'm still using a cane on dry land).   I can't wait to do it again.  I am hoping to get to the Y this week and start swimming laps again.
LBHR 06/04/2009 Dr. Ward
RBHR 01/14/2010 Dr. Ward

cash

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
Absolutely 100%, the water is the way to go, it will speed up your recovery time and provide you with a safe alternative workout. I am 3 months post op and my recovery is amazing I feel great and I know this is all due to my water workout/therapy.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear